Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

17PW20 PSU problems (From Finlux 32FLD760 TV)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 17PW20 PSU problems (From Finlux 32FLD760 TV)

It's a JVC LT-32DY8ZJ. Estimated to be manufactured around 2007 ish. I always thought JVC were a decent brand, but after this and sharing parts with goodmans, bush, etc, i'm well and truly put off now.

Comment

They used to be decent. Their CRTs were made in the UK at one point, joint partnership with Thorn. Excellent build quality. My dad had one (28" basic model), lasted him 7 years, gave it to the neighbours when the 50" NEC plasma was fixed for him. Probably still working today.

Now they've turned into a name.

But don't worry: Sharp and Toshiba do this, too. And Hitachi. And Sanyo.

All of the Japanese brands, except Panasonic, and Sony, are now rebadging tat. Apparently LG is offloading their lower end to the re-badge market too. Samsung aren't doing that yet, but they have their own issues with build quality...

So you get the same build quality in a 2011 onward Toshiba/Sharp as you get in a Bush or Alba! And yet, they're £70 extra?!
      Last edited by tom66; 02-10-2013, 06:22 PM.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Some sony tv's used to me made in wales IIRC, but i read an article about them a few weeks back going on about how they're going downhill fast, so it looks like we can only hope that out of the japs, panasonic is the only company left that makes decent stuff after pioneer stopped making plasmas.

Comment

I'm sitting here watching an awesome 46" Panasonic full HD plasma (2008-2009 generation.) "Wow" barely describes it.

Sony didn't invest in making plasma technology commercial: if you look back, they have a lot of older patents and design marks. But they decided to use NEC and LG panels instead.

And basically Sony is Samsung tech at a price premium, better build quality but not as good as Panasonic. So they're kind of stuck with no unique technology.

This is happening partially due to the economic downturn & "sort by lowest price" I guess.

This didn't happen with CRTs. The smaller brands (Toshiba, Sharp, Hitachi, Sanyo and JVC) still made their own sets. Usually imported picture tubes, but the electronics were their own or co-designed. I'm not sure why LCDs are different.
          Last edited by tom66; 02-10-2013, 07:21 PM.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Pull Psu from tv. Power on is 0v. All voltages will appear off load if psu is working. Of course you have to route the mains to Psu. Simply pull psu from set and connect mains. That is all you have to do.
            Last edited by ron77; 02-11-2013, 10:29 AM.

Comment

On a note, there is a repair kit for the Vestel 17PW20 power supply that is 'supposed' to fix backlight and standby problems.
              It consists of the following, so you can assemble the kit yourself.
              C877 15nF 1600V polyester
              C878 15nF 1600V polyester
              C801 33uF 63v 150deg C
              C892 100uF 50v 150 deg C
              C817 220uF 25v 150 deg C
              C901 4.7uF 50V 150deg C
              IC829 or Q809 ( whichever is fitted ) 78L05 or BC337

Kit is available from sparedparts.com but with the list above you can make your own kits up. It is for standby and backlight fault symptoms. These PSU's are used on so many sets, it is unbelievable.
              Terry.

Comment

Typo in parts list...caps are 105 degree C instead of 150 degree C

Comment

Hi all
                  just letting everyone know in case its of help to anyone with the 17PW20v2
                  board.I bought a jvc LT-32DY8ZJ,the fault was when the power button was pressed the light on the front blinked red for a second then went out,there was no power to the tv,i replaced c877 and c878 and now the tv works perfect.
                  hope this may be of use to someone.
                  shaun.

Comment

Hi guys. Just registered, sorry to drag this thread back up but I have the same problem (TV not able to go on from standby - it flashes for a second as if about to turn on but then doesn't). TV has the same 17PW20.1 PSU

I thought it was likely that the caps C877 and C878 were gone, but upon removing from board and testing with a multimeter they are both reading very close to the value specified by toerag (15nF). My question is, is the multimeter a reliable test? Could it be reading correctly on the mm, but then be failing in some way in actual use?

Apart from that I would really appreciate advice on what to test next?
                    Many thanks!

Comment

I dont trust testing caps with anything but an ESR reader tbh.

I'm just about to dig into one of these PSU's too.

Not intermittent on the fault but perm... powers to standby and does nothing else at all... Lovely buzzing from the PSU hence I have it on my lap
                      Last edited by newtothis; 10-18-2013, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by emardee View Post
                        so if i need to "pull stby low" to power psu up outside the tv, what would be the easiest way to do this?

Mike
                        17pw20.1 earth pin6/pl803 to force 24v/3v3 to start

Comment

hi has anybody got a drawing for the 17PW20 V1 010507 PSU?.I`ve tried the link from another post but it doesn`t work

Comment

See HERE
                            http://www.toms-service-manuals.com/...&Search=Submit

Comment

Working...
                            X