Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is an L&C power supply suitable for a Celeron 2.2GHz PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is an L&C power supply suitable for a Celeron 2.2GHz PC?

ratdude; I don't think you quite got Newbie2's message
    It wasn't who has the biggest e-peen

It is just a matter of how much stuff you have and what you can afford
    I know very well for example how hard it was when I was a kid to get stuff (not implying you are one) but once you get a job etc the stuff you used to dream about owning suddenly end up in a scrap heap in your apartement, funny how that works...

What isn't gained with increased funding is however knowledge, and to gain that you have to poke stuff apart to see what makes it all tick (imo)
    And Newbie2 has done a fantastic job as this, the knowledge you gain by doing a job like this far far outweigh the value of that Celeron system he uses for testing this PSU...

I know I myself was kinda harsh in the beginning of this thread, but I didn't realize you would use the PSU for learning, for that anything is good
    I am very impressed by the work you have done to this PSU, I am still of the opinion that it isn't a reliable PSU
    But the knowledge you have gained by poking about in it far outwigh that
    Good work
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I nderstand that despite the modifications I have done to my L&C power supply, it will never be the greatest power supply, but I'm determined to at least learn a little bit about how it works and to improve reliability from how it was originally was.

My father wants to do simple load testing and hook my L&C power supply up to his oscilloscope to I guess check for oscillation and ripple, since he wants to make sure it doesn't kill my Celeron 2.2GHz computer.
      My gaming PC:
      AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
      ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
      PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
      G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
      TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
      WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
      ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
      Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
      Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
      Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Newbie2, I applaud you for taking the time and effort to learn with this power supply. The knowledge gained makes it worth it.

I would, however, only use it for testing. As has been pointed out, it is what it is, and that's an L&C. What I would do, is get one of those AcBel 550w units:

http://www.hypermicro.com/itemdesc.a...SAB001&eq=&Tp=

Just a suggestion.
        A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

A solid 550W power supply would be nice, but my Celeron 2.2GHz computer doesn't need that much power. I have an Enermax 300W power supply powering it at the moment, it's nice and heavy and it works well even if it's filled with PCE-TUR capacitors.

My L&C will go through load and oscilloscope testing after its done.
          My gaming PC:

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2
            My L&C will go through load and oscilloscope testing after its done.
            A wise decision. I just hope it doesn't blow up and ruin your investment (both time and monetary).

But if it does blow up, I want to see pics!
            A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

im getting one of those 550w power supplies. my ati radeon x800xl agp card needs it.

i assume it is safe to use on an athlon xp 1800+ system.
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                im getting one of those 550w power supplies. my ati radeon x800xl agp card needs it.

i assume it is safe to use on an athlon xp 1800+ system.
                Radeon X800XL? Athlon XP 1800+?

That 550W power supply is a great value, even though your computer is older. You can't beat the price.
                My gaming PC:

Comment

The comment about your improved L&C "not reliable"??? It may not be more powerful, but not reliable? If it is safer, not like powmax, not a firebomb, and has enough power to do the job - where does this "not reliable" come from.

You have definitely improved your L&C power supply. 370forlife has improved his 575 watt power supply (isn't it also from the L&C family?). I guess I'm going to have to start working on my Raptor - starting with that sorry 5vsb circuit! I think it has enough power for my Biostar M6VLQ motherboard (Pentium 3, onboard sound, video, LAN, and 256Mb of memory). Then I can share in the flood of opinions - most of which have not been supported with fact.
                  Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

I haven't touched the 575W logisys that my friend was using, he is still using it in a pentium dual core pc with a 8800gts! Its unmodified too!

HE WON'T LISTEN TO ME! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The powork 650W (YueLin) is much better built in many ways than the logisys (unknown OEM, only info I can find is Keedra Electronics, which may just be the pcb maker.)

it was etnietering that fixed up a 480W logisys that uses the same pcb but the 575W has a bridge rectifier.
                    Last edited by 370forlife; 08-03-2009, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Sorry 370forlife - I got you confused with etnietering - the one who made the improvements on his power supply. So your friend is using that Logisys575 with no improvements??? Let the fireworks begin! Please post some pictures when it blows!
                      Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

He's RMA'd about every part except the psu because he can't figure out why it keeps randomly restarting.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
                          I haven't touched the 575W logisys that my friend was using, he is still using it in a pentium dual core pc with a 8800gts! Its unmodified too!

HE WON'T LISTEN TO ME! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
                          He'll listen to you when his Logisys 575W power supply blows and kills all of his nice expensive components.
                          My gaming PC:

Comment

I helped a friend who had a computer that kept randomly restarting. Turned out to be the Power-On push button was intermittent. Cheap case, cheap button, and the power supply which came with it had blown up about a year earlier. He was in a hurry, so we replaced the Power-On button with a cheap Radio Shack push button switch (mounted to front of computer). Radio Shack push button switch may be cheap, but not as cheap as the Power-On switch button that was in the case!

Old Chinese proverb says....you get what you pay for......if you're lucky.

Comment

If even a simple power button on a case is of shoddy quality then the included power supply that failed must of been very bad.
                              My gaming PC:

Comment

It was a PowMax

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
                                  ratdude; I don't think you quite got Newbie2's message
                                  It wasn't who has the biggest e-peen

It is just a matter of how much stuff you have and what you can afford
                                  I know very well for example how hard it was when I was a kid to get stuff (not implying you are one) but once you get a job etc the stuff you used to dream about owning suddenly end up in a scrap heap in your apartement, funny how that works...
                                  yes, i am a kid- 17 and one month old.

Originally posted by Newbie2
                                  Radeon X800XL? Athlon XP 1800+?

That 550W power supply is a great value, even though your computer is older. You can't beat the price.
                                  yes, athlon xp 1800+

the graphics card:

and to make it funny, what was on the box:

yes, i paid 6 bucks for it. i tested it on another machine and got a boot but no more since the psu could not cut the mustard.

Originally posted by everell
                                  It was a PowMax
                                  Powmax?

those have rulycon in them! powmax, the poer supply made by cheap posers, made for cheap posers
                                  Attached Files
                                  sigpic

Comment

Rulycon is high end for powmax! Most have Chmec or Yihec.

Who comes up with those names?

Comment

dang. and i thought fuhjyyu was the worst. i am mistaken... oh wait, and then there's YC.

oh, and did i get a good deal on my vid card?
                                      sigpic

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-X800-GTO-256...d=p3286.c0.m14

Thats about the cheapest I could find on ebay, factor in shipping, you got a pretty good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                                          oh, and did i get a good deal on my vid card?
                                          $5.99 for an ATI Radeon X800XL video card is quite a "steal" I'd say!

Staples stills sells a very old obsolete ATI Radeon 9250 PCI video card for a whopping $79.99! http://www.staples.com/Diamond-Steal...P1928:CL140474

At Newegg the cheapest AGP video card would be an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128MB video card, for $27.99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814187044

Both of the video cards mentioned above are inferior when compared to your X800XL.
                                          My gaming PC:

Comment

Working...
                                          X