Dell inspiron 531 4gb ram 64 bit OS running very slowly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell inspiron 531 4gb ram 64 bit OS running very slowly

Thanks c_hegge for clarifying, in my defense i'd only had 3 hours sleep after attending a wake.

Vivi - Was your Windows install for a legitimate source/disc ?

Comment

Of course it was. There wouldn't be any other way to install Windows.

Comment

If you have a dual core AMD CPU and 4GB RAM, then it should not take anywhere near 5 minutes to load. Drivers, etc are not the cause. It's probably a failing hard drive (sectors failing and not easily read) - someone mentioned to test the hard drive, and that's a good place to start.

Another possible cause on Dell laptops is the charging circuit. They have some sort of sensor pin in the AC adapter and a chip on the motherboard to detect this sensor - if it's faulty several Dell laptop models will drop back on the CPU speed as some sort of protection - some models won't charge the battery either. The way to test this is go into the BIOS and check the battery section - it states if it detects the AC adapter properly - should say 65WATT or 90WATT or something like that. If it states something like "unknown adapter" then this could be your problem.

Comment

Did I mention this one has 2 hard drives? One that came with it, and another one added to it. The original hard drive only has 74.4 GB and the second one (which came from an 2006 gateway desktop) has 224 GB. Windows is installed on the original hard drive. Before the new hard drive was placed inside, this problem never occurred.

Comment

http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

Download free trial of pro version. For each of the two hard drives run benchmark and health tab. Post screenshots.

definitely sounds like a hard drive problem, either with the drive itself failing or a misconfiguration making it super slow. But will be able to tell with this info...

Comment

I never thought hard drives could cause a computer to run slowly! alright I'll try this, but I best not to get no virus!
              I believe I downloaed the right one, if I did, I have No idea how to use it. I'm so lost!

Last edited by Vivi; 03-11-2015, 01:37 AM.

Comment

now do that again with a differend data cable on the drive.

Comment

come again?

Comment

If you just installed all the Windows updates including any .net updates you will get the .Net optimisation thing running for a good while on startup until it sorts itself out.

Is mscorsvw.exe running in the background?
                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                      If you just installed all the Windows updates including any .net updates you will get the .Net optimisation thing running for a good while on startup until it sorts itself out.

Is mscorsvw.exe running in the background?
                      actually, yes! it HAS installed a BUNCH of .net updates! though I don't see mscorsvw.exe running in task manager, but could this actually be the root of the problem??

Comment

Make sure you have enabled "Show processes from all users" and if it's there, leave the computer running until it finishes - If you keep rebooting it won't finish and it'll keep doing it every time you start up.
                        If it speeds up after that, great.

If it's not running or it doesn't speed up when it finishes, then I guess it's something else.
                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                        -David VanHorn

Comment

I see it! its there! I believe it finished it. I'm not see it anymore even with show all processes from all users checked, I rebooted the computer, (prayed) then logged on, and surprisingly, it logged me on in like: 12 seconds! really! So, in conclusion: does all Windows Ultimate editions have to go through all those .NET updates? And why did you ask me if
                          Was your Windows install for a legitimate source/disc
                          diif?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                            now do that again with a differend data cable on the drive.
                            QFT, looks like Windows had an ATA error and went to PIO mode!!

(less than 10 MB/s, especially when at 4 MB/s or 5 MB/s)
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

i think this computer is defective, after turning it on today, it completely froze up and crashed. Then rebooting it, it gives me a CMOS battery failed message after boot up.

Guess this computer's useless, should I just burn it?

Comment

ask your friend that has some knowledge in troubleshooting to look at it;

sorry but as I see you don't have the basic knowledge to do that, so our help will most likely be useless.

did you check hard drives health status? there was a tab in hd tune with health. why didn't you post that?

cmos battery is very cheap and easy to change.

Comment

Originally posted by Vivi View Post
                                  I see it! its there! I believe it finished it. I'm not see it anymore even with show all processes from all users checked, I rebooted the computer, (prayed) then logged on, and surprisingly, it logged me on in like: 12 seconds! really! So, in conclusion: does all Windows Ultimate editions have to go through all those .NET updates? And why did you ask me if diif?
                                  Whenever you install updates to .Net framework it will usually run the .Net optimisation on next reboot. No way around it unless you don't install the updates but that leaves security risks....

The problem with pirate\downloaded Windows DVD images is that some have viruses in them, and viruses often cause system slowdowns as well.
                                  -David VanHorn

Comment

So you're saying my edition of windows is pirated? That's why this is all happening? If so, what will I do then, I tried

Comment

So you're saying my edition of windows is pirated? That's why this is all happening? If so, what will I do then, I tried
                                      No, I have no idea if your Windows is pirate. I'm just saying that is probably why diif asked - pirate versions often contain viruses, which may cause this kind of behaviour. Just another thing to check.
                                      -David VanHorn

Comment

I see it! its there! I believe it finished it. I'm not see it anymore even with show all processes from all users checked, I rebooted the computer, (prayed) then logged on, and surprisingly, it logged me on in like: 12 seconds! really! So, in conclusion: does all Windows Ultimate editions have to go through all those .NET updates? And why did you ask me if diif?
                                        The only time i ever see Windows Ultimate is when it's been pirated.
                                        I was asking if it came from a legitimate soure ie, genuine not fake DVD, from a torrent or a helpful friend.

Comment

You can easily get a legit Windows 7 ISO of all editions!

And you don't have to worry about them being corrupted.
                                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                                          X