Quick Easy Question about Voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Easy Question about Voltage

The guy at the store said I could do it, but I wanted to get a second opinion first. Might seem like a dumb thing to ask, I've never done this before. I've only soldered components onto PCB's in highschool but I have confidence I won't torch my board.

2 X 2200uf 6.3V capacitors on my Acer N1996 board are leaking. They havn't caused any problems and everything seems stable for now. But I wanna replace them before they cause problems, I don't feel like losing files.

Anyhoo...

I can get 3 X 2200uf 16V capacitors to replace them with for $3.50, same temperature rating. I don't know about any other specs but the guy says they will be compatible.

If I order the 2200uf 6.3V capacitors they will cost 5 bucks with 20 bucks shipping. I don't feel like wandering all over town and shopping around...

What do ya'll say?

Re: Quick Easy Question about Voltage

If you're not putting in quality caps, it won't be worth the time (imho). Make sure you're buying a listed good brand of caps, preferably a series made for computer usage (high temp, low esr, high ripple current, etc..). Also, if you're only replacing the two that are visibly bad (leaking), you will certainly be replacing the rest in the near future; I'm referring to the largest ones near the CPU socket. You may also want to check the branding of the rest of medium sized caps on the rest of the board to see if they're a listed bad cap brand.

I buy most of my caps on ebay from this guy:
    http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/dement...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ
    but he seems to not have a few items listed right now, he usually has Rubycon MBZ 3300uf/6.3V for $0.50/ea. Its always best to buy 105C rated caps for replacements, regardless of what was in there before; 2200uf caps can be replaced with 3300uf caps, assuming the same voltage rating and size (diameter) as the original (or larger if space permits).
    Hope this helps.

Comment

They are a good brand of cap.

N.T.E.

You didn't say weather I could use the 2200uf 16V caps. That mean I can't?

Should I replace all 5 then?

The store down the road doesn't have anything 6.3V
      Last edited by dirtydavesanchez; 12-22-2008, 02:23 PM.

Comment

16V is fine, just make sure the diamater is the same or you may have a bit of a problem installing larger caps. Yes, you should replace all 5 if you have the option to.

Comment

iirc nte caps are not low esr.
          buy the right parts and do it right the first time.

Comment

If NTEs caps are are anything like their crappy vertical deflection ICs then run away!!!

They are an absolute last resort for me only if I can't find the original part number (which is rare).

NTEs warehouse is about 1 town away from me in Jersey but I still don't buy their crap.

They just take a said IC or transistor scrape the original part number off of it and assign it a generic NTE name NTExxx.

Actually I remember some years ago they were re-badging counterfeit ICs to sub the real ones whether or not they knew this is up for debate.

Bottom line low ESR from a reputable manufacturer is the only way to go for lasting results.

If as KC said NTE's caps are General Purpose then you WON'T want to use them on a mobo anyway.
            Last edited by Krankshaft; 12-22-2008, 07:17 PM.
            Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

http://stores.ebay.com/PC-MotherBoar...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Comment

if he REALLY wants to save that desperately, he can put cheapies and monitor them.

i've put samwha on my msi6337 and it works(not on cpu vrm spots, but i wouldn't hesitate to put 2 normal caps instead of one low esr cap...esr would that way be low enough and it would probably last...).
                because the thing is; i don't wanna pay more for shipping than for caps themselves...
                i'm too cheap to be giving such sums to postal service.
                so if i can source it locally(within this country) i will, if i have to order from abroad, not likely.

if you're wondering if they will work or not, search forum for posts from member "rainbow".
                he was putting normal caps instead of low-esr and it worked.

offcourse, nobody can guarantee you how long will it work...that's the difference between cheap caps and good low esr ones.

Comment

If you want the board to work and last then you need to use the right kind of caps.
                  NTE does not sell caps suitable for use on modern motherboards.

There are different grades of low ESR caps.
                  The first step is to identify the old ones so you know what grade you need to be looking for.

What are the old ones?
                  Beyond volts and uF need to know: Make, Series, Diameter.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

and lead spacing.
                    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

True.
                      Some caps use odd-ball lead spacings.
                      Fortunately not super common but good to check.
                      Mann-Made Global Warming.
                      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm gunna buy some ultra low ESR on ebay. The shipping isn't bad... I'm gunna buy 6 panasonic caps and replace all of them.

Comment

Working...
                        X