Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP G7000 Dead

Hi all,

I have a HP G7000 laptop here that is totally dead. Pressing the power button gives me nothing, connecting the AC adapter gives me nothing. No lights or anything.

I have stripped the laptop and checked for anything obvious, I have also checked the solder joints on the mainboard and confirmed the power adapter is supplying the required 19.5v.

Can anyone advise me on my next move?

Re: HP G7000 Dead

Check AO4433 switching mosfets on power source side on mobo (just where power entering ). Did battery hold any power?
    Laptops and computers repair.

Comment

check power mosfets

Comment

If those are shorted you have to replace them (propably only one) for new ones. You can easly use AO4407 instead.

Comment

I have found what I think are the equivalent parts on the mobo. I have attached a picture.

The parts are labeled...

AH5AJ
          FDS
          6675BZ

Am i looking at the right thing?

EDIT : I have also found a datasheet and am now pretty sure I am looking at the right thing.

Any tips on how to test them?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by fusionmax; 05-02-2011, 09:28 AM. Reason: Added a PDF

Comment

That's right. You can use AO4433 or AO4407 instead of this.
            Measure resistance between pin 4 and 1,2,3 / between 4 and 5,6,7,8 / between 1,2,3 and 5,6,7,8. You got datasheet so you can see how it is look inside. If there is no resistance that component is shorted. Otherwise there should be some resistance one way .

Comment

Any idea where I can get replacements in the UK??

Comment

I have no idea. I'm buying on ebay (imported from China of course) so I think you can try to find some on ebay (BTW I saw one guy from Portugal that was selling 4407's).

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, I spotted the guy in Portugal selling them and have ordered a couple.

Ill report back when I get them and fit them with the results

Comment

Well, I figure since this is a recent thread, I should pop in here too...

I have a DV4 that mysteriously stopped working after I let my roommate use it for a while (/headsmack). It had its fair share of thermal issues (poor thermal design - when will HP learn?), but charged/worked fine. It now does nothing but "zap" the adapter when I plug it in. Torn completely down, same thing. Measured current with a multimeter and it showed spikes of 2 amps but basically random figures, as the adapter cycled on and off rapidly (overload). Stumped. The DC-in plug on the mobo measured 0.5 volts after plugging in, 19v while unplugged from the board. Tested with another adapter and it did the same thing, but the adapter overloaded and powered-off immediately (high quality universal adapter with HP tip).

Looked over everything, nothing was burned. Nothing was spilled on it, not dropped, damaged, or anything. Well, I started ohm-metering the 8-pin SMT chips around the socket, and comparing it with the datasheets I could find. The chip marked "4433" and "BV8K2K" was the hardest to find; I thought BV8K2K was the P/N, since I couldn't easily search for "4433". I referenced the logo on it and found "Alpha & Omega Semiconductor" and ran a search on their site, found the AO4433 MOSFET. Bingo. Ohm-metered that chip, and all the source/drain pins were connected. Oops.

Unfortunately, I only found the "cause" in the process of confirming its destruction... with a drop of my "sledgehammer" pencil soldering iron, I ended up sliding the chip into 2 pieces... it literally slid apart on the board. Wel'p, there's our problem! Or at least, the culprit. Sadly, in the diagnostic process, I also destroyed the "gate" pin of a second MOSFET, a SI4835DY, in trying to temporarily lift the pin; it just crumpled and broke off, taking the board trace with it. So I'm probably going to have to replace the whole mobo.

But I figure I should chronicle my efforts here, for anyone else searching for the same thing Just chalking up another failure of this chip, I guess. I'd love to know what could've caused this blow-out though, if anyone has any suggestions...

Comment

I was talking with some guy on polish electronic forum and he had similar problem with NC6320. But he's still loking for cause.
                      Well , soldering things like those can be done by hot air station. That's the best way and more easy.

Comment

NC series have problems with Maxim power controller. Its a BGA design so a reflow will work. Actually one I fixed with a hairdryer (was on vacation - had to improvise).

Comment

Well , MAX IC in NC series is SMT design component actually. I repaired couple of them with regular pencil soldering iron + flux to improve effect and do not solder together IC's tips.

Comment

Just a quick note to say my original issue with the HP G7000 was resolved by fitting those new parts.

Thanks for all your help

Comment

hello, friends

please, what's the difference between AO4433, AO4407 and PF85Z FDS 6675BZ, 6675A, 6675S?

I can(t find in Morocco the AO4433 or AO4407, only I have 6675A or 6675S!

quick answer please!
                              thanks!

Comment

Hi

I have the same problem. The two mosfets one shorts between pin 4 and 5 or Gate to Drain. I have found these mosfets in the UK at Farnell components for £1.30 Each http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/displayPro...ss_price=true- Hope this helps. The model number is FDS6675BZ. It is similar to the A04433 or A04407 but going to order direct replacements. Thanks for the thread.

Mark

Comment

I look in the datasheet for its specs (P-type, 30V 10A) and find same or stronger (usually on other boards that lay around and replace. Works every time.

Comment

Working...
                                  X