Vertical Red Line appears on Hitachi Plasma HD42S69

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vertical Red Line appears on Hitachi Plasma HD42S69

Hello, I have a Hitachi 42 inch plasmas, model number: HD42S69. I have a 3 inch thick vertical red line, left of center (if your facing the tv) that sporadically appears, but often. I took it to a repair shop. The guy told me that its not the control board and it isn't the display panel, it's a buffer board. He wanted $200 and he said the part is like $60. I figured I can just do it myself, but I don't know where the buffer board he was talking about is? Can you help me locate it? How do I even know what board is causing the issue?
    Attached Files

Re: Vertical Red Line appears on Hitachi Plasma HD42S69

Originally posted by Sross002 View Post
    Hello, I have a Hitachi 42 inch plasmas, model number: HD42S69. I have a 3 inch thick vertical red line, left of center (if your facing the tv) that sporadically appears, but often. I took it to a repair shop. The guy told me that its not the control board and it isn't the display panel, it's a buffer board. He wanted $200 and he said the part is like $60. I figured I can just do it myself, but I don't know where the buffer board he was talking about is? Can you help me locate it? How do I even know what board is causing the issue?
    Here is a picture of the back:
    Attached Files

Comment

Your X-buffer is located under here. Looks like you'll have to take a lot of stuff off to get to it.
      Attached Files
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Are you certain that is the issue? Where do you suggest I buy these parts?

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
          Your X-buffer is located under here. Looks like you'll have to take a lot of stuff off to get to it.
          I was able to locate the part. I can poke it and the red line goes away or flickers. I got the part number as well. But shop jimmy.com is calling it a a-bus r board, not a x buffer board.

Comment

A-BUS = X-buffer (Address buffer)

The problem is simply the connector. Just unplug it and plug it back in. You -may- want to use a little contact cleaner.

Do not make any change with power on!! The power must be off, or you could damage the plasma panel! Damage to the plasma panel is not repairable.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

A-BUS = X-buffer (Address buffer)

The problem is simply the connector. Just unplug it and plug it back in. You -may- want to use a little contact cleaner.

Do not make any change with power on!! The power must be off, or you could damage the plasma panel! Damage to the plasma panel is not repairable.
              Contact Cleaner?

Comment

You can buy a small spray can at local electronics shops. After applying the contact cleaner, wait around 10 minutes for it to dry out before turning the set back on.

Comment

You can buy a small spray can at local electronics shops. After applying the contact cleaner, wait around 10 minutes for it to dry out before turning the set back on.
                  Thanks for the quick replies!

Spray the whole board, or just the connectors on the board?

Comment

Just the suspect connector. Spray it on with the connector unplugged.

Comment

Just the suspect connector. Spray it on with the connector unplugged.
                      I guess a radio shack would have this cleaner?

Comment

They probably will. Other places like Fry's will stock them, you can also order it online if you are prepared to wait a few days (will cost a lot less too.)

Comment

They probably will. Other places like Fry's will stock them, you can also order it online if you are prepared to wait a few days (will cost a lot less too.)
                          Okay, got it!

Here's a picture of it. Can you tell me what connector(s) is causing the issue?
                          Attached Files

Comment

The four ones on the bottom -- whichever corresponds to the line on the screen.

Comment

The four ones on the bottom -- whichever corresponds to the line on the screen.
                              I'm looking at the back of the TV. There are two of these boards. Is my line because of the one on the right (facing back) or the left one?

Comment

Whichever side/connector the line is on. It looks like each connector drives two halves, each half being one sixteenth of the panel.

Comment

Though I did not clean the connectors, your advice worked! No more red line!
                                  Thank you for all your help.

Comment

Hello. My red line friend has reappeared but in a different location. Should I perform the same steps or buy a new board?

Comment

Same steps - reseat all connectors. Consider using contact cleaner.

Comment

We have this same problem with the very same tv. It's 7 years old. We will follow your advice tomorrow and see if it will help us. We really don't want to buy a new tv!

Comment

Working...
                                        X