Weird PSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird PSU

i recently purchased some 2nd hand psu from local surplus store in our area and i cant seem to trust if these psu performs any good

psu brand is powerstation2 ps2-450

internal number is mtp5002
    anyone can tell me where to find any datasheet or information about this psu i tried google but i cant find good information or perhaps some experts are already familiar with this psu

im using it now and system is stable only one thing i noticed system now runs hotter than before

my main concerns is maybe this psu is not really 450 watts at all or its very low efficiency making high heat buildup in my computer case

all caps are fuhjyyu? i maybe misspelled it

sorry for some weird question i find this forum a good place to ask im afraid this psu may go BOOM and killing other parts
    Last edited by jescolta; 06-05-2013, 11:38 PM. Reason: more information

Re: Weird PSU

Uh oh. Fuhjyuu?! Not a good sign but pictures with some model numbers of the primary and secondary silicon would be great and would give us a good idea

Comment

Pictures of the internals would help alot.
      I can put text here?!

Comment

its casing macron mtp-5002
        anyone can recommend a good place to upload images which they wont re-size the images other image host makes blurry images

Comment

Macron makes good PSU's minus caps. So it would probably be good with new caps. Use the attach function when posting, you may have to click "Go Advanced" their size will be good enough

Comment

here is one image i managed to upload
            Attached Files

Comment

Doesn't look horrible. That could do at least 300W, maybe higher than 350W (Would need to know the specs of the silicon though) Probably isn't that efficient, even on 230V but I don't think that should be much of an issue. The biggest issue is those Fuhjyyu caps, they are extremely unreliable, and die faster with more heat. I would replace them if you can.

Comment

the caps are really the problem for me im living in a place where the air temperature can go 37 this psu wont last longer then , the seller where i brought this psu also have 400 watt delta psu but i dont know if they could handle my system

q9300
                p5q motherboard
                2x hdd
                and HD3870 card

Comment

A 400W Delta will beat a "450W" no-name hands-down, any day

(Both performance-wise, AND reliability-wise )
                  Last edited by Khron; 06-06-2013, 02:34 AM.
                  Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

Yeah use the Delta, it can handle that...It will be designed better in general, and have batter caps (Probably Ltec, maybe Taicon, hopefully not CapXon) that 3870 pulls a lot of power. I imagine the ESR in the Fuhjyyu cap on the 12V rail is already rising and it will probably bulge first. How old is it though? I think this one is worth recapping, it has a good sized transformer and nice heatsinks. Can you list some of the silicon's specs?
                    Last edited by Pentium4; 06-06-2013, 02:47 AM.

Comment

A decent 400 Watter will easily handle that PC. Chances are, that Delta will be a more modern, more efficient design, so it will probably run a little cooler than this one.

The part number for your PSU suggests it's a Casing Macron. The design looks capable of 450W, but it will depend on the silicon. I would definitely recap it, though, and stick a 2200uF cap in that blank spot.
                      Last edited by c_hegge; 06-06-2013, 05:04 AM.
                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

who desoldered c33?
                        +3.3 will be noisey without it.
                        just replace all the fuhkkyu caps before using it.i would assume that c33 would be a 2200@6.3.maybe a 3300

Comment

That "mystery" P/S looks decent, other than the cap brands. Nice heavy metal (the heatsinks), the O/P transformer looks substantial, too. If that 8-pin DIP IC is the PWM, it's probably of the UC384X family, which is good. I could believe that capable of 350W-450W, but definitely get good caps in there, including the I/P lytics (and get 105C parts there, if possible). If you can match the impedances of the O/P caps using Nichicon PW or PA series parts, UCC LXZ series or Panasonic FC, that would be slightly preferable to Nichicon HE, UCC KZE, Panasonic FM or Rubycon ZL, given your warm climate. But if PW, PA, FC or LXZ have too high of impedances, then HE, KZE, FM or ZL are pretty robust.
                          Last edited by PeteS in CA; 06-06-2013, 07:09 AM. Reason: Forgot Panasonic
                          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

i removed c33 to take a closer since its different with the other caps same brand but with different label color (blue) , also the capacitor in 5v rail is also different its OST i guess this psu have previous capacitor failure in 5v and 3.3 v rails and been replaced. im using the psu right now and its working fine tested played heavy game (metro LL) for almost 3 hours and only a very little drop in 12v rail 11.988 to 11.877 my only concern right now is those caps that are replaced if they are in correct specs. also i really dont know where to find good caps in my area
                            i live in san carlos pangasinan Philippines

edit:
                            i will take pictures of the fets and rectifiers probably tommorow
                            and also i think the problem that contributed with the previous repair of this psu is that the fan spins so slow even in high load (heavy gaming) the fan still spins slow
                            Last edited by jescolta; 06-06-2013, 10:17 AM.

Comment

OST is better than Fuhjyyu, but they still aren't good. If they were all OST I'd feel a little better. But I still think Japanese capacitors are necessary for reliability in that heat

Comment

The bad thing about OST is that they go bad without bulging up. Does look like a good PSU, can you post a pic of the soldering side? I would like to see the soldering quality.
                                Last edited by DJduck; 06-17-2013, 04:20 AM.
                                I can put text here?!

Comment

OST tend to do that yeah....but anything is better than Fuhjyyu. Yes more pics are welcome

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                                    just replace all the fuhkkyu caps before using it.

always fun to see what you can do with those odd chinese names, isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                                    X