Sony KDL-40V4100 Blown out color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony KDL-40V4100 Blown out color

Can anyone recommend where to start looking on this one?
    The attached picture is with the brightness turned down quite a bit. Overall the picture looks washed out when I reset the settings to defaults. It's kind of like what you would get by setting a computer monitor to 16 colors.
    Attached Files

Re: Sony KDL-40V4100 Blown out color

Can you show us what it looks with all controls to factory settings? Could be GAMMA chip fault or LVDS fault, the sudden transitions between colours are throwing me off it being the gamma chip though.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Here is my Vizio 47 compared to the Sony with the same picture.
      The Sony video settings were reset to default. (From the main menu, not from Service menu.)
      I have cleaned the LVDS Cable, and tcon connectors.
      Doesn't seem to change at all.
      Attached Files

Comment

this looks exactly like a TV that was dropped off to me last night exact same Sony exact mines a z4100same picture problem it looks like a gamma IC on the t-con board to me like tom66 said. I havent cracked mine open yet. Do you see a very faint darker left or right side of screen?
        Last edited by freakaftr8; 10-19-2013, 09:17 AM.
        Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Manual for 46" which should be close enough

Try accessing service menu, can you see easily accessible reset option? It could be that the RGB DRV and offset are set wrong due to corrupted memory.

If that doesn't fix it, can we get a pic of the T-con so the gamma chip can be tested?
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I can get into service menu. Just have no idea what to do after I get there. Now that I look at it with my hdmi cable from laptop going into it, it looks like the detail is all there, it just kinda looks like i am looking at it through a white milk carton. It's just washed out.

It's not faint on either side. It looks to be pretty much solid. When I use the NEC Pattern Generator on it, and it looks great. All the colors are crisp and detailed.

Comment

Does your laptop happen to have a Nvidia graphics chipset?

Comment

No it's a Radeon 6620

Comment

Here's a pic showing the display with the Laptop in the foreground.
                  Might also mention that I am using the same HDMI port on all these pics.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Neonpeon; 10-19-2013, 09:37 AM.

Comment

I was asking because some Nvidia chipsets have issues with HDMI and sending RGB vs YPbPr data which some TVs do not correctly decode. Try seeing if there is an option for colourspace. Since you say test pattern generator (NEC?) looked OK?

Comment

It Looks ok, but I think it is because it has a mostly black background. Also, When I change settings on the tv, it flashes from dark to light. In the second it is dark, the image looks good. It is almost as if It has too much backlight which is washing out the screen?

Comment

Here is how to get to the service menu:
                        Turn off the set
                        Hit Display, Vol +, 5, then power.

Here is the service menu. I can hit 2 and get to this screen which shows reset, but I have no idea what to do now.
                        I'm up for trying a complete reset, if anyone knows how to do this.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Neonpeon; 10-19-2013, 10:03 AM.

Comment

I have the same tv doing this. Did you figure it out?

Comment

Most likely AS15F chip on Tcon board.

Comment

Yes tcon problem usually and if board economical then replace provided it isn't one bonded to screen.

Comment

http://www.ustvparts.com/apps/websto...s/show/4290766 Think that one will work, might want to triple check tho, unless you want to try changing out on component level.

Comment

Awesome! I kinda figured that would be it.

Comment

Highly unlikely that's the correct T-con for your TV. Most likely you have an AUO LCD panel. That one is for a Samsung panel. You're going to find the AUO replacement closer to $100.

Comment

Last edited by nomoresonys; 05-10-2018, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt6 View Post
                                        Highly unlikely that's the correct T-con for your TV. Most likely you have an AUO LCD panel. That one is for a Samsung panel. You're going to find the AUO replacement closer to $100.
                                        NO not at all, it's a Sony.

Comment

Working...
                                        X