Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung HP-S4253 Plasma Screen Problems

Hey All,
    I picked up a Samsung HP-S4253 Plasma for cheap that was only powering on for about 2-3 seconds then shutting off. I replaced the swollen caps on the power board and it now fires up and stays on.
    The picture is having some issues though now. Some times it has sparklies in it and some times the picture will show very grainy. There were also green and red pixel patches showing up before adjustments.
    I measured the Vs and Va and set them dead on at 197 and 65 as listed on the sticker. It did not make a huge difference but it is a little better now. On the y-main board there are the two adjustments however I cannot find any information in the service manual on how and where to test the voltages. Tuning it by looking at the screen and turning the pots I can sharpen up the picture a little but I'd like to see if it's out of spec. Can anyone point me in the right direction? From what I have read it seems to me it is a ysus board issue...Am I on the right path? I can find a replacement out there for about $20 it seems. I cannot identify any visual problems on the ysus board no burns or swollen caps.
    Thanks all,
    Mike

Re: Samsung HP-S4253 Plasma Screen Problems

Are you using this service manual?

http://www.toms-service-manuals.com/...&Search=Submit
    LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

Originally posted by capkid View Post
      Thank you...and this is the manual I have. I saw in there that the two adjustments on the y-main board are to be measured with an oscilloscope however I do not have one. I thought there was a way to verify voltages on the board. There is also another adjustment POT on the board but I have not found what that one is for as of yet.
      Thanks again,

Comment

Update here. I checked and adjusted the Vs and Va on the SMPS main board at 197 and 65 respectively.
        I also checked and adjusted the Vscan, Vset, Ve on the SMPS DC/DC board to -185, 195, and 120 respectively. These were according to the sticker on the chassis of the TV. It seems that most of the issues are worked out now. The sparklies are gone. I'll have to let it run for a bit to see if heat affects it. I am however now noticing some ghost image of a local TV weather forecast when the TV is displaying lighter/white backgrounds. Has anyone had luck running any of the Plasma washers or the Samsung factory burn-in protection utilities like the white screen or the scrolling to clear ghost/burnt in images?

Comment

I had minimal clearing on a 2006 Toshiba. I left the white screen running for several hours.

Comment

Sometimes just a snowy off the air channel will take care if image retention. If it's actually screen burn then no its there for life.
            Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

You can adjust the red and green sparkles by adjusting the two on the Y-sustain board. They are usually labeled Yfr or Yrr. You can adjust it very slowly while looking at the screen and you'll notice that it will either add more sparkles or less depending on how you turn it.

Comment

Originally posted by Glitcher View Post
                You can adjust the red and green sparkles by adjusting the two on the Y-sustain board. They are usually labeled Yfr or Yrr. You can adjust it very slowly while looking at the screen and you'll notice that it will either add more sparkles or less depending on how you turn it.
                Yes, thank you. That's what I found when I adjusted those. There is another POT on the board as well that cleared up my sparklies that were flickering about the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                  Sometimes just a snowy off the air channel will take care if image retention. If it's actually screen burn then no its there for life.
                  I'm a newbe here so not real sure of how the screen would burn in like that from a local weather forecast...shows the 9News logo at the bottom left and temp and humidity up higher on the left side of the screen...not sure that is an image that stays on the screen for an extended period of time.
                  Thanks,
                  Mike

Comment

Yea if you have some misadjustment on the ysus the screen can be holding images temporarily. Usualky y ramp or vy- I believe
                    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

I have a Samsung HP-S4253 and the screen has vertical lines. No bad caps anywhere in the TV. No blown fuses. Y-Sus and X-Sus boards seem to be good. All the ICs on the buffer board appear to be good. I am thinking it is the logic board. Does anyone know for sure what is causing this problem. Here are pictures.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Shane711 View Post
                        I have a Samsung HP-S4253 and the screen has vertical lines. No bad caps anywhere in the TV. No blown fuses. Y-Sus and X-Sus boards seem to be good. All the ICs on the buffer board appear to be good. I am thinking it is the logic board. Does anyone know for sure what is causing this problem. Here are pictures.
                        Logic board would be my guess.

Comment

Working...
                        X