Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NOX Krypton 800W - Higher voltages, need recap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOX Krypton 800W - Higher voltages, need recap?

Hello everyone!

This is my first "real post" on there and... well, I have always been the one who is actually helping someone else (not on this board, mostly for SW development), so.. lol, now that I'm asking for help, it feels somehow strange :P :P

Well, coming to the real thing, here's the problem!

I've got a NOX Krypton 800W PSU and I've been reading dozens of pages in this section to acquire some informations and actually get some real culture on that topic.
    So, while reading the threads, I've seen an interesting message by an user that did post some photos of a PSU that actually looks REALLY similar to my NOX Krypton PSU.

That user's photos were showing some PSU of which I don't remember the name, but I'm sure it was some girly name (with a logo like a pink butterfly)...
    ...and after that, another user said it was named somehow else in USA.

Let's get out of the whole crappy confusion. I know which one is it in the USA, and it isn't the NOX one. Also it uses different connectors for the modular cables - and that's really not important - and there isn't any 800W unit of that similar USA product.

Here's what I'm talking about:
    NOX Krypton 800W (mine - sorry, this is the 1000W version) -> HERE
    KingWin Mach 1 -> HERE

Erm, sorry for the arabic on the NOX link (really, I can't find anything in english or my native language).
    Anyway, if you look at the disassembed units, it really looks like the very same PSU, just rebranded and that's it.

The problem is...
    ...that this unit has been running since 2009/2010 in my PC(s), especially when I've had the AMD system (Phenom II X6, OC'ed to 5.2GHz daily) I've REALLY used the most of that PSU. Looked like wonderful. ALWAYS. Every-single-day.
    Now, the voltages are looking BAD.

I don't know how much time ago it started to be in this state... btw, it's strange. I've already seen things like those on other people's PCs, but they were using 20 euros PSUs.. and anyway, I usually see PSUs LOSING voltage (meaning erogating less than 12V on the 12V rail, less than 5V on the 5V rail, less than 3.3 on the 3.3 rail).
    Fact is, my PSU started to give HIGHER VOLTAGES instead of lower, so... do I need to recap it?!?

Phew, I was almost forgetting. I've opened my PSU and I found some CapXon capacitors, some other CE-TUR and just one (or two?) VENT.
    On the primary it has got a Nippon ChemiCon cap (YAY good!), I can read it's 400v 390uF, and the code is "99MN3M", so I think it's just fine.

I've verified the voltages with a digital multimeter, and I've detected EXACTLY (or well, 0.01V tolerance) the same my mainboard is detecting (just saying, ASUS ROG Maximus VII Ranger).. and I can remember it wasn't like that.

Here's what I'm detecting:
    +12V - 12.288V (rarely 12.3)
    +5V - 5.20V (rarely 5.25)
    +3.3V - 3.456V

Now, I know that the ATX spec gives a +/-5% tolerance over voltages and 12V looks fine (even if at the beginning it was giving 12.10V).
    What looks bad IMHO are 5V and 3.3V: calculating a +5%, I'm really REALLY near to the out-of-spec situation.

I actually don't know if I should really recap because, repeating, I've always recapped PSUs that were giving lower voltages.
    Anyway, just for the sake of science, I've actually ordered Panasonic FR caps (and one Nichicon solid cap, because I couldn't find that pana).

Oh, visually, the caps are looking fine!

So... what should I do?
    To recap or not to recap. This is the question. :P

EDIT: I'm actually writing from my PC powered by that NOX PSU!
    Last edited by kholk; 07-08-2014, 01:45 PM.

Re: NOX Krypton 800W - Higher voltages, need recap?

I suggest you post good clear pictures of the inside of YOUR psu and post them using
    manage attachments. Many members will not open offsite links and images.
    Its also best to know exactly what we are dealing with. Experienced psu members will
    be able to tell you if its like/same as others.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Well, I've got some pictures but those are not clear at all... I mean, I took the pictures to remember some capacitors (the gave up and went with my eyes and the old pen-and-paper way).

I can upload the ones I have on my phone, but I can't make new ones because this is my only PSU and I'm really using my PC every second here. Programming, you know.
      Give me 5 minutes :°)

EDIT: Ouch. Photos are too large (20MP - 7MB each).. Uploading to my webspace..

EDIT 2:
      Here they are:

And don't ask me why the images are rotated. Those are fine when I open 'em on both PC and phone. lol.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Per Hansson; 07-08-2014, 04:58 PM. Reason: Offsite images resized, rotated & uploaded to Badcaps.

Comment

re-cap it,
        more importantly, get rid of all the brown glue.

FR would be nice, but i doubt you can use just FR.
        often you cant get FR in the right size and have to use FK.

Comment

Thanks youve just about killed my laptop - the picture size limits are there for a purpose. suppose you never thought to re size them?
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

@selldoor
            Actually I wanted to. Fact is, my Photoshop evaluation just expired, so........ heh.
            Btw, killing a laptop with a few 20MPx images is overkill, lol... anyway, sorry for that.

@stj
            Well, you're absolutely right. Infact, the Panasonic FR caps that I've ordered are slightly bigger. I tried to order more taller ones than fatter ones... but I don't see where's the problem in that.

I mean, it's still going to fit in there. Or is there anything else I'm ignoring?
            Also, there's another thing I've read about the thing that low-ESR caps may not be good in PSUs. I haven't measured those original caps' ESR.

The Panasonic FR series are low-ESR caps, but well, when I ordered those I was mostly watching at the lifetime... while the ESR thing doubt came just some hours after paying for the order (and they had already shipped the caps... so nothing to do about it).

So, what about the ESR?
            I'm really worried about getting a stable and clean signal out of the PSU because I usually do hardcore OC'ing for fun and then my system is usually overclocked at its (stable) limits daily.

Comment

35MB worth of pictures resized down to 3MB
              Seriously, 20.7 megapixels???
              Sony Xperia Z1, I'll just quote this because it's so damn funny:

The world's highest resolution** camera in an Android smartphone

A camera as intelligent as the human eye

Sharper. Clearer. Brighter.
              That's what Sony's compact digital cameras give you. And with Xperia Z1, we have created a great camera phone built with the very same components, packaged into a 8.5 mm slim smartphone. It combines a large 1/2.3” 20.7 MP Exmor RS™ for mobile image sensor, Sony's award-winning G Lens and intelligent BIONZ™ for mobile image processing engine. This unique combination gives you images that are delivered with a superior sharpness, clarity and brightness – always.
              http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/product...atures/#camera

And here are the original pictures if anyone else wants a laugh:

http://www.eternityproject.eu/hotlink-ok/DSC_0091.JPG
              http://www.eternityproject.eu/hotlink-ok/DSC_0093.JPG
              http://www.eternityproject.eu/hotlink-ok/DSC_0094.JPG
              http://www.eternityproject.eu/hotlink-ok/DSC_0095.JPG
              http://www.eternityproject.eu/hotlink-ok/DSC_0101.JPG
              http://www.eternityproject.eu/hotlink-ok/DSC_0103.JPG

Btw, this is free and works well for resizing photos:
              http://www.techspot.com/downloads/299-irfanview.html
              Last edited by Per Hansson; 07-08-2014, 05:00 PM.
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Yeah, many thanks for resizing the images for me... and thanks for remembering me about irfanview.. I used to use GIMP in those cases, but I haven't got it right now (waiting for my photoshop license to get activated).

/*** OT reply warning ***
                About the quality of the pictures I've posted and the laugh on the Xperia Z1... no, well, you aren't totally right. I'm using an internal testing release, in which we are trying to get 4K recording, so the camera libraries are somehow fucked up (unofficial).
                If you take a look to some hi-res 20.7MP photos at normal lighting conditions.. heh, those'll be excellent photos.
                Anyway, obviously, the advertising is always a little exaggerated, you know that.
                *** OT END ***/
                Last edited by kholk; 07-08-2014, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kholk View Post
                  @selldoor
                  Actually I wanted to. Fact is, my Photoshop evaluation just expired, so........ heh.
                  Btw, killing a laptop with a few 20MPx images is overkill, lol... anyway, sorry for that.

lame excuse.

grab this.
                  http://www.gimp.org/

Comment

that thing looks familiar.
                    btw a butterfly logo would be super flower.

Comment

@stj
                      Well, I'd say lazy more than lame.

@kc8adu
                      Oh yeah! That's it! I couldn't remember "Super Flower" :P

Comment

-- Sorry for the double post, I wanted to edit the previous one but seems I can't (90mins expired) --

Btw, my new caps should be delivered today.
                        From what I know, I should only replace the >100uF... but well, I bought everything I could find, so I'm going to also replace the 22, 68 and 47uf caps. The 22uf one is 50V, it should be on the primary circuit, but well.. from what I've read on this community, CapXon is total crap.
                        What makes me somehow both happy and sad is that I've actually got a solid cap (470uf 16V) on there and I'm going to replace it with a normal electrolytic Panasonic FR cap.
                        Instead, the 22uF I've ordered are solid caps Nichicon LV PLV1J220MCL1, with low-but-not-really-low ESR.

What I REALLY can't find is that 400V 390uF capacitor. I mean, I can find packs of 10 to 1000 of 'em, or otherwise I can only find CRAP.. I really don't know where can I buy one of these, but well.. I really HOPE that my current cap is still perfectly good. I've heard that those high voltage caps are hard to die.

I've also seen that some people are replacing those primary caps with higher capacitance ones. I'm curious... what's the reason for doing this?

P.S.: Posting good photos after recapping (got my photoshop license, yay!)

Comment

From what I know, I should only replace the >100uF... but well, I bought everything I could find, so I'm going to also replace the 22, 68 and 47uf caps.
                          You should always replace the small caps in powersupplies, many times they are critical for it's operation.
                          And if they go out of specification the 5vsb can, depending on it's design go high and kill the mainboard!

What makes me somehow both happy and sad is that I've actually got a solid cap (470uf 16V) on there and I'm going to replace it with a normal electrolytic Panasonic FR cap.
                          What brand & model is the original capacitor?
                          Maybe you don't need to replace it if it's a good brand...
                          If you have an ESR meter you can measure it to see if it's still ok... (Out of circuit)

What I REALLY can't find is that 400V 390uF capacitor. I mean, I can find packs of 10 to 1000 of 'em, or otherwise I can only find CRAP.. I really don't know where can I buy one of these, but well.. I really HOPE that my current cap is still perfectly good. I've heard that those high voltage caps are hard to die.
                          The primary cap is probably fine, as you wrote in your first post.
                          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I don't know which brand is it.
                            The solid cap I'm talking about is visible for half in the third photo, you can see that there's some sort of logo (is it a logo? lol) but I can't really recognize it.
                            Apart from the obvious basic specs, I can read a code on the capacitor: "C01A" (or CO1A)... I tried to google it (really fast) but I can't really get a good search result.

I'm trying to search a bit better right now. I'll let you know if I will be able to find it or not.. :°)

Ah! Unfortunately, I haven't got any ESR meter here. Just a normal multimeter.

EDIT: No, really, it's impossible to find it on Google.
                            Last edited by kholk; 07-09-2014, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Looks like its a 16v 470uf what do you think Per
                              Attached Files

Comment

I can't see the logo enough, would need a better photo showing the whole capacitor.
                                kholk: here is a great site for identifying solid capacitors: http://capacitor.web.fc2.com/solidcapacitor.html

Comment

Been there heheh
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Oh, I forgot to say that, yes, it's a 16V 470uF capacitor... I've already taken the cap values (that was pretty obvious since I ordered the new ones).

So it is a Nippon ChemiCon capacitor? That sounds really good!
                                    I paid a lot of money for that PSU when I bought it years ago.. though, this is just one of the two good caps in there. The other good one (also nippon chemicon) is the 400V cap.

Hmm.. well, I've already ordered a Panasonic FR replacement for it that, obviously, isn't a solid cap. What do you think, should I replace that too or not?

That PSU has been operative for at least 4 years and sometimes I've left the PC running overnight (let's say, 25% of the PSU usage was 24/7, on a system drawing ~300-350W constantly).
                                    Also, there have been lots of peaks in wattage consuption, as compiling the whole Linux userspace and Android are actually maxing the power consumption of a system (heavy usage of CPU, RAM and HDDs, so also chipset drawing max current.)

EDIT: YAY Maybe I've found it. It should be a NPCAP PSC series. The image from the datasheet looks like it.
                                    Here's the boy:
                                    Last edited by kholk; 07-09-2014, 05:46 AM.

Comment

You can't just replace a capacitor in a PSU with something that does not have similar ratings.
                                      If you do you will cause more ripple than what you have now.

Leave the solid capacitor unless you can find out via the links provided that your replacement has the same ESR & ripple current.

Comment

Oh, CRAP I'd say.
                                        Just seen that the Panasonic FR replacement (fuck, wasted money) has got an higher ESR.

ChemiCon -> 10mOhm ESR, 6,100 mA rms
                                        Panasonic -> 41mOhm ESR, "1240" mA rms

Now, what about that comma on the ChemiCon sheet?
                                        Should I interpret it as comma or as number separator? :\
                                        Last edited by kholk; 07-09-2014, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X