Clear All

WESTINGHOUSE EW32S5UW - blank screen

I know…"Westinghouse" who knew?

Anyway, Ill try to be brief
    1. the picture went out
    2. Sound still works
    3. Westinghouse logo appears on turn on a few seconds then no screen
    4. able to see images dimly with assistance from flashlight
    5. Looked for inverter board. Not typical to others I've seen on the internet
    6. only main board and long thin board at base of screen - Is this inverter board?
    7. Looked for bulging capacitors - none found
    8. Cant find service manual online free or to buy

Whatcha think? Target practice at the gun range?

Re: WESTINGHOUSE EW32S5UW - blank screen

Can you post pics of the back of your TV with the cover off?
    LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

Will do, gotta disassemble it again.

Comment

Here are the photos if I have uploaded them correctly.

The second one shows what it looks like just when you remove the back. This TV has an external inline power supply power cord just like a computer.

The photo of the boards show the board numbers in case anyone is familiar with them.

The first circuit board is the control and jack board. And the only other board that I can see at this level of dissassembly is a long thin board at the bottom of the screen. This may or may not be the problem. I just dont know. That board is shown in the photos too. Do I need to go deeper in the dissassembly?

Anyway, if you wouldnt mind taking a look and let me know what you think....about the TV repair, not what you think about me.

Thank you
        Attached Files
        Last edited by KD0CQG; 09-03-2013, 04:29 PM.

Comment

This is an LCD TV with LED backlights, it also uses external power supply. The pictures are not sharp so I cannot tell where the wires and the connectors are for the LEDs.
          Never stop learning
          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Ill get some sharper pics tomorrow. My apologies.

Comment

ok, here ya go. I hope these help.

When you look at photo 2 the two LED Driver connectors this TV only uses the one on the right (CONB102). in tracing the conductor paths they go to the black horizontal CAP (CAPXON 220uf 50v).

Im thinking two things. They are probably both wrong.

1. insert the LED ribbon cable into the LED driver connector on the left (CONB101) and see if that circuit works
              2. Change out the capacitor

I dunno, what do you think?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by KD0CQG; 09-21-2013, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Tossed in the trash.

Never buy westinghouse again.

Comment

If you listed it on Craigslist it would probably be gone for $30 in an hour, but it's your TV I guess. Hope someone finds it...
                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

GONNA paint a target on it and take it to the mountains for some zombie practice.

Comment

I am having the exact problem with this Westinghouse TV model. By any chance did you change your mind and gave another shot at fixing it? I was thinking about just changing out the mainboard to see if that would work.

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I just had the same issue on the same model. So for future searchers I found the problem to be the ribbon cable that goes into the panel was grounding out.

My problem was W logo flash and then nothing, back light out but with flashlight screen could be seen. All my voltages checked out correctly.

My solution was to place electrical tape on the aluminum frame where the cable plugs into the LEDs. I also placed 1/8" or so (couple layers of thick rubber tape) to keep the cable even for about an inch (90 degree bend). I then taped this all down and problem solved.

All that is required is removal of the back and unplugging the LED cable. (If broken there are fixes for this on the forum). Then just tape up the aluminum frame, cutting the tape so it goes as far into the frame as possible to prevent a short.

Comment

Working...
                        X