Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panasonic TC-P42S30 - Would someone mind helping me confirm SN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic TC-P42S30 - Would someone mind helping me confirm SN?

Hi all,

Have had this TV since 2011 and it's worked wonderfully. No interest in getting a new TV right now...

Had just reactivated ANT input to mess around and see if I could find some OTA channels when I got a *pop* and the TV turned off. When I turn it back on I get a solid red light but if I press and hold the power button it gives me the 14 blinks. This is "locked mode", correct?

From reading on these boards, seems like SN is usually the culprit. Have tested as follows:

1) Unplugged SN2/P2 and P11/SS11
    2) Tested P2-1 and P2-3 for continuity: No
    3) Tested SN2-1 and SN2-3 for continuity: Yes (similarly, red lead on SN2 pin 1 and black lead on the chassis [the grey metal behind the board, right?] beeps)
    4) Finally, red lead on SS11 pin 1 and black lead on chassis = no beep/continuity
    (continuity here indicates a short, right?)

Troubleshooting guide says to replace SC, which is SN on my model correct?

For what it's worth, there is a screw on the SN board that seems just a bit less than completely tight, but I don't see anything clearly amiss.

Where do I go from here? Want to make sure it's the SN board and not something else...
    Last edited by 850csi; 02-03-2016, 11:18 PM.

Re: Panasonic TC-P42S30 - Would someone mind helping me confirm SN?

Ok - since then I've disconnected SN2 & P2, SN20 & A20, and SS11 & P11. Plugged it in and hit power, now I get 8 blinks.

Then tried plugging SN20 & A20 and SS11 & P11 back in, with SN2 & P2 left unplugged - 7 blinks. Unplugged SN20 - 8 blinks

Thoughts?
    Last edited by 850csi; 02-03-2016, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Short IGBT's on SN board...

Not an easy repair....
      TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
      http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
      PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

I think you're ontrack for a SN board replacement or rebuild. Flocko has done some of these, try searching the board number or his profile to find some other posts to read.

Comment

Yes confirm TNPA5349 SN board faulty, the first things to check are the buffer ICs as not a job for most to replace. if you remove the board and place in front of you with the tab sockets at the bottom, on the right hand corner just above the last tab and in the centre of the ICs you will see TPVFG ? with meter set on 200 ohms scale,black lead to test point run red lead slowly across gold contacts on all tab sockets and watch meter (if not one that bleeps when shorted) if you see at any any point the meter show any resistance you have a faulty IC. test and report back Flocko

Comment

Thank you, gentlemen. I was mostly concerned about isolating the issue down to the SN board alone - plan on sending it off to get fixed, seems like there are one or two good eBayers for this. Just want to make sure there isn't something with my SS/A/P boards or whatever that'll just short it again right away once I get it fixed.

Flocko - will do and report back.
            Last edited by 850csi; 02-04-2016, 07:21 AM.

Comment

These SN boards aren't too hard to repair if you have a steady hand and SMD soldering abilities. But not a typical DIY repair. I got lucky with my last one, which is now the bedroom TV, it was only four IGBTs and was very cheap to fix. Sometimes the little driver chips fail too.

The hard bit is putting the ribbons back in. That's a pain, and you'll get lines on the screen until you get them perfect.
              Last edited by tom66; 02-04-2016, 11:42 AM.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hi 850csi If you are going to send the board for repair do not do any more then test the buffer ICs.I for one will not take a board that has had an attempted repair or parts removed,and most will not repair a board that needs a buffer IC replacement. As more testing would mean removing parts or lifting the legs of the components its best left. so if the buffers test good send the board off for repair, if the buffer test shows shorts ask the repairer if he can replace the ICs before you send . Hope this is of help to you Flocko

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                  These SN boards aren't too hard to repair if you have a steady hand and SMD soldering abilities. But not a typical DIY repair. I got lucky with my last one, which is now the bedroom TV, it was only four IGBTs and was very cheap to fix. Sometimes the little driver chips fail too.

The hard bit is putting the ribbons back in. That's a pain, and you'll get lines on the screen until you get them perfect.
                  What a pain those ribbon cables are, its easy to spend 10-15 minutes switching off trying over and over again to get a screen with no lines on, even when they look perfectly in you still have lines on the picture, it makes you wonder how these are done in the factory , I cant see the production staff spending an extra 10 mins one each set .

Comment

Dont mean to brag Iv'e done quite a few of these and every time got the ribbons perfect first time lol just make sure they get seated behind the lock pin and keep applying pressure when closing the tab.
                    Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Originally posted by flocko View Post
                      Hi 850csi If you are going to send the board for repair do not do any more then test the buffer ICs.I for one will not take a board that has had an attempted repair or parts removed,and most will not repair a board that needs a buffer IC replacement. As more testing would mean removing parts or lifting the legs of the components its best left. so if the buffers test good send the board off for repair, if the buffer test shows shorts ask the repairer if he can replace the ICs before you send . Hope this is of help to you Flocko

Hi flocko - yes, you [and others] have been of great help! As you suggest, it was my plan to try just testing the buffer ICs and then send it off. Regardless, I've seen at least one ebay repairer willing to handle the ICs for an extra charge so we shall see. I'll keep you all updated! I'm mostly concerned right now about making sure there isn't anything else wrong that'll just fry my SN board again once I get it fixed!

Comment

If you see any of the gold ribbon contacts outside the socket it is not fully home, tip leave the screws holding the board slack, so the board can move just a little, when all the ribbons are in, fully torque the screws up before powering up. The TNPA 5349 board does not need any help from any of the other boards for it to fail,and I have never seen a fault with this board cause a problem to any other boards, I would not concern yourself with that but a damaged PDP (cracked screen) will cause the buffer ICs to fail. A s/hand board from a set that has a damaged PDP is will almost all way have buffer ICs that are shorted

Comment

Yes confirm TNPA5349 SN board faulty, the first things to check are the buffer ICs as not a job for most to replace. if you remove the board and place in front of you with the tab sockets at the bottom, on the right hand corner just above the last tab and in the centre of the ICs you will see TPVFG ? with meter set on 200 ohms scale,black lead to test point run red lead slowly across gold contacts on all tab sockets and watch meter (if not one that bleeps when shorted) if you see at any any point the meter show any resistance you have a faulty IC. test and report back Flocko

Alright, got around to this today. You're talking about the ribbon contacts, right? No continuity or resistance anywhere between those and TPVFG, so I suppose that's good news.

If you see any of the gold ribbon contacts outside the socket it is not fully home, tip leave the screws holding the board slack, so the board can move just a little, when all the ribbons are in, fully torque the screws up before powering up. The TNPA 5349 board does not need any help from any of the other boards for it to fail,and I have never seen a fault with this board cause a problem to any other boards, I would not concern yourself with that but a damaged PDP (cracked screen) will cause the buffer ICs to fail. A s/hand board from a set that has a damaged PDP is will almost all way have buffer ICs that are shorted

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, getting the ribbons out was a little difficult, hope I didn't damage anything. I'm just worried that I have some issue with, e.g., an SS board killing my SN board as described here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23815 . Screen is fine, and looks like the ICs are fine too, so I'll cross my fingers this repair solves it! Thanks for the help.

Now trying to figure out whether to send the board away for repair or just buy a repaired one for $85 from PTS. Latter seems the better bet...

Comment

Originally posted by 850csi View Post
                            Alright, got around to this today. You're talking about the ribbon contacts, right? No continuity or resistance anywhere between those and TPVFG, so I suppose that's good news.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, getting the ribbons out was a little difficult, hope I didn't damage anything. I'm just worried that I have some issue with, e.g., an SS board killing my SN board as described here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23815 . Screen is fine, and looks like the ICs are fine too, so I'll cross my fingers this repair solves it! Thanks for the help.

Now trying to figure out whether to send the board away for repair or just buy a repaired one for $85 from PTS. Latter seems the better bet...
                            Being a FHD model the SS and SN are not interconnected so you can put the thought of the SS killing the SN to bed.

What you have is most likely a fairly common failure.

well,well, well. this is a nice surprise, PTS, is this true Moduslink PTS is back as a new venture? lets hope, for all those that can use them.

If it's the same people , go PTS, safe option and as ModuslinkPTS reports back here were fairly good and consistent results.

http://www.ptselectronicsinc.com/kit/
                            Last edited by tw2005; 02-06-2016, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks, tw! Yeah, I'm sure you're right.

Yeah, I was poking around and happened across their site - I'll follow up with you all tomorrow and confirm if they're back for real.

Comment

Hi Guys,
                                I now own a non-working Panasonic TC- p42S30 that I received from my brother in-law. He did a repair on the SN Board TNPA5349 and had it working however he did not have the ribbon cables lined up properly and had lines on the screen. He left the TV on while he was trying to fix the issue with the ribbon cables and then blew the board again. I have located the TPVFG test point and put my black test lead on it and then dragged the red test lead along all the ribbon connectors. When I have the DMM set to Ohms I get anywhere from 5.1M-6.2M readings maybe even higher on most of the ribbon contacts. When I switch to diode/short mode I get the long tone saying there is a short on some of the contacts on the two left most connectors which I guess would be towards the top of the screen. I think this where he was having the issues. So by him moving the ribbon cables while the tv was on ruined the IC buffers right? Do you think anything beyond theme got ruined? Are these easy to replace or should I start looking on ebay for a used one? Thanks in advance

Comment

Well the repair service stole my board and I managed to get my hands on the only other I could find -- advertised as working but coming from a model with a small crack in the screen.

14 f****ing blinks again. I hate everything.
                                  Last edited by 850csi; 04-14-2016, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tw2005 View Post
                                    Being a FHD model the SS and SN are not interconnected so you can put the thought of the SS killing the SN to bed.

What you have is most likely a fairly common failure.

well,well, well. this is a nice surprise, PTS, is this true Moduslink PTS is back as a new venture? lets hope, for all those that can use them.

If it's the same people , go PTS, safe option and as ModuslinkPTS reports back here were fairly good and consistent results.

http://www.ptselectronicsinc.com/kit/

TW_-you seem to be very knowledgeable on PDP sets...So is it NOT advisable to buy boards form a broken screen plasma set ?

WIll it hurt MORE than the Y-buffers--I KNOW from the sound of a busted panel--is sounds like it is HARD on them...the loud "buzz" they make... WIll the Y-sustains (or sc board) get whacked ALSO? How about the Z_(or called SS or X in some sets ) ALSO get killed in a busted panel?

Comment

Originally posted by 850csi View Post
                                      Well the repair service stole my board and I managed to get my hands on the only other I could find -- advertised as working but coming from a model with a small crack in the screen.

14 f****ing blinks again. I hate everything.
                                      Who did you use? I just sent my TNPA5349 out to be repaired.

Comment

Originally posted by Malachi View Post
                                        Who did you use? I just sent my TNPA5349 out to be repaired.

toptechcg on ebay. I'm not sure it's actual theft more like gross incompetence and simply not responding to me or anyone else.

Anyways, getting a short SN2 pin 1 to ground, so I imagine this board I bought was busted before I ever put it in the TV. Never got the TV to turn on. Here goes another return and more waiting.

Comment

Working...
                                        X