Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is an L&C power supply suitable for a Celeron 2.2GHz PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is an L&C power supply suitable for a Celeron 2.2GHz PC?

Damn I wish I could buy a decent AGP card for $6. It would be quite useful too!

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
      Powmax?
      those have rulycon in them! powmax, the poer supply made by cheap posers, made for cheap posers
      Deer used Rulycon as well. Even Fuhjyyu are way better than those. The newer Deers use YC, which are better than Fuhjyyu.

I have an older PowMax LP6100-D from 2001. To the contrary belief, that thing is built like a tank. 5v rail has 2x 30A diodes for 60A total! And the heatsinks are very thick too. It also has proper 18 gauges wires throughout, 1000uF primaries, a power MOSFET on the primary good for 33A in pulsed mode, and a normal "35" size transformer. Only thing that brought it down was the Jun Fu caps on the secondary and JEE on the primary. But I'm actually recaping that one. It's excellent for older 5v-based systems.

Originally posted by ratdude747
      oh, and did i get a good deal on my vid card?
      Yes, $5 is really good.
      But go make your own thread and quit stealing people's threads!
      Last edited by momaka; 08-04-2009, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka
        Deer used Rulycon as well. Even Fuhjyyu are way better than those. The newer Deers use YC, which are better than Fuhjyyu.

I have an older PowMax LP6100-D from 2001. To the contrary belief, that thing is built like a tank. 5v rail has 2x 30A diodes for 60A total! And the heatsinks are very thick too. It also has proper 18 gauges wires throughout, 1000uF primaries, a power MOSFET on the primary good for 33A in pulsed mode, and a normal "35" size transformer. Only thing that brought it down was the Jun Fu caps on the secondary and JEE on the primary. But I'm actually recaping that one. It's excellent for older 5v-based systems.
        Wow! a somewhat decent PowMax?

Does it actually have most of the parts in it instead of jumpers?
        Like many other manufacturers, did they originally make something somewhat decent and then go into decline?

I'm a latecomer to the PSU scene and have only seen the really awful PowMaxes of legend. The kind marked "400w" with tiny primary diodes and a whole lot of jumpers instead of actual parts.

Oh, and thank you for the relative comparison of cheapie caps. Far too many merely shout "Junk" when confronted with the all-too-common Cruddy Chinese Capacitor when in fact a large number of these poorly crafted components actually do work pretty decently for quite some time. It's helpful to know the worst of the worst from the best of the worst.

Have Fun,
        Keri
        The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

I've seen a picture of an old Powmax power supply, yes they were built like a tank. They definitely looked like something that you could trust in a computer.

I wonder why they decided to give up manufacturing high quality dependable power supplies and make lightweight gutless wonders that don't last very long, blow black soot out of the fan when they fail, and kill all of the computer's components.
          My gaming PC:
          AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
          ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
          PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
          G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
          TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
          WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
          ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
          Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
          Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
          Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
          Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

The first one is a really old powmax, the second one is a newer one, they buy used parts from recyclers, thats how they good decent parts in some of their units.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2
              I wonder why they decided to give up manufacturing high quality dependable power supplies and make lightweight gutless wonders that don't last very long, blow black soot out of the fan when they fail, and kill all of the computer's components.
              Hi Newbie2

Oh, that's an easy one!

It's called:

"Let's cut costs to the bone and ride on our reputation for awhile while raking in huge profits".

And when the reputation runs out,

"Let's corner the lowest end of the bottom of the market where there is never a shortage of Cheapskates who will buy anything so long as it is cheaper than anyone else".

This is actually a pretty good plan that is bound to work for a number of years. There is never a shortage of people that buy on price alone.

Just keep sticking bigger wattage rating on that same old time bomb and maybe add some dummy weights and a second fan..... they'll keep coming back for more! There's one born every minute!

Oh well,
              Keri
              Last edited by KeriJane; 08-04-2009, 08:22 PM.
              The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
                  HAHAHAHAHA nice one!

I'd never trust a Powmax power supply to power any computer, except if a spectacular DIY fireworks display was wanted.
                  My gaming PC:

Comment

The first one is a really old powmax, the second one is a newer one, they buy used parts from recyclers, thats how they good decent parts in some of their units.
                    For the older Powmax power supply that isn't a gutless wonder, replacing the dreaded four diodes on the primary side with an actual bridge rectifier and replacing all of the Rulycon/JEE junk on the secondary would make it a very good power supply.
                    My gaming PC:

Comment

Well 370forlife, you beat me to it. The one in the first picture you posted - that's the one I have. It was originally posted by larrymoencurly here:
                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...0&postcount=30
                      Some components are slightly different on mine, but it's the same thing more or less. It's a 300 watt design with a bit of headroom for probably another 50 watts, but PowMax also labels some as 400 watts. Mine is labeled "CompUSA 500 watt Power Supply" - quite overrated.
                      Of course in 2001, there were hardly any systems that would eat that much power anyways, hence there wasn't a chance to overload it that much.
                      Overall, PowMax was a-ok for back then. Now they're just unacceptable.
                      ----
                      Newbie2: Reason why is because it's profitable. Like Keri said, there's always someone to buy a power supply like that.

Originally posted by KeriJane
                      This is actually a pretty good plan that is bound to work for a number of years.
                      Actually it can work for many years. The way it works is cheap companies like that usually produce under a range of different names. That way, even if one of their brands becomes famous for exploding, they just move to a different name where people still don't know much about it. This problem gets even more amplified when the company decides to sell some of their PSUs to exporters and puts whatever label the exporter wants (usually even more overrated). In the end you get multiple different brands but all carrying the same gutless power supply within. One brand may get known to be bad, but there's still the others that aren't. By the time they get known too, the company already makes big profits and changes names yet again.

Comment

I have seen L&C power supplies under different brand names, like I think everell's "Raptor", I've seen a failed "Pro Power" at an old computer shop (now gone), "JNC" I heard of on the Internet, there must be many more out there that I don't know of.

Typically I can identify that it's an L&C power supply based on the model number (starts with "LC"). Searching up the UL number on the sticker if it has one might also help trace the original manufacturer.
                        My gaming PC:

Comment

Somehow, I think this video is appropriate...

http://www.corsair.com/cinema/movie.aspx?id=622747
                          A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

hahahahahahahahahaha the music for that video is hilarious
                            and YIKES! I sure don't want something crappy like that powering my $1000+ computer!

Comment

Originally posted by acstech
                              Somehow, I think this video is appropriate...

http://www.corsair.com/cinema/movie.aspx?id=622747
                              The power supplies in that video look like Powmax in my opinion.

In my opinion while the heatsinks look decent in that video, the input filtering and secondary side were not nice looking.
                              My gaming PC:

Comment

The thing in that video is that they assume the label on the power supply is correct so they load the power supply to 75% based on that.

Anything that has the smaller "33" type transofrmer won't do more than 250 watts. And most generic power supplies also use 2x TO-220 switchers (usually not even capable of 20A in pulsed mode) in a half-bridge design, which by itself is outdated and innefficient.
                                Therefore the results in that video were kind of expected.

The power supplies in that video look like Powmax in my opinion.
                                Looks like a low-end 7700 model. Those are more or less equivalent to the mid-grade L&Cs (but not Deer and Allied).
                                Also, there aren't many other power supply manufacturers that use this dual-fan design, so I'd say you're probably correct.

"JNC" I heard of on the Internet
                                JNC is probably one of the worst L&Cs you'll ever see. Those PSUs were quite popular in Easter Europe. I actually had one, but it died (surprising, isn't it?).
                                Here's what it looked like more or less:
                                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ighlight=m-tec
                                Reading that thread, you seemed to have one as well.

Comment

th video looks like they used a-power supplies. my apower board has the same components but lower-profile heatsinks.

don't you love the candy-cane toroid coils with the red and white wire? what an inefficient POS component (better than 2 pieces of jumper wire though)
                                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

the first still had 4 diodes and a lack of transformers. better but no good

btw, that card better be better than decent. that is the nicest one in the house (i thought my geforce 5200fx 128mb was nice...)
                                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by momaka
                                      Anything that has the smaller "33" type transofrmer won't do more than 250 watts. And most generic power supplies also use 2x TO-220 switchers (usually not even capable of 20A in pulsed mode) in a half-bridge design, which by itself is outdated and innefficient.
                                      call me a retard but which components are the switchers?
                                      sigpic

Comment

I have finished the modifications on my L&C power supply!

Most importantly I replaced the two FR302 3A diodes on the secondary side with an STTH2002CT 20A TO-220 power rectifier.

I also replaced the Panasonic FC series 1000uf 16V cap I had on the 12V rail (C27 on the PCB) with a Panasonic FM series 2700uf 16V 12.5mm capacitor to increase the capacitance on that rail. The Nichicon HE series 1000uf 6.3V 8mm capacitors I had on the 5V and 3.3V rails (C22, C23, C25, and C28 on the PCB) were replaced by Panasonic FM series 1500uf 10V 10mm capacitors. On the primary side, the two CapXon 330uf 200V capacitors I had in it were replaced by two Nichicon PW series 470uf 200V capacitors. I even replaced all of the tiny 2.2uf 50V and 47uf 50V capacitors with Panasonic FC series capacitors of the same values. Now my power supply has all Japanese-brand capacitors!

Last but not least, I replaced the 80x80x25mm fan I had in it with a new Sunon EE80251S3-0000-999 12VDC 33CFM sleeve bearing fan. It's pretty quiet.

Pictures:

The top view of my L&C power supply's internals.

A view of the new Nichicon PW series input capacitors.

A view of the new secondary side capacitors.

No more two FR302 3A diodes! Now there's a nice STTH2002CT 20A TO-220 power rectifier in their place.

A view of the new fan.

My Enermax 300W power supply decided to stop sufficiently powering my newly recapped motherboard (VIA P4PA-UL, I have it in another thread) so the motherboard wouldn't POST while the fans and lights were running. I took my chances and put in my L&C power supply, and so far it's doing fine.

Here are the complete specifications of the computer that it's powering (I overhauled my Celeron 2.2GHz computer):

Processor: Intel Celeron 2.2GHz processor (Northwood, 128k L2 cache, Socket 478)
                                        Motherboard: VIA P4PA-UL socket 478 ATX motherboard
                                        RAM: Kingston ValueRAM KVR400X64C3A/1G 1GB DDR400 PC3200 RAM (1x1GB)
                                        Hard drive: Maxtor 40GB
                                        CD drive: PHILIPS CDD5301 DVD/CD-RW IDE combo drive
                                        Video card: BFG NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 256MB AGP 8X video card
                                        Power supply: L&C LC-B450 E 450W P4 ATX power supply (my modified one)
                                        Case: Old beige generic ATX case
                                        OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3

I have taken the +12V and +5V voltages that my L&C power supply is currently supplying to the computer it is in. The +12V rail is at 11.97V, and the +5V rail is at 5.05V. Both are rock solid (no fluctuations at all).

Hopefully it'll last!
                                        My gaming PC:

Comment

Any oscilloscope results?
                                          A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

Working...
                                          X