Replacement caps for Antec SP-450?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Replacement caps for Antec SP-450?

I have -this- PSU that I recapped, so if you have a problem sourcing a cap just say so.

I had to split the order between Mouser and Digikey at the time. Now it might be fully doable from Mouser.

Q

Comment

For 4&5mm 50v caps under 10uF I get Panasonic KG from Digikey because they have better Ripple than most other options.

At 10uF the 50v KG hits 6.3mm and might be too big so from there up you need to shop a little.

Sometimes digikey is cheaper, sometimes Mouser.
      Just depends on what the order is.
      Sometimes you have to go to both to get every size you need.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

People who have recapped this unit, can you post a list of what you used?
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

1 - P12372-ND CAP 330uF 16V ELECT FM RADIAL - 6x12
          1 - P12373-ND CAP 3300uF 16V ELECT FM RADIAL - 10x35

1 - P12357-ND CAP 2200uF 10V ELECT FM RADIAL - 10x25
          1 - P12353-ND CAP 1000uF 10V ELECT FM RADIAL - 10x20
          2 - P12354-ND CAP 1000uF 10V ELECT FM RADIAL - 8x20

2 - P12347-ND CAP 4700uF 6.3V ELECT FM RADIAL - 10x30

1 - P12927-ND CAP ELECT 22uF 50V FM RADIAL - 5x11 [Critical 5vsb]

2 - 565-2956-ND CAP 1000uF 200V ELECT KMQ SNAP - 22x50

-------
          11 caps

Gentle coercion of some output coils and wire bundles may be necessary to fit the caps. A little soldering iron applied to allow them to move slightly in their holes either sideways or up a little. The 2200uF at the board edge is the toughest and to get the cover back on.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Toasty; 12-27-2010, 03:50 PM.
          veritas odium parit

Comment

Toasty - thanks a lot.
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

I've met somewhat of a trifle in trying to get to two 4.7uF 50V "TN" caps underneath one of the heatsinks. (Thanks PCBONEZ... You say these should have been TM, I will replace them accordingly)

As far as I can comprehend, I need to remove the heatsink to get to it. No problem... the heatsink is only held in the PCB by two pins. My problem is that the mofsets are screwed into the heatsink... The only way I can think of doing it is wicking away all the solder from the mofsets pins so that they make no contact with the PCB when I pull out the sink, or using some sort of extreme right-angle philips screwdriver to unscrew the mofsets from the sink...

Here are some photos to illustrate what I'm speaking of.
              Attached Files

Comment

Ahhh....

Curved or right-angle 6" Surgical Forceps.

New caps have long leads so putting the new ones in should not be too difficult with those tools. Typically available everywhere. Get the Pakistan made ones not the China ones if you can.

Time to build up your tool box!

Also, a stick with chewing gum or similar sticky on the end works too.

Toast

EDIT: UCC KY or Pana FC works fine there.
                Last edited by Toasty; 01-09-2011, 12:43 AM.
                veritas odium parit

Comment

De-soldering braid works too. I find that if you remove the solder with the PCB upside down, the cap just falls out.
                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

There's a cap behind EC26 which is 50V 0.22uF. As I was desoldering it, it fell out and I have no point of reference as to the polarity. Is the polarity the same as EC26 or is it the opposite?

EC26 is to the left of all the 3300 caps behind the big coil. It's one of only two 5x11mm caps.

If someone can check, I would be grateful. Thanks.

Comment

This is why we do cap-maps.... hehehehe

If this is still about a SP-450 I -might- have one out in the store room I can look at tomorrow.
                      What is the exact model number?

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

This happened *while* I was doing the cap map.

Thanks very much. Yes, the model is an exact "SP-450".

I've got a $50 gift card with Mouser's name written on it, and I'm gonna order caps for like 6 PSUs I've been meaning to recap for years now. Plus I will put those Samxon RS to use.

-Just a correction. It's not one of only two 5mm caps. There are more on the board. What I meant to say that it is one of the two 5mm caps there.

Comment

I *know* this question came up before somewhere in here. Damned if I can find it now....

NEG towards heatsink. This is the 0.22uF/50v cap that was lying on its side, yes?

WTH is a EC26?
                          veritas odium parit

Comment

Mine is an SP-450P but that side is the same.

The cap in question has negative lead towards heatsink..
                            .. IOW it's reversed from EC26.

Interesting that the silk screen for the cap in question looks like a resistor and is labeled R98.
                            Now I know why you didn't just look at the silk screen for polarity...
                            Last edited by PCBONEZ; 05-02-2011, 09:05 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                              WTH is a EC26?
                              Electrolytic Capacitor #26

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

Okay.

I have no cap numbers. Just a map with values/sizes. Is it (EC26) the 10uF/50v, 5x11?

It doesn't have 3300uF's out there. 4700uF/6.3v are the originals.

The only 3300uF (original) is the 16v one next to the fan control board.

[EDIT]
                                I know I've done this one before as I have a pre-edited picture ready for it...

It is *NOT* a cap I replaced. There is no need.

[EDIT #2]
                                ah-HA!! Found it!
                                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8403

The reason for not changing it is a few posts after the pic.

Attached Files
                                Last edited by Toasty; 05-02-2011, 09:43 AM.
                                veritas odium parit

Comment

Mine has the 4700uF like yours.
                                  Mine isn't laid over though.
                                  It's standing up all tall and perky like a, um, never mind.

Pic should help with the rest.
                                  Attached Files

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

PCBONEZ - Once again, you have come to the rescue.

Question - for small GP caps, should I use Panasonic KG as you recommend or Panasonic FC which is a "marginal" GP cap and has slightly better but usually equal ripple suppression than KG but is less expensive I think?

Also what does Quasar mean when he says not to use dissimilar caps on a filter input/output? I'm a little confused, because I often see a mix of GP and low ESR high value caps on PSUs. How can you tell what is a filter input/output?

Here is a comprehensive list of almost every single capacitor on the PCB (Except for the primaries which probably don't need replacing and the daughterboard, which I believe only has coupling capacitors, and where I can't get to anyway, otherwise I would have replaced them too).

EC3 - Fuhjyyu 50V 4.7uF "TN" 5x11
                                    EC4 - Fuhjyyu 50V 4.7uF "TN" 5x11
                                    EC5 - Fuhjyyu 50V 22uF "TN" 5x11
                                    EC6 - Unpopulated
                                    EC7 - Cannot locate - probably nonexistant
                                    EC8 - Cannot locate - probably nonexistant
                                    EC9 - Cannot locate - probably nonexistant
                                    EC10 - Teapo 10V 1000uF "SEK" 8x15
                                    EC11 - Teapo 10V 1000uF "SEK" 8x15
                                    EC12 - Fuhjyyu 50V 47uF "TN" 6.3x11
                                    EC13 - Fuhjyyu 50V 10uF "TN" 5x11
                                    EC14 - Fuhjyyu 50V 1uF "TN" 5x11
                                    EC15 - Fuhjyyu 50V 1uF "TN" 5x11
                                    EC16 - Fuhjyyu 50V 1uF "TN" 5x11
                                    EC17 - Fuhjyyu 50V 1uF "TN" 5x11
                                    EC18 - Fuhjyyu 16V 220uF "TN" 6.3x11
                                    EC19 - Fuhjyyu 16v 3300uF "TM" 10x35
                                    EC20 - Teapo 16V 330uF "SC" 6.3x15
                                    EC21 - Fuhjyyu 10V 1000uF "TM" 10x20
                                    EC22 - Fuhjyyu 10V 2200uF "TM" 10x25
                                    EC23 - Unpopulated
                                    EC24 - Teapo 6.3V 4700uF "SC" 10x30 (In an 8mm marked spot)
                                    EC25 - Teapo 6.3V 4700uF "SC" 10x30
                                    EC26 - Fuhjyyu 50V 10uF "TN" 5x11
                                    EC27 - Fuhjyyu 50V 0.1uF "TN" 5x11
                                    R98 - Fuhjyyu 50V 0.22uF "TNR" 5x11 (Behind EC26 - negative lead oppoiste direction of EC26)

Comment

>>PCBONEZ - Once again, you have come to the rescue.<<

Really?

>>Also what does Quasar mean when he says not to use dissimilar caps on a filter input/output? <<

I thought in the next post (19) he explained that...?

OIY!
                                      veritas odium parit

Comment

Toasty, how have you been?

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                                        >>PCBONEZ - Once again, you have come to the rescue.<<

Really?

>>Also what does Quasar mean when he says not to use dissimilar caps on a filter input/output? <<

I thought in the next post (19) he explained that...?

OIY!

Comment

LOL,, Toasty answered you first.
                                          I almost didn't answer once I saw him give you the right one but I figured as I said I would check I should post anyway as a confirmation.
                                          I know caps and mobos but Toasty knows more about PSU's than I do.
                                          I just happened to have that one in the 'to do' room. [Store Room.]

I use the KG as my default cap for the 50v caps at 6.8uF and less.
                                          That's because:
                                          - they handle more ripple [in that uF range] than most others
                                          - except for the 6.8mm they are all 4mm so they'll fit anywhere.
                                          The 6.8uF is 5mm but the next one [10uF] jumps to 6.3mm which is often too big.
                                          For 50v at 10uF and up I'll use LXZ, FC, PW or something similar.
                                          --
                                          The pisser is Digikey used to sell KG in 'my sizes' in 10 packs for $0.91 [$0.09/cap].
                                          Now to get the price break you have to buy 50.

Quasar is basically saying to match ESR new to old.
                                          Same thing I'm trying to teach people.

Excellent BOM by the way.

Other areas of my board apparently aren't like yours. [SP-450 vs SP-450P]
                                          Mine has EC6 populated with a 47uF 50v TN.
                                          There is also a 50v 10uF Fuhjyyu SS series in a position marked 1C1 between the big transformer and IC3.
                                          Probably some find some other differences if I ever get time to rework it. [Interestingly it's an unused sample.]
                                          PCB is out but not apart and I can't see everything well enough to do a good BOM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                          -
                                          -

Comment

Working...
                                          X