Asus X541UVK Rev 2.0: random freezes, black screen, no boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus X541UVK Rev 2.0: random freezes, black screen, no boot

Hi to all. I have a Asus laptop X541UVK Rev 2.0 that sometimes gives no video, sometimes will shutdown randomly, sometimes goes to black screen after being working fine at random times.

I say "sometimes" because it was working fine for 24hs, then it starts to do the same weird stuff.

I did thermal paste replaced (it was FULL of dirty inside the heatsink and cooler), RAM checked and it's OK, HDD replaced and the same.

Last time i run a stress test for 15min and the temp did not exceed 49 celsius. It is a Intel i3 7t generation. RAM tests gives no error.

In the last "black screen" (after beeing working fine like 4 hours) it was a little blue line in the upper part of the screen.
    There are no bios on asus support webpage.

BIOS: X541UAK.306
    MOTHERBOAD: X541UVK Rev. 2.0
    CPU: Intel Core i3 7100U Kaby-Lake R
    Last edited by ignacio.ino27; 05-20-2021, 12:58 PM.

Re: Asus X541UVK Rev 2.0: random freezes, black screen, no boot

You should email Asus for their latest bios. Weird that they do not have a link to this Asus product.

Found this:

https://www.alisaler.com/asus-x541uvk-rev2-0-bios-ec/

Comment

Hello Mon2 and thanks very much for your help.

I will email them. And i can start flashing the MAIN BIOS, i think CH341 will read and write the chip fine...

Comment

I received same device yesterday with same issue (although without blank screen or blue lines). It works fine sometimes and refuses to boot other times. Say its ON and I turn it off and immediately try to turn on again, it wont boot. I have to disconnect it completely, let it sit for a few minutes. It'll then exhibit same behavior as mentioned above.

I also have same bios files as linked by mon2. Doesnt seem to make any difference. Havent had time to properly troubleshoot yet.

Comment

hi i upload asus f541u bios dump i made. u can give it a try.

edit: mine had i5 6th generation cpu

Mod edit,Bios moved: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1049450

Last edited by SMDFlea; 05-31-2021, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spider1211 View Post
            I received same device yesterday with same issue (although without blank screen or blue lines). It works fine sometimes and refuses to boot other times. Say its ON and I turn it off and immediately try to turn on again, it wont boot. I have to disconnect it completely, let it sit for a few minutes. It'll then exhibit same behavior as mentioned above.

I also have same bios files as linked by mon2. Doesnt seem to make any difference. Havent had time to properly troubleshoot yet.
            Hello, did you try flashing the BIOS with a programmer (outside the motherboard)? I will try today to do that with the .bin that Mon uploaded.

Comment

Originally posted by dellxps15 View Post
              hi i upload asus f541u bios dump i made. u can give it a try.

edit: mine had i5 6th generation cpu
              I will try it, fash main bios right? I think it will not work because mine had i3 7th generation

Comment

@dellxps15; tried your BIOS but still same issue unfortunately.

@ignacio.ino27; yes, flashed with a programmer (RT809H) but with chip on board. Sometimes you can flash the chip as ISP and sometimes you can't.

The board I have is i3 also. First boot after initial BIOS flash, board booted fine but then exhibits issue as described in earlier post. I'll try flashing the EC later and see if this helps.

Comment

So I tried flashing EC but no luck. Still have same issue.

Things I have tried:
                  1. Reflash EC with backup from internet -> no change
                  2. Erase EC and let BIOS program EC on first boot -> no change
                  3. Replace BQ24780s (although everything checked OK, changed for testing purposes) -> no change.

I am not sure what to test now, everything else seems to test OK. Am guessing it may be a dying EC (had an almost similar issue on another laptop with IT8587E, replacing EC solved issue). Sadly I do not have a replacement IT8995E to test.

@ignacio.ino27; did you manage to fix yours?

EDIT:
                  Eventually managed to fix it, it was a partially faulty R5852. This was initially tested and it checked out. After playing with the laptop a bit I guess it deteriorate enough to allow detection.
                  Last edited by Spider1211; 05-31-2021, 03:29 PM. Reason: Device fixed

Comment

Hello! Sorry for delay in reply

1- I reflashed BIOS with mon2 shared bin, boot fine but cant install S.O. It gives errror when i try to format it or create new partitions. I did a clean ME and still the same.
                    2- I cleaned the ME Region in my original dump and it does the same. It boots but you cant install SO or boot the hdd/ssd drive (even if Windows is installed on that drive)
                    3- Can you please post a pic of that R5852 @Spider1211? Because i have been searching for it with a boardview but seems like there are some diferent things between my board and the boardview.

The notebook stoped freezing and giving random blacl screen in BIOS but i am having this problem. Another weird thing is that if you connect the DVD driver on SATA the HDD/SSD the motherboard will not recognize the HDD/SSD even in BIOS.

Edit: HDD and SSD used are 100% good and new. It gives me 0X8007045 error with any hdd/ssd when you try to format or install S.O.
                    Last edited by ignacio.ino27; 06-04-2021, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Unstable operation and freezing of X541UKV may be PCH chip soldering error. You can heat it with a flux and bga machine.. it will probably be fine. sometimes the 25Mhz system oscillator should be checked.
                      Last edited by Sametbey; 06-05-2021, 12:42 AM.
                      I'm not happy to be so strong. because it's not humanly

Comment

I no longer have the board with me, but here is a labeled picture from internet. Use it a guide with boardview, its the 3VA_DSW_ON signal.

For the random freeze & black screen, it could also be the onboard RAM is failing. Try to disable it and test with external RAM modules. Also check what Sametbey suggested.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi! I finally got the motherboard working perfect at the moment. I have done another manually clean ME attemp using another ME version and now seems that it is working OK. Even the HDMI works when it was not working.

One weird thing in this board is that there are no BGA rams (only the pads are present but not the RAM sticks) and it is stock and rev. 2.0. I used the same boardview @Spider1211 but the side of my board is different that's the weird fact. Even the chipset that it is present in the attached photograph of the motherboard is not present in mine. I found the resistor and the value was OK!

I will attach the bios file i have edited with ME Injector, it is "Stock" status right now and was the solution of the problem on my motherboard.
                          Last edited by SMDFlea; 06-07-2021, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Can you post a picture of your board? Top and bottom side.

Comment

Originally posted by ignacio.ino27 View Post
                              I will attach the bios file i have edited with ME Injector, it is "Stock" status right now and was the solution of the problem on my motherboard.
                              If you want to post the bios post it in the bios requests section please.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40
                              All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

@Spider1211 Sure!

@SMDFlea Ok! I will do it
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X