X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Phillips 42PFL5432D/37 Chirping and No Picture

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/419...007-e3-54.html

UF4007 What he meant?

Edit: Also would the standard 1N4007 work for it? (JW)
    http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/719...-p6ke120a.html

This is currently in it.
    Last edited by tw1ztid; 01-23-2012, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tw1ztid View Post
      UF4007 What he meant?
      I'll let tom66 clarify what he meant because I'm no mind reader. He is in the UK so he is probably sleeping now.

BTW, all those parts list selected above require a minimum order in the 1000s.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
        I'll let tom66 clarify what he meant because I'm no mind reader. He is in the UK so he is probably sleeping now.

BTW, all those parts list selected above require a minimum order in the 1000s.
        lol I noticed. I found the single order equivalents.

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...ACT-ND/2770358 This is what we ordered.

I "think" tom was referring to if you do the radio shack diode to see if it works.

Comment

They have no FR or UF at radioshack, they don't even carry the 1N4007. Mainly 4005 and numbers a little lower.. If any of those would be safe i'd be willing to try. I'm looking forward to hooking it up!

Comment

Originally posted by tw1ztid View Post
              They have no FR or UF at radioshack, they don't even carry the 1N4007. Mainly 4005 and numbers a little lower.. If any of those would be safe i'd be willing to try. I'm looking forward to hooking it up!
              http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062575
              This is what he got. Its not correct but truth be told he used the tv until the correct digikey ones were delivered.

Comment

It works beautifully!

Comment

My wifes friend was throwing this TV away did every thing you have suggested and it works wonderfull. New TV for $13.00 GOOD JOB.

Comment

My Philips did the same thing and thanks to y'all's help it is back up and running. I'm using the Radio Shack diodes; is there any long term risk if I keep those in?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062575

Comment

Wow, I am surprised this is working, you guys decided to replace ZENER diodes with regular diodes? They are marked ZD not D on the board, so must be zener diodes. Or am I missing something?

-Ben
                      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bill View Post
                        Just make sure it has a diode check function for it. I'm sure even the cheapest multimeters should have that function. I pulled up my photos from my cousins power supply and the 2 diodes we changed we ZD902 & ZD904
                        Thanks so much. I have a Philips 42pfl5432d/37b with the same problem, and after I changed the 4 caps and only one diode and the tv is back working like a charm!

Comment

Do you have a pn# of the two diodes you replaced?

Comment

P6ke120a

Comment

Having the same problem, chirping, same model. I notice the three caps are bulged. Tested digital multimeter on the diodes. They all ring solid continuity, readings are:
                              ZD904: .025
                              ZD902: .021
                              D925: .046
                              D912: .000
                              Those readings are inside the circuit. I have not desoldered.
                              I believe if I replace the three caps (1500 uF 36V), it would bring the TV to life.

Also notice in the images below: The 3 bulged caps, and burn marks near ZD904 and ZD902.

What do you guys here suggest? Anything else?
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by chief0x; 08-10-2012, 09:12 AM.

Comment

I see you listed the 3 capacitors that needed replaced, with new model numbers and a link on newark.com to buy them. I need those, my question is, where did you get the diodes from? The ones that are bad, I have ZD904, ZD902, D925, and D912. My fuses are showing continuity so I guess those are fine. Also, was there anything else that needed replaced? The fourth capacitor, which is smaller, appears to be fine. I haven't tested my three large caps, but they are obviously bulging. C951, C952, and C953.

Comment

Originally posted by chief0x View Post
                                  ZD904: .025
                                  ZD902: .021
                                  D925: .046
                                  D912: .000
                                  I forgot to add, these readings were both directions, so I'm suggesting these are bad, right? They seem to be open, and not block directionally which a normal diode would read 0L one direction.

Comment

Originally posted by chief0x View Post
                                    I forgot to add, these readings were both directions, so I'm suggesting these are bad, right? They seem to be open, and not block directionally which a normal diode would read 0L one direction.
                                    All are dead, completely shorted.
                                    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bill View Post
                                      Take a real close look at the two diodes i put the box around. My cousin has a philips 37PFL5332D/37 that died. The 3 caps were bloated. We changed them and the tv started chirping. The light on the front lit up solid just like you describe but we didn't get a display. The chirp noise was a first long screech followed by shorter chirps until we turned it off. The noise was also coming from the transformer area next to the 2 diodes.

The 2 diodes are the same and from your picture the one closest to the transformer looks different compared to the other on right next to it.

If you can post a good zoom in of that area and if you have a multimeter check them to see if they are open/shorted.

Once we replaced the 2 diodes the tv fired to life and has been working solid ever since.
                                      So you never replaced the bloated capacitors, only the two diodes? My photo is just like yours, they look "cooked" on the board, like a an arc burn or something. And also the readings show me on the multimeter that they are blown. Did you have any other blown diodes or bad caps? Also is there a way to test a capacitor with my multimeter?

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                        Make sure to use a 600V rated PIV diode or higher. Like 1N4007. Probably has to be fast recovery so FR4007 would be better.
                                        Where can I get the diodes I need for this tv board? They are obviously blown

Comment

In my situation i replaced the 3 bad caps and then i had the chirping noise. ZD902 and ZD904 are known to fail and cause the chirping but i would suggest atleast removing one leg of all 4 suspected diodes and see if they still read shorted.

ZD902 & ZD904 are P6KE120A
                                          Not sure about the other 2 but the service manual should give a part number in the spare parts list.

All the parts can be bought from digikey.com
                                          Shipping starts at around $2.20 for first class US mail if you live in the United States.

Comment

Working...
                                          X