Dell inspiron 531 4gb ram 64 bit OS running very slowly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell inspiron 531 4gb ram 64 bit OS running very slowly

do is there a software I could use to tell is Windows is a fake? Because I did purchase it. Not from Microsoft though, and not from any friends, because lets face it, I don't have any friends.

Comment

Well, do take a look at the capacitors on the mainboard, they should not look like this:
      https://www.google.se/search?q=20110...ed=0CAcQ_AUoAQ
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Vivi View Post
        do is there a software I could use to tell is Windows is a fake? Because I did purchase it. Not from Microsoft though, and not from any friends, because lets face it, I don't have any friends.
        Well, you could use Microsoft's own WGA tool... but that sometimes nukes legit Windows as pirated, so...

Who did you purchase it from? eBay or something? Did you get a genuine DVD and a COA sticker?
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

I got it from ebay, and it came with a dvd, I installed it like it said, through a boot menu.

Comment

If it's a legit Windows Ultimate DVD, it should come in a case with a black label, the DVD should be black with a ring of silver hologram around the outside.

On the top edge of the box should have been a blue\green sticker with the serial number, which you would have had to enter during installation.

If not, you probably were sold a pirate copy.
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

Yes it did have a sticker, and a product key I entered during installation. It had 25 words.

Comment

Yes it did have a sticker, and a product key I entered during installation. It had 25 words.
                It is not words. Five groups each composed of five alphanumeric characters.

Comment

that's what I meant

Comment

actually, I just checked HD tune pro I tried to see Health state, but it says health is N/A see:

Comment

actually, I just checked HD tune pro I tried to see Health state, but it says health is N/A see:
                      You may need to turn on SMART in the BIOS settings, then reboot.

Comment

can you post a foto of the inside of the computer.

and try a linux live-disk.
                        http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...ive-x86_64.iso

it's 900meg so you need a usb-stick or a dvd

Comment

Your best bet is to test the Hard Disk Drive, like what c_hegge said.

Do you know for a fact that your computer is not infected? What applications are running during startup?
                          What is your [Windows Experience Index] score?

You could also customize the computer setting for [Best Performance] vs [Let Windows choose what's best for my computer].

Possible solution: upgrade to SSD drive 120GB cost around $ + - nowadays.

Comment

Why would I download linux when I have Windows already? Is that a virus? And what is a foto? Something else to put inside should not be? Did you mean photo?

Comment

There is SeaTools for Windows
                              http://www.seagate.com/support/downl...ls-win-master/

Comment

Vivi - Can you take a screenshot of your (Task Scheduler), and also in Registry under the following locations

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
                                Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
                                Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

Comment

For 64 bit OS you will also need to check the following location as well.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
                                  and
                                  Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

Comment

Originally posted by TVRepairNoobie View Post
                                    Your best bet is to test the Hard Disk Drive, like what c_hegge said.

Do you know for a fact that your computer is not infected? What applications are running during startup?
                                    What is your [Windows Experience Index] score?

You could also customize the computer setting for [Best Performance] vs [Let Windows choose what's best for my computer].

Possible solution: upgrade to SSD drive 120GB cost around $ + - nowadays.
                                    Confused here, um, I took a screens of the windows index score I think on the front page of this thread, but its overall score is 4.5, you really think best performance will work? Because, everytime I log on, it just takes 6 minutes to load things up, and then it freezes and crahses with blue screen four times before it can freeze again and suddenly work. Basically, this is how I survive. I have to NOT shut down the computer.

Comment

Have you tried running it in Safe Mode?

Comment

Originally posted by TVRepairNoobie View Post
                                        Vivi - Can you take a screenshot of your (Task Scheduler), and also in Registry under the following locations

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
                                        Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
                                        Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
                                        WHat is this? I can't find it. I copy placed it in RUn command, and windows explorer. ANd nothting.

Comment

Why would I download linux when I have Windows already? Is that a virus? And what is a foto? Something else to put inside should not be? Did you mean photo?
                                          you should download linux to see if the computer still runs slow,
                                          no, it's not a virus

and yes, foto = photo = photographic image.
                                          Last edited by kc8adu; 03-14-2015, 06:22 PM. Reason: unnecesary language

Comment

Working...
                                          X