Clear All

Re: Dell inspiron 531 4gb ram 64 bit OS running very slowly

How to enter Registry:
    1. Click on the Start button then type in: regedit
    2. click regedit.exe

Comment

Originally posted by Vivi View Post
      WHat is this? I can't find it. I copy placed it in RUn command, and windows explorer. ANd nothting.
      issue the command "regedit"

Comment

I'm sorry, I did not know, I never used linux, and I don't usually downloading things from links from that. I wasn't being rude, I was just asking.

Just typed regedit, I see it now.

Comment

Might be easier to check your startup stuff with HijackThis http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/

Which scans more places than just a couple of registry keys anyway
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

Is this the correct place?

Comment

Yes, and the other places as well. that one looks ok.

Comment

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Wind ows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Win dows\CurrentVersion\Run

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Win dows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

Comment

i think from the screenshots of your harddrive-test it may be the sata cable between the drive and motherboard.
                  that's why i wanted a photo.

Comment

what's that ADOBE crap in your startup?

Comment

Those 3, other screenshot looks ok as well.
                      AdobeAAMUpdater - Adobe Application Manager used with Adobe's Creative Suite

Comment

alright I took 4 photos of the inside of nthe computer. Looks like the human nervous system!
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by c_hegge; 03-14-2015, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TVRepairNoobie View Post
                          Those 3, other screenshot looks ok as well.
                          AdobeAAMUpdater - Adobe Application Manager used with Adobe's Creative Suite
                          Oh, yes, I'm running adobe Photoshop now.

Comment

Wow, you need to blow the dirt off the CPU heatsink.

Comment

yea, i see a few things there.
                              first, take the fan off the cpu heatsink and vac all the fluff and dust out or the cpu will overheat and slow down.

second thing i noticed is the rear fan looks like it's fitted the wrong way around - it's sucking in insead of out.

now as for my original point, try removing the blue sata cable and replacing it with the spare red one that has one end disconnected at the moment.

btw, if your brave, try removing the psu and opening it for a visual inspection.
                              Last edited by stj; 03-13-2015, 07:25 PM.

Comment

ok, at the top of hdtune, there is a menu. select the other drive (didn't you say you had two?) see how it's going really slow at the end... that is your issue. that's why your computer is slow. and it has nothing to do with adobe.

also, i find it odd your device manager says "scsi disk device" not "ata disk device" try unplugging your optical drive (cd drive), card reader, and the second hard drive. i mean, unplug whichever one is NOT the drive that windows 7 is installed on...

also try swapping the sata cable... and where is the second hard drive? did u take that out? or am i missing something obvious here... you can try the one from the optical drive (orange) instead of the one thats on the hard drive right now (blue) make sure you pull the sata cable straight out of the hard drive rather than yanking on the 90 degree angle cable...

also have you tried booting into safe mode? i'm not going to explain how to do this, just google it.

we are trying to help you, you are just being frustrating. but let's try to get this figured out... just keep in mind if it's not the hard drive or sata cable or a software issue it's your motherboard at which point you should just scrap the computer.

they sell brand new computers for $250 now. how much did you spend on this old piece of crap and your win7 ultimate license?? and i suggest you never take the side panel off your new one clearly you have no idea what u are doing.

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-i3646-100...sktop+computer
                                Last edited by shovenose; 03-13-2015, 07:27 PM.

Comment

that's a bit harsh,
                                  give the guy a chance to learn.

Comment

I didn't buy this computer, my dad did. And I didn't take the second hardrive either, he did. I just thought there was a simple way to fix this, but now I see its not. But, as long as nothing serious is happening, I can deal with it, I just won't shut it down ever. Just put it in sleep mode. I don't know computers like that, so that'll be up to my dad to decide if he wants to explorer the inside of a computer, because I'm thinking I'm breaking it Myself personally can't afford a new computer, not even one like that. Computers too expensive.

Comment

1. Do what stj said and clean that computer up, AMD CPU runs hot, so cleaning the thick dust off of the heatsink with help the fan cool off the heatsink a lot better.

2. try running the computer in Safe Mode to see if it runs any faster.
                                      * shutdown computer
                                      * turn computer back on, as soon as you see the Dell logo/progress bar press and release the [F8] key
                                      If you did it right, it will display the advanced options for Windows 7.
                                      choose [Safe Mode with Networking]
                                      If it loads Windows without showing the [Advanced Options for Windows 7] start over with step 2.

If you are going this route: Computer under $100 on eBay
                                      http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...udlo&_udhi=100

Comment

I can't even do safe mode it freezes up while "loading drivers" It just sits there. So I had to turn it off, and reboot windows normally. So it starts windows pretty quickly, like it normally should, then it comes up to the select user screen. quickly as well. But as soon as I log onto the user account itself, that's when it starts to go slow. Takes at least 6 minutes to log onto the account. and an extra 6 minutes to load all the other stuff. After 12 minutes or more of waiting, everything just sets into place, basically. I'm able to do everything quickly and easily. No slowing down, no freezing. Its just the log in process...

Comment

Can you run the Hijackthis program I mentioned earlier to show *ALL* the startup items?

Download from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/

You can save a log and upload it here on the forum.
                                          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                          -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                          X