Death of the desktop PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Death of the desktop PC

larger laptops ain't bad... but then again, they aren't "cheap" like a netbook is...

of course, I could have either bought a netbook for $300 or a used d630 for $250... you can probably guess which i bought...
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I agree, typing on a netbook is a nightmare. Hitting that damn backspace key so many times, I've never owned one but I've used them before. I don't think I could use anything daily with a screen smaller than 13" even the 15.4" screen on my Core i3 laptop seems small at times

Comment

As a self-employed person and possible employer of some of these younger generations of texting goons, I would not grant brownie points to anyone who can text 50wpm in text-speak on a cell phone....infact text-speak typing would make me not hire them, it annoys me to no end. Being proficient on a laptop or desktop would definitely carry more weight. Futhermore, the first time I catch them texting or using their phone for non-business purposes while they're on my nickel, they would be immediately terminated. It's getting absolutely absurd that you can't look at any younger person (especially little high school girls) and that's all they're doing is texting and/or diddling with their friggin phones....typically for useless bullshit, like facebook or twatter. As an employer, personal cell phones would remain in their car, at home, or somewhere else when they're being paid to work for me.....and that would be on a Desktop, if it were a job that required a computer.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Desktop PC's will never die out. Easy maintenance and sheer computing power ensure that. Maybe someday for the average user laptops will replace the home PC entirely but on a corporate level PC's will still exist in some form maybe as wireless terminals connected to a server. Fact is that technology evolves but even now with the widespread usage of cell phones 95% of the people still have home phones... the same will be true with PC's.
          Guns don't solve problems. I'll take 12

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            As a self-employed person and possible employer of some of these younger generations of texting goons, I would not grant brownie points to anyone who can text 50wpm in text-speak on a cell phone....infact text-speak typing would make me not hire them, it annoys me to no end. Being proficient on a laptop or desktop would definitely carry more weight. Futhermore, the first time I catch them texting or using their phone for non-business purposes while they're on my nickel, they would be immediately terminated. It's getting absolutely absurd that you can't look at any younger person (especially little high school girls) and that's all they're doing is texting and/or diddling with their friggin phones....typically for useless bullshit, like facebook or twatter. As an employer, personal cell phones would remain in their car, at home, or somewhere else when they're being paid to work for me.....and that would be on a Desktop, if it were a job that required a computer.
            yeah... sexting and texting...

as a guy of said generation, the level of cell-phone dependance is startling... i use my phone a lot, but i use my laptop a lot too... but twitter is for twits IMHO. IMHO, twitter=TMI.

but the rest of my genration, cell phones
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I think that it would be silly and ridiculous to fire somebody for using their phone during work.
              For example, I use my phone for non-work purposes at work. I talk on the phone, I email people, etc, however I do the important stuff first and I make sure there are no customers that need helping, and I keep phonecalls short and quiet. Additionally, my phone is very useful for a quick check on eBay to see how much something is worth or to look up some info for a customer if the internet at work is down... so they do have their uses

Comment

Someone gets fired for that about every other month where my wife works.

The rules there say personal phones stay in the lockers.
                If you get caught with one in your work area then you can't be trusted to follow rules and you're done.

You'd think after two or three got canned people would realize the management is serious.
                - But nope!
                The ADDICTION must be too strong.
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

All the time manufacturers are selling newer cases, PSU's, motherboards, memory, graphics cards etc I can't see desktops hitting the dust.
                  I can't see the point of trying to browse the internet with 4" screen or something, or even reasonable games..
                  To me a mobile phone is just something to send/receive phone calls and the occaisonal text, written in full, not teenytext.
                  But then I am old fashioned that way.....
                  Tt Armor+ black case--Corsair HX1050--Intel i7 920 (default)+Noctua U12-Gigabyte GA-58EX-Extreme--6GB tri-ch. Corsair Dominator+ Corsair Dominator memory cooler--2 X Gigabyte 6870OC CF -2 x 300GB WD V-Raptors--1 X 500GB WD Green--1 x WD 250GB--1 X 1TB Samsung F3--8 case fans--Samsung T220 22" + Dell WFP2408 24"--Logitech G15 keyboard-Logitech G500 mouse--Onboard sound--plus other bits.
                  OS-Vista-64bit+Win7-64bit+Win 8 64bit.

Comment

i have a fancy android phone.but it is more of an annoyance at times than a tool.
                    had a samsung ommnia.
                    ok but hated typing on a touchscreen.maddening to use forums.
                    played with a droid x.same hatred of a touchscreen for typeing.its in a drawer as a oh shit spare.
                    currently on a droid 2 global.slide out keyboard.much better but only used for texting and the occasional quick lookup on the run or whacking a forum spammer.
                    the camera is usable.spoiled by the canon xti.but the canon resides in a bag somewhere i am not at.so droid camera gets the job.
                    the rest of its use is as a toy.
                    like terrorising the shop with a wifli helicopter or angry birds.
                    i have a hp mini which is a bit bigger and slightly more capable than a netbook.
                    it gets used for plc programming,obd2,and as a hdmi source for testing tv's.
                    oh and ventrilo chat.
                    desktops are not going away here!

Comment

yes but we're oldskool. your kids will figure out the keyboard, and they will get better, clearer (OLED) faster. not now, but in a few years
                      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Stick this into any search engine, "carpal tunnel increase due to cellphone texting", and see what pops up.

This is why a phone won't replace my desk top PC.

Comment

I like my android cellphone, and what I can do on it, but it will never replace my laptop or my desktop. It doesn't do everything I want it to do, but I am not the general everyday user that uses it for facebook and twitter. I just can't see myself without a desktop, I just like it too much.

Comment

ya know what?, I dont even have a cell phone!

I find it very disturbing when people are texting and driving, I would loooove to honk a loud train horn in their ear and scare them xD yes, I could rant about it all day long xD

Getting back on topic, I think desktops still will be here for quite a while, especially cause they have higher computing power, and more room for bigger cpu, heatsinks, more ram, more hdds, etc... also they dont have those laptop batteries that explode all the time!

-Ben
                            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                              i have a fancy android phone.but it is more of an annoyance at times than a tool.
                              had a samsung ommnia.
                              ok but hated typing on a touchscreen.maddening to use forums.
                              played with a droid x.same hatred of a touchscreen for typeing.its in a drawer as a oh shit spare.
                              currently on a droid 2 global.slide out keyboard.much better but only used for texting and the occasional quick lookup on the run or whacking a forum spammer.
                              the camera is usable.spoiled by the canon xti.but the canon resides in a bag somewhere i am not at.so droid camera gets the job.
                              the rest of its use is as a toy.
                              like terrorising the shop with a wifli helicopter or angry birds.
                              i have a hp mini which is a bit bigger and slightly more capable than a netbook.
                              it gets used for plc programming,obd2,and as a hdmi source for testing tv's.
                              oh and ventrilo chat.
                              desktops are not going away here!
                              I think you and I are the only two people to have ever owned the Omnia, lol. And as such, I'm the only one who ever liked it...

I, too went from the Omnia to the Droidx, and found the onscreen keyboard to be much easier to use with the X (most likely due to the increase in screen size). I now have the Droid Bionic, and it's a properly quick phone (dual-core processor), but not without its annoyances. Mostly the Verizon 3/4g data connection. When it's working properly, it's great, and fast (especially 4g... I got 5mbps up and down in NYC). However, it's almost never working properly... says it's connected, but no data sent or received. Or it'll drop the data connection and no re-establish until you reset the phone.

So yeah, I love my mobile phone/computer, and my laptop (carry it with me back and forth to work every day)... but I also just upgraded my desktop at home. Desktops won't be going away for me for a while. To get anything this powerful in a laptop, you're looking at big, and heavy...
                              Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

I see a lot of dick sucking and snooty arrogance in this thread. Uranium seems to be the only one who gets it. Like it or not the younger generation isn't going to grow up around PCs like we did. They are growing up around smartphones and ipod touches. These are the facts.

I wholeheartedly agree that nothing will ever be able to beat a nice desktop PC. I love mine dearly. Nice bright widescreen, a great audio system that includes a subwoofer, all sorts of media options (USB, opticals, cardreader, firewire, optical audio, eSATA). AND this fucker is hooked up to my HDTV? You bet your ass some piece of shit phone could never even come close to this.

But the fact of the matter is that Generation Z doesn't give a fuck about any of these things. The two main arguments in this thread seems to be:

"Smartphones are not that powerful"
                                ^I can't believe the most tech-savvy people I know are saying shit like this. Smartphones have only been around for 5 years or so, they are going to get riduculously advanced in a few years.

"Small screen, low connectivity, no keyboard, blah blah blah"
                                ^All valid arguments, but you guys are all missing the point: the younger generation has adapted to these shortcomings and they don't care.

I'm with you guys, I will rock the fuck out of my desktop forever. But the fact of the matter is that the Desktop PC as we know it is done. Desktop PCs are the kind of things that will be used as props in future sitcoms about the 2000s.

I don't think the desktop PC/workstation will ever die off completely because of people like us, gamers, and the server market, so we're in luck. But the younger generation is going to go straight to smartphones, tablets, and the like.

Comment

Not even close.
                                  http://www.etforecasts.com/products/ES_pcww1203.htm

-
                                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                  -

Comment

LOL.

Those figures include iPads and the like.

First paragraph of section 1.0:
                                    " The new PC category defined by the iPad will give a strong growth boost for a few more years."

Comment

Scroll down to the 1.1 market segments and you'll see the desktop PCs peaked in 2005, have been in decline ever since, and are projected to continue declining.

Comment

Well, I feel dumb.

I was looking at the US statistics only. Neglected to look at the worldwide stats. Those look shaky too, but not in freefall decline like they are in the US.

Carry on.
                                        Last edited by weirdlookinguy; 01-04-2012, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy View Post
                                          LOL.

Those figures include iPads and the like.

First paragraph of section 1.0:
                                          " The new PC category defined by the iPad will give a strong growth boost for a few more years."
                                          Now read the rest of it:
                                          iPad .... "Will impact laptop PC segment"

And then there's:

Home PC Server
                                          . Serves multi-PC household market ·May expand consumer PC market 10-15%
                                          . .·Already a growing segment
                                          . .Some overlap with Media PCs

See, that the problem when your screen isn't big enough to read the charts.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                          -
                                          -

Comment

Working...
                                          X