Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me identify this BMS component

Hi
    I have 4 ego 56v power tool batteries where the BMS battery management board is dead. I believe I have narrowed down the problem on all 4 to a transformer coil on the board. There are no markings whatsoever on this coil. How would I go about trying to identify it? Thanks.

I'm attaching a couple of photos for starters. The first shows the entire board with the component in question (silver square 6pin device next to caps).
    The second photo shows the board with the transformer coil removed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Re: Help me identify this BMS component

What do the two connectors connect to I amuse that one hooks to the battery cells but where do the other one hooks up to ( unless the other connector has some battery cells on that one as well and also has temperature sensors on this connector as well )

Please show us a picture of the battery pack cells as well with the connector
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 11-10-2023, 07:36 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

The two top connectors attach to the 14 cell packs (individual cell monitoring) plus wiring for two thermistors.
      The bottom connector attaches to the battery contacts (negative and positive leads plus T terminal plus D terminal.
      The coil in question is involved in the circuitry that drops 56v to lower voltages to drive the BMS (12v, 3.3V etc).
      I can also attach another image of an older version of this BMS, which has more labels on the board.
      Last edited by braxton; 11-11-2023, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Here is an image of an older version of the BMS board with more labels:
        Attached Files

Comment

I took a chance and ordered this coil from digikey:
          https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/d...0926NL/2265652

It looked similar and dimensions were correct. It had a slightly different pin out, but long story short, it did not work in this application.
          Last edited by braxton; 11-11-2023, 11:54 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

What was wrong with the original transformer? it is unlikely it was bad unless it was physically damaged.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
              What was wrong with the original transformer? it is unlikely it was bad unless it was physically damaged.
              For some reason this coil component is a common failure, especially in the newest ego batteries with the fuel gauge. One of the 3 coils tends to short or open up.
              In my case, the 3 coils do not appear to be shorted or open, but resistance values differ slightly from working coils.

If I install a coil removed from a working BMS, it restores functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by braxton View Post
                For some reason this coil component is a common failure, especially in the newest ego batteries with the fuel gauge. One of the 3 coils tends to short or open up.
                In my case, the 3 coils do not appear to be shorted or open, but resistance values differ slightly from working coils.

If I install a coil removed from a working BMS, it restores functionality.
                Ok good to know, If it is a common problem maybe some one has a source for them.

Comment

bms transformer by the looks of it .
                  see if you can match it .. https://www.digikey.bg/en/product-hi...t-transformers

Comment

Ok good to know, If it is a common problem maybe some one has a source for them.
                    Lots seem to be looking but I can't find any sites that mention that someone has found anything yet. It might be a proprietary part made just for EGO bms??
                    Last edited by braxton; 11-11-2023, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                      bms transformer by the looks of it .
                      see if you can match it .. https://www.digikey.bg/en/product-hi...t-transformers
                      Thanks. I'm not enough of an expert to know what to look for.
                      Based on my second photo in the 1st post, I can see that pin 1 (bottom left) has a coil connecting to pin 2 next to it. Pin 3 has a coil connecting to pin 4 across from it. Pin 5 has a coil connecting to pin 6 (top left and middle pins).

I'm not sure how to interpret coil schematics in the datasheets to find a similar profile.Closest I could find was the pulse electronics device i linked to above, but it didn't work...

Comment

measure the inductances of a good one . a schematic would help but i know with these things its not going to be available .
                        makes me wonder why they are failing .

Comment

I took a chance and ordered this coil from digikey:
                          https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/d...0926NL/2265652

It looked similar and dimensions were correct. It had a slightly different pin out, but long story short, it did not work in this application.
                          How did you try this replacement transformer? did you add wires to its pins so you could connect it correctly to the board or just soldered it in place.

Comment

How did you try this replacement transformer? did you add wires to its pins so you could connect it correctly to the board or just soldered it in place.
                            I added wires to its pins so that it would connect properly to the pads on the boards, as its pinout was different. Pins 3-4 were correct but the others needed to be criss-crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                              measure the inductances of a good one . a schematic would help but i know with these things its not going to be available .
                              makes me wonder why they are failing .
                              I unfortunately don't have any equipment to measure inductance

Comment

I unfortunately don't have any equipment to measure inductance
                                my multimeter has it .am sure these days there are affordable things that can do this , on another note all i found with similar bms was bad thermistors . i dont see one on your board . must be connected through the plugs .

Comment

Using my 9V generic electrical component tester, the 3 coils test as resistors (in circuit and bms powered down; in a working bms). Pins 1 and 2 are 8.2 ohms, pins 3 and 4 are 6.8 ohms and pins 5-6 are 5.4 ohms. I did not do any further testing at this time as these batteries are very expensive and i don't want to risk breaking a working BMS.
                                  Do they need to be tested out of circuit?

My tool can measure inductance as I tried other choke coils and the transformer coil part i ordered from digikey and they tested as inductors (with an ohm reading and mH reading; out of circuit).
                                  Last edited by braxton; 11-12-2023, 12:36 PM.

Comment

I noticed that, on the BMS board, the 3 coil symbols each has a (-) designation at one end, which would seem to indicate a polarity. How does this factor into identifying a suitable replacement part and installing that part?

Comment

I guess a more general question is:
                                      What is this transformer exactly doing in this configuration? What is it’s purpose in this BMS?

In a working BMS, the low voltage circuit turns on when the battery gauge button is pressed, or when the battery is used in a tool or charged on the charger. When this circuit is activated, pin 1 of the transformer (bottom left in first photo) reads approx 55v, pin 2 reads approx 54v, pin 5 reads approx 3-5v and pin 6 approximately 3-5v. Pins 3-4 measure in the mVs.

Comment

Working...
                                      X