Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is an L&C power supply suitable for a Celeron 2.2GHz PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is an L&C power supply suitable for a Celeron 2.2GHz PC?

Here's a link to the schematic of the Y-B200ATX design that Deer uses (the image is too big to be displayed directly on this forum): http://img509.*************/img509/9...chyb200atx.png

I'd consider L&C as Deer's low end power supplies, since they're commonly found in inexpensive cases.

I remember that my power supply had the C25 and C29 capacitor locations empty in its original state. C29, according to the schematic I have, is a 470uf 16V capacitor for the -5V rail, I put a Nichicon 470uf 25V capacitor in that place. The value of C25 isn't specified in the schematic, but it appears to be part of the 5V rail according to the schematic so I added a Nichicon 1000uf 6.3V capacitor in that place.
    Last edited by Newbie2; 07-29-2009, 10:41 AM.
    My gaming PC:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
    ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
    PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
    G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
    TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
    WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
    ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
    Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
    Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

I found an old MOSPEC F06C20 power rectifier in an old junk power supply I have. It is rated at 200V, and it is a 6A part.

Basically it would be a direct replacement for the two diodes in my L&C power supply assuming the diodes are 3A individually, but would an actual power rectifier of the same capacity as the two combined diodes be more reliable in the long run?

I have attached the datasheet of the F06C20 that I am talking about.
      Attached Files
      My gaming PC:

Comment

Your CPU has a TDP of 57.1w
        A normal HDD will draw ca 25w on spinup
        A DVD another 10w atleast

That gets us a bare minimum total of 92watts on +12v, not even counting the mainboard
        The 2x diodes are 6ah x 12v = 72w

And this; "I'm guessing when the two diodes in it get replaced with the proper part my power supply will be perfect."
        Was this a joke? If not I think you need to read the thread again, the PSU is still lacking in no particular order;
        Input filtering (A coil and x cap)
        PI coils on the secondary side

Stuff that is not good enough;
        It seems to have too weak primary diodes (they should atleast be rated 3ah each and be located above the PCB so they get cooling)
        The secondary side seems to have too little bulk capacitance, especially on +12v
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Yeah it was a joke, I do understand that my L&C power supply is far from perfection.

However, if the +12V line was overloaded, then why does the HDD work normally, the DVD/CD-RW combo drive works fine, and the system is stable in Windows?
          My gaming PC:

Comment

Because it is only under startup that the HDD draws so much current, once it's spinning that value goes down to like 10w
            And same for the DVD, only when it's spinning

And you probably aren't loading the CPU 100% all the time either
            But believe me, one time when you power up that system something is gonna fail in that PSU, and when it does it will more than likely kill everything in the computer aswell

It is also well known that harddrives are very sensitive to fluctuating +12v, so the HDD may die a premature death even if the PSU still continues to deliver current

EDIT; And the biggest reason you don't use a crap PSU is that a good one is not very expensive anyway
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151059
            Last edited by Per Hansson; 07-29-2009, 01:00 PM.
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

If I replace the two combined diodes on the 12V rail with a 20A 200V power rectifier as said earlier by linuxguru, would that improve the amount of current that my L&C power supply can deliver on the 12V rail, even by a little?
              My gaming PC:

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2
                If I replace the two combined diodes on the 12V rail with a 20A 200V power rectifier as said earlier by linuxguru, would that improve the amount of current that my L&C power supply can deliver on the 12V rail, even by a little?
                depends on what the rest of the unit can take without going bang!
                which means not much.
                i would not use it on any hardware i cared about.

Comment

Yes, a rectifier will improve the 12v. How much depends on the other components, though. The main transformer probably won't allow more than 15A on the 12v, if even that much (more like 10A). Still, a proper rectifier will generate less heat since it's more efficient than regular diodes.
                  But if you are really going to use this PSU, I strongly suggest you add PI coils and bigger capacitors on the 12v rail. As Per Hansson mentioned, your hard drive might fail prematurely if there's too much ripple on the 12v rail.

Comment

My L&C 450W power supply has been removed from use until the two diodes are replaced by a proper power rectifier. The power supply that is currently substituting it is an Enermax EG301P-VE 300W power supply that I had in my closet.

There only is one capacitor on the +12V rail of the L&C power supply, C27, a 1000uf 16V capacitor. I currently have a Panasonic 1000uf 16V FC series 10mm capacitor in there. It's a tight fit in that spot, so if I can find a higher capacitance good capacitor of the same diameter and height then I'll use it.
                    My gaming PC:

Comment

Well the only higher capacitance capacitor I can find on Digikey in the 10mm diameter is 1500uf, I'm looking at a 10x30mm (slightly taller than the 1000uf 16V capacitor I have) 1500uf 16V Panasonic FC series capacitor. Would 1500uf be good enough?
                      My gaming PC:

Comment

why not just use the enermax, 603454243 times better than that L&C will ever be.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
                          why not just use the enermax, 603454243 times better than that L&C will ever be.
                          I understand that the Enermax power supply greatly exceeds the L&C power supply in quality, but I want to have a power supply to experiment with, and if the L&C dies during an experiment it wouldn't be a great loss as a valuable power supply would.
                          My gaming PC:

Comment

but killing a system because you chose a shitty power supply wont help you either
                            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Look for a 1500uf/16V/10mm LXZ or a 1800uF/16V/10mm Panasonic FJ. The latter is better if you can find it. It some situations, you can squeeze in a 12.5mm cap for the 12V rail if you leave a few mm of lead length above the PCB - there are numerous choices of good caps with 12.5mm dia.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                                but killing a system because you chose a shitty power supply wont help you either
                                This Celeron 2.2GHz system I have is a very obsolete computer anyway so if in the worst case scenario that the L&C fails and takes the computer with it, for me it wouldn't feel like a big loss.

Originally posted by linuxguru
                                Look for a 1500uf/16V/10mm LXZ or a 1800uF/16V/10mm Panasonic FJ. The latter is better if you can find it. It some situations, you can squeeze in a 12.5mm cap for the 12V rail if you leave a few mm of lead length above the PCB - there are numerous choices of good caps with 12.5mm dia.
                                I'm looking at a 2200uF/16V/12.5x25mm Panasonic FM capacitor from Digikey now, how much of an improvement will that be for the 12V rail?
                                My gaming PC:

Comment

Originally posted by linuxguru
                                  see tc or big pope- tc carries that size in samxon and therefore pope supplies it.
                                  Last edited by ratdude747; 07-30-2009, 10:23 AM.
                                  sigpic

Comment

quote- This Celeron 2.2GHz system I have is a very obsolete computer anyway so if in the worst case scenario that the L&C fails and takes the computer with it, for me it wouldn't feel like a big loss.

almost nicer than my best machine. my best is a p4 Prescott 630 3.0ghz... i'd save it... it could come to bite you south of the border...

it is not obsolete... you could run ubuntu on it easy. besides, keep your eyes open you may stumble upon a better cpu for the set...
                                    Last edited by ratdude747; 07-30-2009, 10:22 AM.
                                    sigpic

Comment

I added an X capacitor to my L&C power supply

I got this X capacitor out of a power supply that I don't use anymore. Will this slightly improve the primary input side?

Once I get more soldering wick I'll desolder the ferrite coil from that old power supply and put it in my L&C power supply.
                                      My gaming PC:

Comment

Originally posted by momaka
                                        So once you replace the 12v diodes with a proper rectifier, make sure to add some PI coils as well.
                                        What PI coils should I use? What ratings?
                                        My gaming PC:

Comment

If you have other junk power supplies, just look at what they have and find similar PI coils. From what I've seen on a few better-built L&C power supplies, 0.8uH to 1uH is what they use for the 5v and 3.3v rails (more uH wouldn't hurt either, but the coil becomes bigger with increasing uH). As for the 12v PI coil, those are usually bigger than the 5v and 3.3v in most power supplies, so I guess 2uH or more should be used.

You can re-use PI coils from other junk PSUs if you want or you can buy new coils (but make sure they can handle the current for their intended rail). Also, member etnietering pointed out in another thread that Coilcraft PCH has free samples. Here's the thread:
                                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...3&page=2&pp=20
                                          If you really run out of options, you can also make your own with thick copper wire. Won't be as efficient since it will be a core-less PI coil, but better than jumper wire.

I'm looking at a 2200uF/16V/12.5x25mm Panasonic FM capacitor from Digikey now, how much of an improvement will that be for the 12V rail?
                                          The 2200uF Panasonic FM should cover the minimums, but since you're squeezing in a 12.5mm cap, why not even try a 3300uF? Also, I think Samxon RS(?) offers a 3300uF cap with 10mm dia. Ask TopCat.
                                          The extra bulk capacitance should give less voltage fluctuation and better regulation. Good for your hard drive(s).

I got this X capacitor out of a power supply that I don't use anymore.
                                          If you have another PSU that you don't use anymore, why not use that instead of the L&C? Or if it's an AT PSU that you don't need, rip it for its guts and put them in the L&C. That X cap is already an improvement. Just add the filtering coil and a proper bridge rectifier (or 3A diodes, but make them stand vertically).
                                          Last edited by momaka; 07-30-2009, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X