HP D530 Part Deux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP D530 Part Deux

Well I tried a new power supply on the HP D530 that wont boot, no fans etc.

Still wont go. I noticed that the +5vSB led is flashing. Now apparently this means it wont start because the +5vSB is overloaded. I did a little test and noticed that there was virtually no resistance between GND and PURPLE (+5 SB) on the motherboard power ATX connector, in otherwords SHORT!

I have bench tested this motherboard and still same problem, so its not a case short. The caps look ok, but the D530's are known for bad caps.

So my question is this - could a symptom of bad caps be a short on the +5vSB rails?

Cheers

-Al

Re: HP D530 Part Deux

Have you ohmed the MOSFETs?

I suppose you already carefully inspected the caps near the CPU VRMs?

Comment

Sure did with respect to the caps.

Ohmed the MOSFET's - can you explain a little more?

In circuit or out?

What legs?

Comment

Originally posted by lucky13

Here are some pics of the moboif it helps?

The little square black things I think are MOSFET's are labelled:

06N03LA
        AU417
        Attached Files
        Last edited by BigAlNZ; 08-14-2009, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lucky13

Oh and I almost forgot these little suckers (look like mosfets to me) were on the bottom of the mobo underneath and near the VRM row of caps.

06N03LZ
          AI423

They are seperate from the motherboard bottom plate by a large peice of rubber which had a slightly wet and semi sticky substance on it...I had wondered about this possibly creating a short when I first took the mobo out to bench test it.

Again, they look like MOSTFETs but not sure how to test? I have heard they often go shorted between GS? or SD? or both?

Cheers in advance

-Al
          Attached Files

Comment

Tried to test MOSFETs using following procedure. The expected result from the instructions is in the brackets:

06N03LA
            1) Use DVM in diode test position
            2) Holding red lead on S
            3) Black lead on D. Reading climbs to 557 after about 2-3 seconds. (Instructions say reading should be 500-800)
            4) Put black lead on G. Reading is 13. (Instructions say should be open)
            5) Hold black lead on S
            6) Put red lead on D. Open Circuit (reading 1) (should be open?)
            7) Put red lead on G. Reading 13 (should be open?)
            8) Put red lead backon D. Open (reading 1) (should be low value close to zero?)

06N03LZ
            1) Use DVM in diode test position
            2) Holding red lead on S
            3) Black lead on D. Reading 3 (Instructions say reading should be 500-800)
            4) Put black lead on G. Reading is 737. (Instructions say should be open)
            5) Hold black lead on S
            6) Put red lead on D. Reading 3 (should be open?)
            7) Put red lead on G. Reading Open (should be open?)
            8) Put red lead backon D. Reading 3 (should be low value close to zero?)

Note sure if this testing procedure is correct and if it indicates good or bad?

-Al
            Last edited by BigAlNZ; 08-14-2009, 11:47 PM.

Comment

PS: Is it ok to test in circuit?

Comment

what is this "new" power supply?
                and what meter did you use to test?
                most +5stby shorts are fried southbridges.
                iirc a standard atx supply will run that board so try another psu.
                its not a dead short if the onboard led is blinking.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                  what is this "new" power supply?
                  and what meter did you use to test?
                  most +5stby shorts are fried southbridges.
                  iirc a standard atx supply will run that board so try another psu.
                  its not a dead short if the onboard led is blinking.
                  I got another D530 PSU out of another D530 thinking initally the proble was the PSU. When the second D530 PSU didnt work I got a 3rd power supply I had lying around (but which I know to be good) and tried it. Both power supplies simply gave the +5vSB led blinking - so yes I have tried a standard ATX PSU.

The resistance between ATX power connector on motherboard for Purple pin and GND is in the order of 5 Ohm so not a dead short but very close!

Although it may not be the problem kc8adu can you make any comment on the MOSFET testing methodology and results?

Cheers

-Al

Comment

i was wondering if you fixed the 5vsb flashin led problem, i got this on a d530 sff, is not the psu cause i tested it on other mobo.... any ideas??

thanks,.

ps. are the testing procedure mentioned above correct?
                    We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression, but we do, we have a great war of the spirit. We have a great revolution against the culture. The great depression is our lives. We have a spiritual depression.

Comment

the whole thread is bullshit,
                      the 5v standby has nothing to do with the vrm or fets.

it's used for the main chipset and goes through a regulator.
                      look for 3.3v regulators, maybe type 1117
                      meter them for shorts.

or if you want to be hardcore, hook the 5v standby & ground on the mobo to a variable bench supply,
                      set it to 5v and 500ma

then see if you can find anything getting hot.
                      if not - wind it up another 500ma and repeat looking for something hot.

just keep repeating till something starts to cook.

Comment

Originally posted by MXM
                        i was wondering if you fixed the 5vsb flashin led problem, i got this on a d530 sff, is not the psu cause i tested it on other mobo.... any ideas??

thanks,.

ps. are the testing procedure mentioned above correct?
                        No I replaced the mobo in the end. stj's suggestion is not bad, but it may be a bridge failure and youll need BGA gear to repair.

-Al

Comment

thank you...

i got a d530 sff that shuts down eventually no particular pattern, it just shuts off... i changed some mobo blown caps and still doing it, i suspect the psu might be the one causing this.... do u have info related on this that could help me out a little? ive done the googling no much success...

Thanks.
                          We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression, but we do, we have a great war of the spirit. We have a great revolution against the culture. The great depression is our lives. We have a spiritual depression.

Comment

MXM: It could be the CPU overheating. I tested with my d530 mobo and if the CPU overheats - i.e no heatsink, bad cooling, etc. the PC just shuts off. If you can, download SpeedFan (it's free and for Windows) and post back _all_ the reported temperatures and voltages just before it crashes.
                            BTW: the CPU I pulled from it (Pentium 4 2.66GHz) seems to constantly report a CPU temperature of 105 centigrade all the time unless I push really hard on it. I
                            Thanks
                            Ed

Oh, and to all D530 owners: I advise you get a good quality ATX PSU and shove the D530 mobo in a tower case. Also the 'speaker' output is very very powerful - i.e it drives a KEF Coda III speaker to mechanical distortion!

Comment

Working...
                            X