X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: thermaltake tr2 430w

Originally posted by momaka
    Not sure what you mean here.
    Most electrolytic capacitors specify a +/-20% tolerance for their capacitance. It doesn't matter whether you're designing an LC filter circuit or not - you still have to take into account that if you're using electrolytic capacitors, their capacitance may vary up to +/-20%.
    You said that ripple might augment if you increase the capacitance of the secondary capacitors too much... is it the same for the primary capacitors?

Also, if the output capacitor's capacitance doesn't determine the power the secondary can output... how is it that it does for the primary (needing a certain uF rating to achieve a certain maximum power output)? ^^;
    Last edited by Wester547; 10-08-2012, 11:36 PM.

Comment

I just got one of these PSUs in to repair. It has two bad caps and a rather "well-done" torroid coil.
      Attached Files
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Had the fan stopped ?

Will you rewind a new toroid, or just swap one from another psu ?

Comment

The fans are fine, so IDK why the coil burned up. As for a new coil, I'll just scavenge one from another PSU. I have a dead Besta PT-550 which I blew up on the tester. The coil looks about the same size, so I'll try it.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
            The fans are fine, so IDK why the coil burned up. As for a new coil, I'll just scavenge one from another PSU. I have a dead Besta PT-550 which I blew up on the tester. The coil looks about the same size, so I'll try it.
            Possibly they messed up on the core material.
            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

does all that look normal or are there some under voltages?
              Attached Files
              My Computer.
              AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
              Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
              Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
              500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
              1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
              2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

I just got a Thermaltake model TP-1500AH5CES, looks very clean but unknown condition. If I remove my Bestec ATX-250 12E, which is powering the computer just fine, and put this Thermaltake in its place, will it power the computer without causing problems for the motherboard or power supply?
                Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Originally posted by everell View Post
                  I just got a Thermaltake model TP-1500AH5CES, looks very clean but unknown condition. If I remove my Bestec ATX-250 12E, which is powering the computer just fine, and put this Thermaltake in its place, will it power the computer without causing problems for the motherboard or power supply?
                  what does it look like on the inside?
                  My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

Too late tonight to take it apart and have a picture taking session. Am on my way to bed so I can get up early tomorrow morning. Will post some pictures a little later. Sure is a heavy thing!
                    Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Too late tonight to take it apart and have a picture taking session. Am on my way to bed so I can get up early tomorrow morning. Will post some pictures a little later. Sure is a heavy thing!
                      good night
                      My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                        You said that ripple might augment if you increase the capacitance of the secondary capacitors too much... is it the same for the primary capacitors?
                        No, the ripple on the outputs of the secondary might increase if the ESR (not the capacitance) is increased or descreased too much from the original. Increasing the capacitance will, *in most cases*, decrease the ripple and improve voltage stability.

The primary is a whole different story. There, the primary capacitors are used more as "energy storage units" rather than as noise/ripple suppressors.
                        This actually foreshadows the answer of your next question.

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                        Also, if the output capacitor's capacitance doesn't determine the power the secondary can output... how is it that it does for the primary (needing a certain uF rating to achieve a certain maximum power output)? ^^;
                        Like I mentioned above, the primary caps store energy so that there is a fairly constant high voltage source available for the switching transistors to "chop" and "feed" to the transformer. If the primary caps are too small and the transistors start to "demand" to "use" more energy than what the primary caps can supply, they will only be able to do so when the AC line voltage is near its peaks. If this continues further, you will start seeing 50/60 Hz noise on the outputs. At that point, the efficiency usually drops quite a bit.
                        So ensuring that your PSU has big enough primary caps is important.

Originally posted by c_hegge
                        The fans are fine, so IDK why the coil burned up.
                        Failed caps or heavy cross-loading perhaps??

Originally posted by Phaihn
                        does all that look normal or are there some under voltages?
                        Motherboard voltage sensors are usually not very accurate. I never take them seriously and always check the voltages by myself with a multimeter.
                        Last edited by momaka; 10-10-2012, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                          No, the ripple on the outputs of the secondary might increase if the ESR (not the capacitance) is increased or descreased too much from the original. Increasing the capacitance will, *in most cases*, decrease the ripple and improve voltage stability.

The primary is a whole different story. There, the primary capacitors are used more as "energy storage units" rather than as noise/ripple suppressors.
                          This actually foreshadows the answer of your next question.

Like I mentioned above, the primary caps store energy so that there is a fairly constant high voltage source available for the switching transistors to "chop" and "feed" to the transformer. If the primary caps are too small and the transistors start to "demand" to "use" more energy than what the primary caps can supply, they will only be able to do so when the AC line voltage is near its peaks. If this continues further, you will start seeing 50/60 Hz noise on the outputs. At that point, the efficiency usually drops quite a bit.
                          So ensuring that your PSU has big enough primary caps is important.

Failed caps or heavy cross-loading perhaps??

Motherboard voltage sensors are usually not very accurate. I never take them seriously and always check the voltages by myself with a multimeter.
                          i dont have a multimeter yet amongst other tools i need.
                          My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

Originally posted by Phaihn View Post
                            i dont have a multimeter yet amongst other tools i need.
                            You NEED to buy a multimeter if you are going to do stuff like this.

Comment

Here are some pictures I took tonight. This thing has more cables coming out of it than an octopus!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                                You NEED to buy a multimeter if you are going to do stuff like this.
                                how much do they cost?
                                My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

Here are some pictures I took tonight. This thing has more cables coming out of it than an octopus!
                                  looks like a decent psu. is that a short psu looks smaller then most for some reason.
                                  My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

how much do they cost?
                                    Anywhere between $20 and $1000, depending on what features it has and how acurate it is. Anything can be used to test for shorts, but if you want more accurate voltage readings, then go for something around the $80 mark. I use an ISO-Tech IDM-61, and it does the job nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                      Anywhere between $20 and $1000, depending on what features it has and how acurate it is. Anything can be used to test for shorts, but if you want more accurate voltage readings, then go for something around the $80 mark. I use an ISO-Tech IDM-61, and it does the job nicely.
                                      more then i can afford to spend atm.
                                      My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

how much do they cost?
                                        retiredcaps will probably hate me for saying this, but you can get a cheap 830 variant on ebay, usually around $5 with free shipping. Those cheap 830 multimeters are a little sketchy, but for resistance and low voltage measurements, they would be fine. If you're more serious about electronics, then definitely get something better - preferably auto-ranging (saves a lot of time).

Comment

See if you can borrow a multimeter from a friend first before buying which is what I did.
                                          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                          X