Security camera linking remotely to NVR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security camera linking remotely to NVR

I've got already a 16 port NVR installed at a certain location. The building owner wants to add 4 IP cameras on a different building 500m away from the main building.
    My way going about is to install the cameras on the off site building, connect them to a 8 port POE switch, install a wifi bridge and plug that into that POE switch too. That should do the remote side. Easy.

The main building should have the other end of the wifi bridge.

Did any one try to hook a wifi bridge staight up to the NVR's camera POE port?
    I do know that usually the wifi bridge is hooked up to a switch together with the NVR's internet port. But why not connecting the bridge directly to the NVR's camera port?
    Never seen anything or anyone doing it that way.

What NVR are you using that allows you to connect more cameras than ports, or are less than 12 cameras being used already?
    Last edited by diif; 12-24-2023, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Yeah, forgot to mention it's a Northern N2 16 port NVR. Only half of them are currently used, The plan of thought was to connect one end of the bridge right to the NVRs POE port where the IP cams hook up to. Never heard anybody doing it this way, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to try

i squiggled something quickly up…
      Attached Files
      Last edited by CapLeaker; 12-24-2023, 06:43 PM.

Comment

I would think it is down to the software on the NVR, I was reading that something similar has been done using a hikvision NVR.

You might need to set static IPs of the new cameras perhaps.

Comment

do you have line-of-sight between the buildings?

Comment

Line of sight for the wifi bridge, yes. This should work for one remote cam for sure, interesting question is, does it also for 4 cams, because they end up on one port of the NVR.

Comment

the recorder is going to have a hard limit based on cpu, ram etc.
              the port itself is probably fast enough - i presume it's gigabit.
              if not you may have to look into the stream bandwidth from each camera and if it's an option maybe drop the resolution or framerate

Comment

CPU, RAM on the NVR shouldnt be a problem. The NVR has 16 ports and with the 4 new CAMs it would be only having 12 in total. So there is room for 4 more CAMs after this expansion. I think the POE ports run on 100mbit.

Comment

I had deployed on one site before, using ubiquiti, with parabolic antenna

most had raised a good point is LOS

normally my concern is lighting strike on the pole which can fry those connected devices, thus some sites we do this:

Main Office
                  Customer Network > Customer Network Switch > Fiber Media Converter > Fiber Cable > Fiber Media Converter > Power Injector > Parabolic Antenna

Remote Site
                  Outdoor Antenna > Power Injector > Fiber Media Converter > Fiber Cable > Fiber Media Converter > Customer Network Switch > Remote Site Network

so far I had observed from other setup from other vendors .. like they are using like,

engenius long range
                  https://www.newegg.com/global/sg-en/...9uNSTNYdPTcLJQ

mikrotik long range

Comment

i'm not sure 100Mb is enough for 4 streams - maybe but it depends on the resolution and framerate
                    if it's compressed it will also depend on how much of the image is static and how much changes

Comment

Not worried about lightning as I got proper lightning protection. I did a few WiFi bridges before with zero problems that ran over 10 years on high points only to get replaced by me again in order to ged faster connections.
                      What I haven't done yet is to put multiple cam streams down one wire straight to the switch POE part of the NVR. In theory it should work, unless the POE switch with its own router part cannot handle more than one IP per port.

Comment

Just got around to this again. I tested this configuration yesterday on the bench and this plan as in my post #3 didn't work out. The POE ports on the NVR do NOT allow multiple IP addresses on a single POE port. I could see all the cameras on the list, but only one was connected. I could select a different one, but then the first one got disconnected. Unplugging the connection from the bridge to the POE ports over to the internet side of the NVR through a network switch worked fine as kind having 4 cams through the wifi bridge and going to the NVR. Only problem with it is I need four 192.168..xxx.xxx addresses.
                        Other than that, it works perfect.
                        Last edited by CapLeaker; 03-23-2024, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X