Best power supply you've had

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best power supply you've had

Best built per capacity would probably go to a Lite-On 300W server supply built for Compaq or HP (I forget which), though Delta's server supplies are pretty good too.

Even so, most computer PSU look like junk when compared to industrial supplies and you can't directly compare those since the current and rails supported can vary widely.

Comment

That would be my Supermicro/Ablecom PWS-0056 (bought after recommendations from here) and my current Zippy GSM-6600P.
      Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
      Zippy GSM-6600P
      Curcial Ballistix PC6400 (4 x 1Gb) Micron D9GMH
      Abit IP35Pro
      ATi HD4870

Comment

Originally posted by stretch0069
        Back when I was having problems with my VP6, and got thrown into the whole badcaps thing, along with replacing the badcaps, I also replaced the stock PSU with an Antec TruPower 430. That was about Nov of 1999??? That damned thing has been running 24/7 (except for a couple moves) ever since. I am just now noticing a whine in the fan, but considering the dusty conditions its been exposed to, I'm suprised its lasted this long. So, when I get my butt moving, I will replace the fan and any bulging caps and watch it run another 6 years.
        There is no way you had a Antec TruPower 430 or a Abit VP6 in 1999. Try 2001.

Comment

It could have been an i440BX-based BP6 in 1999, though - and that was in some ways better than the VP6.
          Last edited by linuxguru; 10-29-2006, 12:06 AM. Reason: removed hyphenation

Comment

Smartpower SL350

4 years and PC is ALWAYS on not a Gaming PC
            MSI RS482M4-ILD Socket 939 ATI Radeon XPRESS 200
            AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2.0GHz Socket 939
            2 DVDR's
            Scsi Card
            Scsi 18G HDD
            1 120Cic SATA
            1 250Gig ATA150
            TV Card
            SB Live Card
            Zip 150

It has a Good Load on it Still running Smooth...

Comment

I have yet to have problems with the PSU on any of my computers. They are all just ramdomly pulled from the heap and as long as they work and they are in good shape, they go to use. Yes, I admit it is like playing russian roulette with your system .
              Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

Best PSU? well I'm still using an old Seasonic 200w AT powersupply on my Linux firewall/router, it'd have to be the oldest longest functioning PSU I've ever seen
                Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Tagan 480w 28Amp single rail. But I've only had a few PSU so far, lots of generics which worked fine up until I started using 2000Mhz+ CPU's in conjunction with high end graphic cards - Geforce 6800 - Ati 9800XT etc. I've tried dual rail 680w Globalwin and a few Antecs but they all had problems when pushed to the limit over many months of usage. The thing about the Tagan I like the most is the screened lead you get with it, it's like the manufacturer actually have some understanding of electronics. It's also the quietest part of my PC, verging on worryingly quiet.

On a side note the PSU's I've had seem to dislike is having lots (more than 5 80mm/92/120mm) of cheap unbranded fans. Maybe very badly made fans can cause electrical problems on 12v rails? I imagine this makes sense.
                  Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

This Etasis-built Silverstone ST75ZF (as recommended by our good Jonnyguru!) is definitely proving its worth. While more expensive than your standard "k3wl gamerz" PSU, just taking a look at its internal design and component choice is enough to convince one that it's in a league of its own.

Obviously, if one looks back to the (early) 90s, deciding on a "best" PSU, in terms of reliability becomes somewhat more difficult. My impression, from memory, (although I don't have any stats to confirm this) is that PSU failures were less common back then, on such machines as 80386/486 PCs. But even if this were the case, would it be an indication of superior PSU quality back in the day, or merely a result of those machines' far lower current draw?

Comment

The prices were higher and quality too.
                      Everything (almost) is cheap now because it's crap.

Comment

My best PSU, as another has stated, is a 235W InWin Powerman in the original ATX configuration. Came in the great A500 midtower from circa 1996. The fan was worn out after original owner sold it to me. I replaced it with a sankyo denki fan out of an IBM AT psu. I reversed the airflow to conventional type. It has ran flawlessly til retired last month. Survived numerous electric grid problems which blew out newer psu's.
                        But the name didn't guaranty another reliable PSU. The 250W variable-speed fan Powerman from my Inwin S500 case was discovered with bad caps! Lucky I don't think it damaged any of my motherboards. Very disappointing and now I'm wary of the remaining Inwin Powermans (145W) that are running.

Also have a Sparkle 230W, glad to read this is a reliable manufacturer.
                        Most recent units are a Thermaltake TP 350W, which I'm now leery of after the threads I've read about their units. And a MadDog 350W which looks pretty well made. Anyone knows who makes these for MadDog?
                        Last edited by WNG; 11-18-2006, 03:18 PM.
                        “We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
                        We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

Comment

Although the system it was in just died today (which I believe to be caused by something else) after a 3 year lifetime, my 430watt Antec has been very reliable. My system had probably 95% uptime, so it's gotten a lot of use and has never given me grief.

Though I don't usually, going with a name brand product has been a good decision in this case.

Comment

has to be any enermax i have/had. top notch. no idea about caps,but they never failed me

Comment

Working...
                            X