rubycon mcz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rubycon mcz

Hello Everyone. I have a question about old capacitors. They are about 10 years old and been setting in the garage. Below freezing in the winter and 120 f+ in the summer. They are rubycon mcz 6.3v 820 uf. They measure about 720 uf with esr of .03 at 120 hz. Should I trust them or pitch them?

Re: rubycon mcz

100kHz is the normal test frequency I believe... try with that and test against datasheet... I don't know, but if they look good and test OK... why not? Or at least, you might as well test them on something, and check them to see how they're holding up after a while.

You might want to try reforming them before use, though.

Probably someone else can give a better answer
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by gorman49 View Post
      They are rubycon mcz 6.3v 820 uf. They measure about 720 uf with esr of .03 at 120 hz. Should I trust them or pitch them?
      They look bad. Capacitance definitely out of spec like I expect with cheapo caps.
      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-23-2014, 04:49 PM.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

32 GB G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVR

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
        100kHz is the normal test frequency I believe...
        100 kHz is the normal ESR test frequency. But capacitance is normally tested at 120 Hz.

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
          They look bad. Capacitance definitely out of spec like I expect with cheapo caps.
          Agreed. Typically a mildly out of spec Rubycon will read slightly higher (but within tolerance) of its rated value. When they're low, especially that much, they're typically bad. Are these "new old stock"? Are they in a device? Are they just caps you've cannibalized from something else? Either way, I don't think I'd trust them.

I do happen to have some very nice and new replacements for them:
          https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=163
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

They are unused old stock. Sounds like they belong in the trash. I will do my shopping here. Have a dell psu and mb to refit. Thanks for your advice.

Comment

Working...
            X