Goodmans GTVL28W26HD - TV stuck in standby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodmans GTVL28W26HD - TV stuck in standby

Hi all, I am Declan, new member who has come here after numerous google searches were throwing up badcaps.net results.

Back Story: My son has a Goodmans GTVL28W26HD LCD TV. He uses it for xbox mostly but it has not worked in a while. He told me he is considering getting a new tv, so I asked him has he tried to find out what is wrong with this one. Answer was no, of course.

So I decided to try and solve it with the help of the internet. Now I am by no means of above average technical ability but I saved a faulty dishwasher with google and a solder gun and thought I will give this tv a go.

Problem: Ok heres the problem(s) with this LCD.
    Firstly the remote control is lost !

Secondly, The tv is stuck in standby mode. When it's plugged in the redlight comes on. But pushing the power/volumne/ P+/- buttons on the side of the set does not achieve anything.

I thought, hey simple maybe we just need anew remote but my son says that the tv did come on and was working after he lost the remote control by using the buttons on the TV.

So I hit the internet to see what I could learn. Not much but I have got this far.

Troubleshooting so far: After googling and surfing the internet for a while, I have lfound out a little about failed power supplies, bad caps etc and I took the back of the tv to have a look.
    No bad or bulging caps stood out on visual inspection.

So I took out a multimeter. The power board is a BEKO XL194-03.

It has 230v AC coming in confirmed.

On the DC end of the board there are two outputs.

First output point (12v to the mainboard) is reading 12v on the correct pins.

Second output point (24v to panel for screen) has no voltage reading.
    Now I am not sure if this is just because the tv is in standby so that is a question I need answered here please.

I followed the first output (12v to the mainboard) and from the main board we have wires to the button control panel and the remote senor/standby light panel. There is voltage reading of 3v on some of these wires.

So that's where I am now. Stuck and hoping for help.

Re: Goodmans GTVL28W26HD - TV stuck in standby

Yes the 24V will only turn on when the TV is out of standby.
    I cannot find any pictures of BEKO XL194-03 PSU, could you provide one?
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hi Tom, Hope these pics are to forum rules/sizes etc.
      Thanks
      Declan
      Attached Files

Comment

I would check the diodes on output side. Do you know how to do this?
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Yes I can do that. Do I test them in circuit or out?

Comment

In circuit is fine -- if you find one to be suspicious test out of circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
              I would check the diodes on output side. Do you know how to do this?
              Hi Tom,

On the board is D for diode?

There are 4 regular looking diodes which all read ok

D2001
              D2003
              D2008
              D2009

and then two three pin part diodes that are referenced D2010 and D2011 .
              If these are to be check I am not sure what I to do.

Thanks

Declan
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Declan_Ireland; 10-09-2013, 06:10 AM.

Comment

For three pin diodes check diode mode between 1-2, 2-3 and 3-1 both ways. "D" means diode yes.

Comment

Ok hope this multimeter I have is functioning ok.
                  It's giving me the readings in 3 digits. I presume there should be decimal points in front of them.

D2001 - 526
                  D2003 - 525
                  D2008 - 567
                  D2009 - 593

D2010

Pin 1 to 2 - 335
                  Pin 2 to 3 - 0
                  Pin 3 to 1 - continuous beep (ie same as touching two probes together)

reversed
                  Pin 1 to 2 - 0
                  Pin 2 to 3 - 336

D2011

Pin 1 to 2 - 289
                  Pin 2 to 3 - 0

reversed
                  Pin 1 to 2 - 0
                  Pin 2 to 3 - 289

Comment

Since this board has PFC, what dc voltage do you get when the TV is on? measure the voltage right at the two legs of that large cap laying on its side. D2011 must be OK otherwise you will not be getting the 12V output. I doubt that D2010 is bad.
                    Last edited by budm; 10-09-2013, 02:06 PM.
                    Never stop learning
                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

OK, it looks like the diodes are all OK. Next check: there is a large, 400/450V rated capacitor (highlighted.) VERY CAREFULLY check the voltage -across- it, red one end black the other. You are working on the primary side which carries an electrocution risk, so I advise you have someone watch you while you work. Do not touch any part of power supply on primary side.

I expect: 320V~350V before pressing power button (standby), rising to approx 380~400V after pressing power button.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hmmm I have read it a couple of times and getting readings around 718V~ in standby mode.
                        Pressing the power button there is no change (tv isstuck in standby).

Voltage from red/green wires @ power input to board is reading 230V~
                        Last edited by Declan_Ireland; 10-10-2013, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Your meter needs to be set on DC volts, not AC. If the readings are still high, check the battery is good.

Comment

Sorry Tom, I just realised that mistake myself while reading some other thread.

DC reading is 320

Thanks

Declan
                            Last edited by Declan_Ireland; 10-10-2013, 04:50 AM.

Comment

When you press power button, it does not change?

Comment

No Tom, it does not change at all.
                                Attached Files

Comment

OK, along connector on power board going to main board, there should be a pin marked PSON, or STBY...? Can you see this? If you can, check what it reads when in standby and when you press the button to turn the set on.

Comment

I have the following pins with readings:
                                    (The labels on the board for these pins are slighty covered. I will post a picture)

GND .........0
                                    GND .........0
                                    GND .........0
                                    12v .........12.56
                                    12v .........12.56
                                    12v..........12.56
                                    CT ..........0.3
                                    24 .......... empty pin
                                    DI .......... 0.05
                                    BLCT ....... 0.06

The readings do not change when pressing Power Button

Comment

Pic
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Possibly the CT pin, when you first plug in the set does this rise at all? Or is it steady ~0V?

Comment

Working...
                                        X