Best thermal interface material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best thermal interface material?

I've been using Arctic Silver 5 for more than a decade and I've been satisfied with its thermal conductivity and also its long term endurance.

Nearly everyone in this forum has experienced the situation of CPU heatsink removal leading to CPU removal, because the cheap TIM had gone completely dry. After separating them carefully with a screwdriver, the cleaning of CPU / cooler would be difficult too.

This has never happened to me with Arctic Silver 5.

Now I feel it's time for a change. AS5 is quite old and many products with better results are available. I am running out of AS5 anytime soon.

What is the best thermal interface material out there?

Thermal conductivity is not the most important factor though, because it is pointless to gain 2 to 3°C at first, if the TIM is gradually deteriorating from thermal cycles, high temps and stress and after a couple of years becomes dried up and sticky leading to laptop / desktop overheating.

So, I am interested in your long term experience with different pastes. There are products with excellent thermal conductivity that had proven to be corrosive to copper or making scratches to CPU surface. I can't risk using anything like that.
    Last edited by goodpsusearch; 11-11-2015, 06:11 AM.

Re: Best thermal interface material?

Im staying with AS5 personally...
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

AS5 gets my vote as well. Been using it for years without any complaints.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

AS5 here too. If there is something better, it's news to me.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

i was using as5, but for cost reasons, i just got some MX4.
          it's supposed to be pretty similar, but it's based on carbon rather than silver.

because when your doing ps3's you use a hell of a lot of paste!
          so a 20g pack sure beats a 2.5g or whatever one!

Comment

I've been using Ceramique 2. A fair bit cheaper than AS5 and unless you're doing some odd insane overclocking you won't notice a difference in temps.

Comment

As 5 here too !
              Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Been using AS5 since forever but since my tube dried out (it's a big tube that is several years old)
                I've now bought something called Gelid GC-Extreme
                It's cheaper and according to reviews performs a bit better.
                Of course no idea about if the long term stability is as good as AS5.
                Already managed to misplaced my first tube too so ordered a new one that arrived today.
                Fantastic eh?
                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

i would recommend arctic mx-4 and gelid gc-extreme too. u can also try shin etsu x23-7783d if u can ever find it but no promises on its long term reliability! all three perform equal to or even better than as5 if u apply them right.

the gelid paste comes with a spatula for helping u to apply the paste so no excuses for poor thermal paste application skillz!
                  Last edited by ChaosLegionnaire; 11-11-2015, 01:05 PM.

Comment

I know that it's not that common but I'd recommend Spire SP-456/1G.

It does wonders for me,regardless of the platform.

Even for 3GHz Prescott HT Pentium 4 systems.
                    Main rig:
                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                    16GB DDR3-1600
                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

I used AS5 on a skylake i7-6700K (naitive 4ghz clock) just monday

idle was about 39c, prime 95 burn maxed about 86c before the fan dropped it out average about 82c
                      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

I use Arctic Cooling MX2. I notice that the original substance used in almost all laptops exactly resembles hardened MX2 or similar.

Comment

Being perpetually short on funds, I've been using Radio Shack's silicone based heat sink compound for years now, seems to be sufficiently effective for everything I've used it on so far (PC's, amplifiers, PSU's); even used it to replace thermal glues and tapes,
                          ymmv

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                            prime 95 burn maxed about 86c before the fan dropped it out average about 82c
                            Looks like the heatsink may not be seated properly.
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

32 GB G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVR

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by xelectech View Post
                              Being perpetually short on funds, I've been using Radio Shack's silicone based heat sink compound for years now, seems to be sufficiently effective for everything I've used it on so far (PC's, amplifiers, PSU's); even used it to replace thermal glues and tapes,
                              ymmv
                              From my experience this no name stuff is of low quality that hardens and dries up as it deteriorates gradually making PC overheating.

If you are on a budget, there are some value for money thermal pastes available:

Arctic MX-4 20g
                              http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-MX-4-...gAAOSwymxVNAts
                              I found it locally for 15€.

I also found Arctic MX-2 30g for 19€.

Another decent and cheap paste: Arctic Ceramique 2 25G:
                              http://www.ebay.com/itm/GI2703-Arcti...oAAOSwu4BVnUAR
                              Available in Greece for just 7 €!

I would never risk using an unknown paste. Durability is critical.

Comment

look at the sellers postage details - very strange!
                                http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361421463688
                                http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181909219317
                                Last edited by stj; 11-12-2015, 09:58 AM.

Comment

>From my experience this no name stuff is of low quality that hardens and dries up as it >deteriorates gradually making PC overheating.

Haven't experienced that yet with the RS stuff, which, price-wise compares to the
                                  AS Ceramique 2, approximately (the RS stuff comes in 6.5 gram tubes). I wonder if the actual ingredients are all that different between the two, I tried to take a pic but the
                                  printing is too small, so thought I'd list 'em in case it's of interest:
                                  polydimethylsiloxane, zinc oxide, polytetrafluoroethylene, fumed silica.

Now I'm wondering what all was in that zinc-oxide heatsink compound that was used back in the 70's.

>If you are on a budget, there are some value for money thermal pastes available:

Arctic MX-4 20g
                                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-MX-4-...gAAOSwymxVNAts
                                  I found it locally for 15€.

>I also found Arctic MX-2 30g for 19€.

>Another decent and cheap paste: Arctic Ceramique 2 25G:
                                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/GI2703-Arcti...oAAOSwu4BVnUAR
                                  >Available in Greece for just 7 €!

Thanks for listing some possibilities.

>I would never risk using an unknown paste. Durability is critical.

I guess the only way to see how good it is is to use it till it fails 8-).

Comment

zinc oxide is something you need to keep off your skin and out of your lungs.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                      look at the sellers postage details - very strange!
                                      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361421463688
                                      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181909219317
                                      That sure don't make any sense

Comment

Originally posted by Compgeke View Post
                                        I've been using Ceramique 2. A fair bit cheaper than AS5 and unless you're doing some odd insane overclocking you won't notice a difference in temps.
                                        I use the same as you get lots more bang for your buck and there is no real difference in performance.

Comment

Working...
                                        X