Dell inspiron 531 4gb ram 64 bit OS running very slowly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell inspiron 531 4gb ram 64 bit OS running very slowly

Hi all, I've just recently upgraded my Dell Insprion computer to a Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit operating system, and ever since then the computer's been loading very slow. Very slow, it takes 5 minutes to log into windows, then when it does log in, everything freezes and crashes. it has 4 gb of ram, and all this doesn't make any sense, really.

Re: Dell inspiron 531 4gb ram 64 bit OS running very slowly

4gig is just undercoat for microsoft.

Comment

Sounds like slow-laptop-HDD-syndrome.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Oh, but its a desktop computer, these are its specs:

Recently its gone through a ton of Windows Updates. like 192 updates, most of which were like updates for windows 7 x64 based system, a few on hardware and software. After doing all those updates, logging onto windows and loading up is just ridiculous. 5-10 minutes to log on? Then windows explorer freezes and crashes after logging in? Is this how these new computers behave like as well? Should I be aware before I consider getting a brand new one from stores?

by the way what does HDD stand for?
        Last edited by Vivi; 03-09-2015, 08:37 PM.

Comment

sounds like slow HDD to me.... i would come help you out since we are both in CO, but im currently in southern CO for the week.

pop open the device manager so we can see what you actually have....
          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

okay, (I'm guessing) these are all the devices I have on the computer itself.

Last edited by Vivi; 03-09-2015, 08:52 PM.

Comment

2 possibilities.

1. The HDD. Run a test with Seatools for DOS (which boots from a live CD)

2. The chipset. The Inspiron 531 looks to have an nVidia chipset with a Socket AM2 CPU (possibly the MCP61 nForce 430i chipset). Those chipsets have known manufacturing flaws, and slow disk access is a problem I've seen a few times on them when they fail. There is no cure for this, other than replacing your motherboard.
              Last edited by c_hegge; 03-09-2015, 09:13 PM.
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

hdd is known slow as molasses in January (sorry, TC), and chipset is known to be a dog.
                oops, chegge beat me to it!
                Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

that's confusing, so you mean, I have to replace the motherboard for the all things to run faster without these current problems?

Comment

Have you installed the correct chipset driver ?
                    Install HDtach and see what speed your drive is running at.

Comment

I have no clue what chipset driver is, nor do I still know what HDD means.

Comment

Chipset driver comes from Dell. The chipset controls the communication between the cpu, memory and peripherals. HDD is hard disk drive
                        http://www.hdtune.com/download.html instead of HDtach.

Comment

You will need to install the Vista 64 drivers. Chipset drivers is bundled with the ati video driver.

Comment

We had over 300 of these laptops at my last place. They don't have the nvidia nforce chipset. AMD690T and SB600.

Comment

These aren't laptops. I own a 531 myself - it's a desktop with the nForce 430 chipset.

Mine doesn't have any such issues even with Windows 7 x64 or Server 2012 R2, however, I replaced my stock hard drive with a Seagate 7200.12 160 gig.

I would run something like Crystal Disk Mark and screenshot that. If it's not the hard drive it gets a bit trickier to diagnose.

Comment

I hate it when companies do that - use the same series name for both desktops and laptops. Dell didn't used to do it, but they do now.

I missed the bit about it occurring after an upgrade. Try doing a clean install of windows (ie, save your data to an external drive, format the HDD and start again).
                                Last edited by c_hegge; 03-10-2015, 01:48 AM.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

My mistake, D531 is the laptop,

Comment

I'll have to do all that? just to solve this problem? I officially know nothing about computers.

Comment

^
                                      I'm afraid so. There is not likely to be any very simple solution to your problem.

Originally posted by diif View Post
                                      My mistake, D531 is the laptop,
                                      Yup. I used to have a D531 too. Bear in mind, though, that the D531 is a Latitude, NOT an Inspiron. I really liked it in the old days where the range name clearly identified it as a laptop or desktop. The laptops were either Inspiron (for Consumer) or Latitude (for Business), and the desktops were either Dimension (Consumer) or Optiplex (business). Nowadays, Inspiron and Vostro can be either.
                                      Last edited by c_hegge; 03-10-2015, 04:43 AM.

Comment

would it be shameful if I just said: forget it! I'll deal with the slowness?"?
                                        Last edited by Vivi; 03-10-2015, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X