Prescott CPU wrecks another motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Prescott CPU wrecks another motherboard

I still use netburst on a couple of rigs... then again, they're dual CPU Xeon rigs

Agreed that P4's are generally not worth much in terms of time and money spent to maintain. Core 2 stuff is so cheap these days and yet so powerful for most applications. Heck, the only reason I went to an i7 for the laptop side is for playing minecraft (otherwise I'd still be using one of my core 2 based laptops, of which I have many).
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
      no, he put the PD back in and it booted up fine. I saw him take the c2d out and I didn't see any bent pins. Pentium D is 1.2v minimum, Core 2 E6x is usually 0.8 - 1.5v, but the startup voltage of this motherboard might have been different.
      I don't think the start up voltage had anything to do with it. There are plenty of people on online forums who overclocked their C2Ds with 1.6V and a bit more. But I will have to check the standard VID tables for Netburst/C2D to confirm.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
        Unless I get a really cheap Core2 to test, I don't think I want to try to see if it will work with them for fun.
        $2.89 + free shipping cheap enough?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111656740108
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
          I think they got some of those!
          Yes they exist, but none exists for $0 additional cost to me... =p

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
            $2.89 + free shipping cheap enough?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111656740108
            I'm thinking $0 ... =p

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
              I'm thinking $0 ... =p
              I'm amazed at how Intel spent Billions on making a factory to make CPUs that a few years later sell at $3 USD.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I'm amazed at how Intel spent Billions on making a factory to make CPUs that a few years later sell at $3 USD.
                Alas it's just one unit of the millions made. Also think of all the Prescotts and 8080's made.

Then again the 4004's probably are worth something once again...

Comment

I'm intrigued, although off topic - any reason for running such hardware? I throw away machines several times as powerful!

Re C2D kit with DDR1, there are quite a few motherboards doing that. Both ECS and Asrock made several models of board with DDR1, DDR1 & DDR2 and AGP & PCI Express

Comment

Originally posted by synaesthesia View Post
                    I'm intrigued, although off topic - any reason for running such hardware? I throw away machines several times as powerful!
                    For me, sometimes I fix them and give them away free to less fortunate families (single parents). For them, every little bit helps.

If you are throwing them away, consider donating them to people. I can easily run some lightweight linux with P4, 512MB DRAM and 40GB hard drive for basic email, web surfing, etc.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Where I'm at you can't even give a Pentium 4 away, nobody wants them.

While I don't throw away Core 2s, I understand why some do. It's not worth the effort or time to setup a system when you'll get $30 max selling them.

Comment

For me, sometimes I fix them and give them away free to less fortunate families (single parents). For them, every little bit helps.

If you are throwing them away, consider donating them to people. I can easily run some lightweight linux with P4, 512MB DRAM and 40GB hard drive for basic email, web surfing, etc.
                        Fair play. I do this a fair bit, but nothing under C2D. Just wondered if there was some other reasons for this; for instance I keep stock of some of the older machines at work for the Design department using CAD and CNC machines that'll only connect to Windows 98 systems

Comment

That's one reason why I still keep around some Pentium motherboards, despite having no real reason to. If anyone ever comes to me needing something with ISA slots or in AT formfactor for whatever equipment I have spares.

Apparently they all came from a local company that makes die sorters and such so a lot are decent boards, like Micronics or Deico boards.

Comment

Re: Prescott CPU wrecks another motherboard UPDATE

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
                            I must be one of the few still using my old Netburst machines, but those Presc-hotts just fried another of my Intel boards. Are the Cedar Mill CPUs any kinder (cooler)? What would you recommend?
                            I took the Intel 915 (socket 775) out of the case and attempted to get it going. It was a machine I had built for my son. Anyway I finally got it to boot Linux after I tried various sticks of Ram from my parts box. Apparently I have a lot of faulty DDR ram so the whole process took a while. The good news is all the Ram slots are OK.

My son had damaged the front panel ports and I'm thinking this shorted the Ram. He tripped and fell and tore the USB cable out of the front panel, ripping the guts of the socket out.

I ended up getting a C2D board as suggested, but for now he gets the old board back in a replacement all-steel case with no front ports connected!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                              65 nm Core 2 is 1.2 V for the norm. (1.5 V is the max allowed for overclocking)
                              1.2 V to 1.3 V is the normal non-OC Vcore range.

If that was a later Prescott, then it shouldn't even have a problem like that.

1.4 V is also acceptable, but only on 65 nm Core 2s that are OC'ed.
                              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 07-10-2015, 04:36 PM.
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

32 GB G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVR

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I still run quite a few Netburst CPUs, but they're all either Northwood or 65nm, no Prescott.
                                They're all doing basic tasks. I really like the reliability of the boards from the P4 days, once they have good caps. If a board was well designed to handle a 90nm Pentium 4/D, then putting in a 65nm Pentium 4/D or Core 2 will be easy on it.

My parents' main system is still a Pentium D 3.4GHz. Been their main machine for over 9 years now.

I just sold a Pentium 4 Prescott system for $225, as a file server. Works great, and got it for free originally of course

Comment

+1

A machine like that should be okay for checking email and paying bills online.

Originally posted by Pentium4
                                  I still run quite a few Netburst CPUs...
                                  Well, your user name here is Pentium4, is it not?

... but they're all either Northwood or 65nm, no Prescott.
                                  Funny. Most of mine are Prescott. With HT, of course.

People may not give HT a lot of credit, but it actually does make a huge difference. For example, I have plenty of equivalent or more powerful single-core socket 939 systems. They blow away the P4 CPUs when it comes to games and benchmarks. But try listening to music on YT or some other online streaming service while doing other (mildly heavy CPU) tasks in the same browser, and you likely will get stutter every once in a while in the audio.

With the P4 HT CPUs, this never happens. So HT really is helpful.

My parents' main system is still a Pentium D 3.4GHz. Been their main machine for over 9 years now.
                                  My parents still have a Dimension 3000 as their main PC. They got it back in 2006 (so also about 9 years now). Actually, they wanted to change it multiple times when it needed maintenance or became slow, but I just fixed it and upgraded it slightly each time. Most recently, I swapped the original 2.8 GHz P4 (non-HT) CPU for a 3 GHz P4 with HT, and added some RAM (1 GB now). Runs Windows 7 okay - well enough that may parents don't mind using it still.

I just sold a Pentium 4 Prescott system for $225, as a file server. Works great, and got it for free originally of course.
                                  Nice. I bet they didn't even think it was a P4.

One college kid asked me if my laptop (Dell Latitude C600) had a SSD in it, since it booted so quickly. I answer, 'No, it has a 3400 RPM IBM Deathstar and the CPU is a Pentium 3'. His reaction: .
                                  Last edited by momaka; 07-11-2015, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                    Runs Windows 7 okay - well enough that may parents don't mind using it still.
                                    Now show them MS Hearts on Windows 7 (and Vista) and they will hate every computer ever made, yet keep going back since that game is more addictive and destructive than crack.

Comment

I still occasionally use the P4 and as alluded to, these tend to be "sacrificial" machines. As in, I use them when there's a risk of destroying the machine... better these things get destroyed than my i7.

Hence my lack of desire to pay any more for these things, plus the fact that I have too many machines as it is.

I wish I could give some of these P4s away to someone who could use them. Unfortunately after hearing that Goodwill tends to recycle (as in sending overseas for scrapping) old machines I stopped donating them. Part of the problem is that I have no M$ licenses to give away.
                                      Last edited by eccerr0r; 07-11-2015, 04:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                      X