Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is an L&C power supply suitable for a Celeron 2.2GHz PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is an L&C power supply suitable for a Celeron 2.2GHz PC?

Originally posted by acstech
    Any oscilloscope results?
    Sorry, if my Enermax 300W PSU hadn't failed then my L&C would of been hooked up to the oscilloscope. Since it's now being used in a computer, I can't guarantee for sure if it'll ever be hooked up to the oscilloscope.

But good thing it's working great.
    My gaming PC:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
    ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
    PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
    G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
    TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
    WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
    ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
    Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
    Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
      the first still had 4 diodes and a lack of transformers. better but no good

btw, that card better be better than decent. that is the nicest one in the house (i thought my geforce 5200fx 128mb was nice...)
      Its got a pretty big transformer right there in the middle.

call me a retard but which components are the switchers?
      Usually all or most of the silicon bolted to the primary side heatsink.

Comment

ok, ill check my allied sitting in my room for those.

thanks for the vid. link. i am trying to get my friend's computer business to stop using a-power. they say they are nice becase they last 4 years. i say 4 years is pitiful. gutless wonders suck.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2
          I have taken the +12V and +5V voltages that my L&C power supply is currently supplying to the computer it is in. The +12V rail is at 11.97V, and the +5V rail is at 5.05V. Both are rock solid (no fluctuations at all).
          How is the temperature on the case and fan outlet? Also, are these voltage measures under full load as well?
          The voltages above look great, though. Probably due to the fact that there's much better capacitors now. Of course acstech is right, o-scope shots would be nice to see if there's any ripple and noise still (it will complete this thread nicely).
          ----
          Just one more suggestion and I hope you don't mind (I know I'm probably getting on your nerves now )... if there are any big power resistors touching the secondary caps (or very close to them), try and push the resistors away from the caps. If they can't be pushed away, try to solder them in a different place (but keep them on the same rail they were on) - there's usually space next to the output wires. This will keep the caps cool and can extend their life.
          Also, you can use one of the FR302 3A diodes to replace the 5vsb diode output if you like.
          ----
          As for the rest of the power supply: I must say, you did a great job yet again!
          So what do you say, maybe we look into the Enermax next?

Comment

I thought this PSU was done! Well it is, now I'll have to see if it will last in its unexpected return to powering a computer.

When I get the time I'll take a look at that Enermax 300W, there must be a reason for it to not be working normally!
            My gaming PC:

Comment

Here's what happened with my Enermax 300W:

I had just recapped the VIA P4PA-UL motherboard I had. I hooked everything up including that Enermax 300W PSU. Yay, the motherboard works when I powered it on. I did a short run of Memtest86+ v2.11 to test the motherboard's stability. Memtest86+ for 2 hours found no errors, so I shut off the computer so I could plug in the rest of the front panel connectors (I only had the power button plugged in at the time).

I finish that, and power up the computer. It did not POST! No beeps at all, just fans spinning. I cleared the CMOS using the clear CMOS jumper, no POST. I take the motherboard out and touch up the solder joints of the ATX and P4 12V connectors on the motherboard. I put it back in the case and hook everything back up, still no POST. I reseat the video card and tried another known working video card without any improvement to the problem, still no POST. I reseated the RAM, still no POST. As a desperate last attempt to get the motherboard working I swap out the Enermax 300W with my modified L&C power supply. I pressed the power button, fans spin up, and POST!

I put back the Enermax and tried it again. No POST like before. I put the L&C back in, the motherboard works. I finally conclude that the Enermax PSU is at fault, and a fresh installation of XP Pro SP3 along with a two hour run of Prime95 went out without any problems with the L&C power supply.

I never expected the Enermax to somehow fail, it is built very well. Maybe the PCE-TUR caps in it are causing the problem.
              My gaming PC:

Comment

Talk about a labour of love.

Congrats on a well done mod job!

Comment

Originally posted by momaka

JNC is probably one of the worst L&Cs you'll ever see. Those PSUs were quite popular in Easter Europe. I actually had one, but it died (surprising, isn't it?).
                  Here's what it looked like more or less:
                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ighlight=m-tec
                  Reading that thread, you seemed to have one as well.
                  HAHAHAHA I had that exact one that kc8adu was talking about actually!

I still have the remnants of it, I'll take a few pictures and post them here.
                  My gaming PC:

Comment

Newbie2: This could be an ATX 1.3 and 2.0 issue - ATX 2.0 PSU don't have -5V any more, and the Enermax 300W may be missing it, while the mobo may require it. The other possibility is insufficient current on +5Vsb, the ATX spec changed it from 1A to 2A somewhere along the line.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxguru
                      Newbie2: This could be an ATX 1.3 and 2.0 issue - ATX 2.0 PSU don't have -5V any more, and the Enermax 300W may be missing it, while the mobo may require it. The other possibility is insufficient current on +5Vsb, the ATX spec changed it from 1A to 2A somewhere along the line.
                      The Enermax 300W power supply I have is not new at all, I pulled it out of a used PC with a Pentium III 450MHz processor back in 2005. It is newer than that ancient computer though, it has P4 support. Its model number is EG301P-VE.

It has the -5V rail, at 1A. It has the +5VSB rail at 2.2A. Here are the complete specifications of it:

+3.3V: 28A
                      +5V: 30A
                      +12V: 15A
                      -5V: 1A
                      -12V: 1A
                      +5VSB: 2.2A
                      +3.3V & 5V: 170W
                      TOTAL POWER: 300W
                      My gaming PC:

Comment

Here are pictures of my Enermax 300W power supply:

My gaming PC:

Comment

Good work Newbie2!
                          Would love to see some scope shots too

As for the Enermax, they are kinda famous for this problem; https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5466
                          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

recap the enermax and it will be nice. good heatsinks. get rid of the glue though
                            Last edited by ratdude747; 08-06-2009, 01:18 PM.
                            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Luckily, I inspected the MOSFETS on the primary side and the power rectifiers on the secondary side and none of them had that glue.

And I fixed it! I replaced all of the "JPCE-TUR" capacitors on the secondary side with a mix of Panasonic and Rubycon capacitors.

1 JPCE-TUR 3300uf 16V 12.5mm capacitor -> 1 Panasonic FM series 2700uf 16V 12.5mm capacitor

2 JPCE-TUR 3300uf 10V 12.5mm capacitors -> 2 Panasonic FM series 2700uf 16V 12.5mm capacitors

2 JPCE-TUR 2200uf 10V 10mm capacitors -> 2 Rubycon MCZ series 1800uf 16V 10mm capacitors

2 JPCE-TUR 1000uf 10V 8mm capacitors -> 2 Rubycon MCZ series 1800uf 6.3V 8mm capacitors

2 JPCE-TUR 470uf 16V 8mm capacitors -> 2 Panasonic FC series 470uf 35V 10mm capacitors

1 JPCE-TUR 100uf 16V capacitor -> 1 Panasonic FC series 220uf 25V 8mm capacitor

Pictures:

Now the VIA P4PA-UL motherboard I have in my Celeron 2.2GHz computer will POST with my Enermax 300W power supply, after I recapped it.
                              My gaming PC:

Comment

Before leaving the subject of questionable power supplies.....................

I was gutting an Athena 400 watt power supply - removed the 5vsb transformer and heat sinks with transistors and diodes. What is left tells an interesting story. For a power supply rated for 400 watts - no x and y filter components on the input side, just jumper wires. Input capacitors are 330 Mfd. And on the output side - look how small the capacitors are. Most interesting is the four separate diodes in the bridge circuit. Two of the diodes are LT5315 2A07 (could not find a datasheet for these) and the other two are LT5216 1N4007. The 1N4007 diode is rated for only one amp. So the most you are going to get thru the bridge is one amp. Multiply that by 110 volts and the max input power is 110 watts. If 80% efficient, that means this power supply is good only for 88 watts!
                                Attached Files
                                Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

And the award for tiniest diodes goes too....

not a good thing at all.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by everell
                                    Before leaving the subject of questionable power supplies.....................

I was gutting an Athena 400 watt power supply - removed the 5vsb transformer and heat sinks with transistors and diodes. What is left tells an interesting story. For a power supply rated for 400 watts - no x and y filter components on the input side, just jumper wires. Input capacitors are 330 Mfd. And on the output side - look how small the capacitors are. Most interesting is the four separate diodes in the bridge circuit. Two of the diodes are LT5315 2A07 (could not find a datasheet for these) and the other two are LT5216 1N4007. The 1N4007 diode is rated for only one amp. So the most you are going to get thru the bridge is one amp. Multiply that by 110 volts and the max input power is 110 watts. If 80% efficient, that means this power supply is good only for 88 watts!
                                    Assume 70% efficiency (most generic power supplies are probably around that efficiency) and that Athena power supply is only good for 77 watts!

It would probably provide just enough power for an old low-end Pentium MMX or Pentium II computer, but nothing else. I think that's why the only 400W Athena Power power supply I could find on Newegg.com was for old AT systems: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817338025
                                    Last edited by Newbie2; 08-06-2009, 06:48 PM.
                                    My gaming PC:

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2
                                      HAHAHAHA I had that exact one that kc8adu was talking about actually!

I still have the remnants of it, I'll take a few pictures and post them here.
                                      Well as said, here is a pictures of the remnants of my old "PRO POWER" 250W power supply:
                                      My gaming PC:

Comment

Newbie2: did your Pro Power come with CapXon caps and 18 gauge wire?

Everell: Other than the undersized components, the PCB looks pretty clean actually. The design of that "400w" Athena doesn't look bad. Perhaps it has short circuit and maybe other protections as well.
                                        Could make a nice basic power supply with better caps and diodes. Main transformer is size "28" though, so this power supply is limited to 200 watts.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka
                                          Newbie2: did your Pro Power come with CapXon caps and 18 gauge wire?
                                          It did come with CapXon capacitors, but the capacitors you see in the picture are not its original capacitors as I used it as something to practice with when I first learned how to solder.

I'm not sure on the wire gauge, but it is thin wire.
                                          My gaming PC:

Comment

Working...
                                          X