X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: imac G5 Celetronix P/N :614-0363

Black to Grey = 12v, yes?
    Black to Brown = ?

Jumping Black to Brown without being connected to motherboard should turn supply on.

If your getting 12v when jumpered but disconnected from motherboard, and nothing when hooked to motherboard, the problem is in the motherboard.
    veritas odium parit

Comment

If you take the pin that the shield wire is soldered to as pin1 & work left to right then:
      Pin1 is the -ve o/p of the bridge rectifier
      Pin2 is one of the AC input
      Pin3 is the other AC input
      Pin4 is the +ve o/p of the bridge

So if you put your meter across pins 1 & 4 you should have the DC rectified voltage of your mains supply (which in the UK would be about 350v DC).

12v across the Black & Grey seems right , however in my previous post i said i had 5 volt on the Brown to ground, i dont know where i got that figure from because when i measured again i get zilch out of the Brown. I am also getting zilch out of the Black & Grey. So either my supply just is'nt turned on or there's a fault somewhere.

Grounding the Brown did'nt turn on my supply & although its marked PG i read somewhere that it is actually an input where 3-6v dc supplied by a battery is used to switch it on. I tried that too by inputting 5v onto the brown & it still did'nt work.

Are you getting any 12v output when the PSU is off the motherboard & unjumpered ? & if so do you get anything on the Brown wire to ground at that time?

Graham

Comment

Placed the meter across 1&4 and received 155v. I am also getting nothing from black and grey, was getting 12v. I am getting nothing from the brown wire to ground. When disconnected from the motherboard I don't check the rectifier and wires and all is at zero

Comment

Hmm, tricky little critter aint it

Well i would say the 155 v is probably correct, we use 220v.ac over here in the UK which after rectification gives us over 300v.D.C

Until i find out what the PG pin really does there's not much more i can add, i'm hampered by not having an Isight in front of me, just a faulty PSU.

It would be interesting & useful if you could measure for a DC voltage on the motherboard pin that the Brown wire on the PSU connects to while the PSU is disconnected (relative to gnd of course). I read somewhere that this pin supplies between 3 & 6 volts from a battery (why i dont know) , but thats what it said.

Actually just found the page, it's:

http://pinouts.radio-electronics.co/page/23/

about halfway down the page.

Graham

Comment

From what I've read, this is an internal 3.6v lithium battery that "should be replaced only by an Apple Authorized Service Provider".

So, try applying around 3v from some batteries {AAA, AA, C, D} with negative connected to the black wires and positive to the brown wire. May just need a brief contact to the brown wire and it will latch on.

veritas odium parit

Comment

@Toasty, as per my post 12 i tried that alrady but no joy, of course my PSU is probably still has a fault on it which is why i would be interested in ub6ib969 trying it & also measuring the pins on the motherboard the PG connects to.

It could be that on his, the on board battery is dead, in which case the PSU is'nt turning on.

@ub6ib969 , can you try pulsing the Brown wire with a low voltage battery as above ?

Graham

Comment

In my post above, "as per my post 12 " should read "as per my post 22"

Graham

Comment

@ub6ib969, have you dumped this PSU now or have you made any progress.

Comment

Originally posted by nogger View Post
                    Are you getting any 12v output when the PSU is off the motherboard & unjumpered ? & if so do you get anything on the Brown wire to ground at that time?
                    I am getting 12V between the grey and black with the PSU unhooked and unjumpered.

And 8.7V between brown and black.

Comment

Forgot to say: the PSU works occasionally.

The above values were taken when the imac would not start up.

The imac just entered a working phase and I tested the PSU again. Only difference: the voltage between brown and black went down to 5.6V, with occasion spikes (weird I know).

Comment

Jump the dang thing with a 12v source such as a "standard" ATX supply that doesn't need a load to turn on.

Also, on the socket -from- the computer/mobo, is there voltage present across brown-black?

The question has been is the brown-black voltage -generated- by the PSU or by the system or by a combination of the 2?

Last edited by Toasty; 08-31-2011, 09:01 AM.
                        veritas odium parit

Comment

Yeah, that's what I wanted to do, but I'm not sure how to get the MB to turn on the ATX supply.

Gimme a sec to check what's happening on the MB side.

Comment

As far as I can tell, nothing is coming from the MB side. There's seems to be no battery inside the mac other than the CMOS and I'd be extremely surprised if that is being used to start the PSU.

I suspect that the PSU is being activated in a similar way to an ATX PSU.

Comment

BTW, the imac in question is a 20" Intel Dual Core.

Comment

Then it must be a jumper (brown-black), or it's on -all-the time and the mobo switches on as needed. The pinout on the PSU only calls for 12v. Perhaps this (brown-black) is a "Power Good" signal -back- to the PSU?

ATX supplies are jumpered green to black for power on. I would just fire it up after connected and see what the system does. "Power Good" on ATX is the gray wire.

BTW: Still not finding "dead" ones on eBay. Too much money for experimenting just to satisfy curiosity. If you go for the replacement, get the Delta unit.

Last edited by Toasty; 08-31-2011, 09:27 AM.
                                veritas odium parit

Comment

I've bought a replacement 614-0363 from flea bay. Supposed to be in good working order. Still, I hate not knowing how things work so if there's anything you want me to test while this mac is in bits, then let me know

Comment

Sure it's a "real" 614-0363. Picture matched yours?

As I said, I would opt for the Delta units before a Celetronix.

I do not have one of these systems so I would not know what to ask to test. Find the battery perhaps?

veritas odium parit

Comment

I don't know much about them either Plus it's my father-in-law's mac, so I *really* don't want to fry it

The picture of it matched mine, so we'll see. No information about whether it is Delta or otherwise, so we'll see what turns up. Too late now, it's bought and paid for.

The price of new units is shocking. How can they justify that for such a simple PCB?

Comment

Any1 got any luck repairing one of these units?
                                        I got an celetronix app-22-lfm33, apple p/n 614-0363 that looks exactly the same as the unit mentioned at initial post.

It gives 0.2v out gray to black. 0.2v for brown to both gray and black. The unit also clicks alot.

This is what I've checked so far:
                                        Ac in: ok
                                        Fuse: ok
                                        Diod rek: ok, getting around 320 dc out
                                        The optocoppler at the end seems ok, but gonna have to soilder it off to make sure.
                                        The caps *looks* alright, no boulding tops.

Comment

Please fill out your profile so we may better assist you. Location & line voltage.

The information provided from the AcBel PSU thread on these units may not apply, but it's worth a look:

Across the mains cap @ standby = 166v, run = 385v {120v mains}

These units provide a constant 12vdc to the system. They sense the system being turned on and come up to full power once a load above 0.2 amperes is presented. A 194 automotive marker lamp works well. Below that they provide 12v, but the current is low and the 12v may appear to "wobble". {An analog meter will show this clearly}

The mysterious brown lead** is a shutdown lead that outputs to the system in the event of a PSU malfunction (Over Voltage). The signal is provided via the 5 pin SIP, M51957B IC on the top side of the board next to the output wires.

** The brown lead was thought to provide the turn on signal via the onboard battery to these units. I have now confirmed, this is not the case.

Toast
                                          veritas odium parit

Comment

Working...
                                          X