Dell inspiron 531 4gb ram 64 bit OS running very slowly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell inspiron 531 4gb ram 64 bit OS running very slowly

create a new user and try with that one.

Comment

Just did, I have two users now, and for reason, its loading up fast now. Without freezing, I'm on the new user now. Again, is this weird?

Comment

It points to the hard drive being bad, please try to enable SMART in the BIOS
        And as has been adviced before it would be a good idea to try with another SATA cable to the harddrive.
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I can enable SMART in Bios, though that would require rebooting, so, I must prepare for the "snail like" loading time... I'm doing this now.

That SATA cable is confusing me though. I have no idea what it is.

Comment

When you reboot, login to the new user account. We need to know if you get the slowdown problem on a new account after a reboot.

Logging off and logging on after it's all up and running doesn't prove if it's the account or the computer.

The SATA cable is the data cable for your hard drive, which uses the SATA interface as shown by your photos.
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

Okay I logged in on the new user, and... ehm, it loaded alot faster than it did the previous user. I'm on the new user now. I enable SMART in BIOS too. I now know the SATA cable.

Comment

Good, now run this test again: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...0&postcount=26
                And post the details from the HEALTH page: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...8&postcount=49
                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

run as administrator:
                  chkdsk C: /f
                  y
                  reboot

then again as admin:
                  sfc /scannow
                  reboot

Comment

Nothing still not showing under Health tab:

Comment

Vivi,
                      Click [Start] the type: cmd in the search box, right click on cmd.exe then select run as administrator
                      That will open up DOS screen then type the following commands to check disk for errors
                      chkdsk /r /f [press Enter]

you will be prompted with with something like below

C:\Users\BADCAPS>chkdsk /r /f
                      The type of the file system is NTFS.
                      Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
                      process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
                      checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

NExt, click [Yes] then reboot your computer....it'll take a while to scan and fix the disk.

Comment

Originally posted by Vivi View Post
                        Nothing still not showing under Health tab:
                        Ok, it's probably because of your "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller", it's using a SCSI implementation and so SMART data can not be read.
                        What you enabled in the BIOS was probably for the "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller"
                        You can actually disable that whole IDE controller in the BIOS if possible, because I see from your photos there is no IDE connector, only an empty spot for one...

Comment

Originally posted by TVRepairNoobie View Post
                          Vivi,
                          Click [Start] the type: cmd in the search box, right click on cmd.exe then select run as administrator
                          That will open up DOS screen then type the following commands to check disk for errors
                          chkdsk /r /f [press Enter]

you will be prompted with with something like below

C:\Users\BADCAPS>chkdsk /r /f
                          The type of the file system is NTFS.
                          Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
                          process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
                          checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

NExt, click [Yes] then reboot your computer....it'll take a while to scan and fix the disk.
                          I ran chkdsk before, twice actually, and I saw no difference.
                          How do I disable "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" in BIOS?

Comment

It would be something along the lines of "IDE Channel 0" or similar

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                              It would be something along the lines of "IDE Channel 0" or similar
                              Okay I disabled the "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller". What's next?

Comment

To run this test again that I asked in post #107
                                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...0&postcount=26

Comment

I did, and it still shows nothing (n/a), but actually, it seems like now that I enabled SMART, the computer runs fast like its supposed to, when I log onto all users.

Comment

That was not what I asked about, I asked you to run the benchmark again.

Comment

how do I do that? You told me to show HEALTH details, and none

Comment

he wants you to run the test that creates a graph for hd transfer rate.

Comment

so is it this one?:

Comment

Working...
                                          X