• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial

Originally posted by gonzo0815
    Pics from FSP350-60MDM.
    I/P caps are 2x 820uf 200v.
    O/P caps are all Teapo or ost, 2200uf and 3300uf.
    HS seems to be a bit flimsy, but all units are good and can handle the stated power without issue.
    Yeah.. well, that's like the FSP FX "SAGA" series they sell retail. Ok, but doesn't hold a candle to true FSP units.
    Rest in peace BFG. You were... a job...

Comment

The case is somehow other than most psu's, if 5 screws are unscrewed, you can slide the whole psu out of the case and have the bottom of the pcb handy for soldering.
      That's one of their standard case styles - I remember seeing cases like that back in 1999 or 2000, in an ATX-style unit for Apple, I think.
      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Mercury "400w" PSU

Pics of a 400w Mercury branded PSU - came with a (very) cheap case.

Main caps are purple/white with a "Y" planet logo, 330uF, 200v
        Secondaries are labelled "Su'scon 1000uF 10v".

Most of the PSU's weight comes from the "PFC 2000" unit attached to the top of the housing.
        Attached Files

Comment

Here's one of my PSUs - a SUNTEK PSU, made by Achme Corp. (Taiwan). Fuhjyuus everywhere, plus a couple of Teapos. One of the Fuhjyuus on the output section bulged, and caused the PC it was in to reboot constantly, never even getting past the POST!

I find it odd that one of the transformers is fixed to the PSU cover rather than to the motherboard. The unit emitted a 'hissing' sound when turned on, which seemed to be coming from the transformer.

PSU is now dead, the PC that had it has got a replacement 'Mercury' one. Now, how long before that goes?
          Attached Files
          You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

Now for a 'good' PSU - an HP Vectra 'propreitary' one. It's a different shape to a standard ATX PSU, to fit inside the Vectra's case. Although it uses an ATX connector to bring power to the motherboard, the pinout is different - enough to cause smoke if plugged into a different board!

Nippon Chemi-Con cap on the input section, United Chemi-Con LXF everywhere else. Someone went overboard with glue on the caps though! The PSU is also very 'compact', and that could lead to some overheat issues. The fan is almost touching the caps underneath! This PSU is currently powering a P166 machine, which I run BeOS on.
            Attached Files
            You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

"High Power" 300W PSU, currently powering the Windows ME (soon to be XP) machine.

Teapos on the input side, Teapo and G-Luxon on the output. Seems to be also a couple of Jenpos in there. This PSU also had an inductor screwed to the top cover, like the Suntek one.
              Attached Files

Comment

And yet another one - FSP PSU, found inside my P3 machine. "M" caps on the input side, Fuhjyuus on the output side. No bulging or venting as yet though.

Note that on this PSU, the fan was affixed to the top cover and sucked air from the vents on the back, exhausting it into the PC.

I also have a pic of one of the "M" logos, can anyone identify this cap?
                Attached Files

Comment

a-power "500w"
                  Attached Files

Comment

manhattan "500w"
                    Attached Files

Comment

OMG Bro! You know someone that bought one of those Manhattan PSU's?!?!? LOL!!!!

Just to let you guys know.... Oldsmar is the next town over from Town n' Country (my home on the outskirts of Tampa.) IC Intracom (Manhattan) is off the same road that I lived off of (Hillsborough Ave.) I've bought from them for 10 years... USB cables, tools, etc... but I have NEVER had the balls to buy one of their "Manhattan rebranded" PSU's.
                      Rest in peace BFG. You were... a job...

Comment

A company here and in Tampa was cranking out bussines systems all day long using a power supply that looked just like that last one.
                        They certainly didn't load it much but I think they had an eye on "forced" repeat customers, county, school, etc.
                        Jim

Comment

Had this thing for years. It's been reliable and use it to charge R/C batteries.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mutant
                            Had this thing for years. It's been reliable and use it to charge R/C batteries.
                            And you can see why - it was built to last, all caps either Rubycon or UCC.

When you have good quality hardware it should serve you for many years, barring the odd lemon.

Comment

500W for those two? For how many microseconds? The one with extruded heatsinks, 300W-350W; the one with the stamp-and-bend heatsinks, 200W-250W, and that may be optimistic, given the small discrete I/P rectifiers.
                              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                500W for those two? For how many microseconds? The one with extruded heatsinks, 300W-350W; the one with the stamp-and-bend heatsinks, 200W-250W, and that may be optimistic, given the small discrete I/P rectifiers.
                                Indeed. The "A-power" looks much like the cheapy 300W ATX-series fortrons I have, and the "manhattan" looks like one of those dreaded DEER units.

Comment

Looks like a solid ~150W P/S, mutant. Decent parts - Rubycon, UCC, Harris (IC) - built in the second half of 2000, probably August or July (fab date code on PCB).
                                  PeteS in CA

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                    the apower will burst into flames if you overload it.
                                    we took several out on the dock and did them.
                                    overload 3.3 or 5 and poof!
                                    we didnt execute tha manhattan as it is an evaluation sample from a distributer.
                                    both of these units are completely devoid of emi/rfi protection.hey jumper wires are cheap!

Comment

Don't use them during your neighbor's favorite soap opera.
                                      PeteS in CA

Comment

XBOX psu-Delta

FIRE! Not really, it just smelled and died. Good thing the board is not multi layer. BIG hole. Works better now.
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by Spacedye69; 08-04-2006, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Another gaming console PSU; this time from a PS2 (SCPH-5000x Europe - Delta model ADP-75JP C). 82uF 400V Nippon Chemi-Con KMH, two Taicon PW series on the primary side, 680uF 16V x4 LTEC LZG before primary inductor, 470uF 16V LTEC LZG after primary inductor. Nippon Chemi-Con KY series were a near exact match to the LTEC units.
                                          Attached Files
                                          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Working...
                                          X