Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone recommend an earth leakage clamp meter ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

been working out what system this is here .. best i can work out is TNCS with added ground rod . earth wire connects to incoming neutral and also to a ground rod .. i was always told its TT but it can't be .
    Last edited by petehall347; 04-25-2024, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
      Fluke 393FC works every time.
      How well does this meter do on DC current measurements I know how well Flukes do on AC current measurements but have no experience with them with dc clamp meters and if you want for DC current measurements is worth the extra money compared to the Fluke 902FC

Because I am looking at this one but I want to know is worth the difference between the one I have and the capability of this one
      Fluke 376 FC True-RMS AC/DC Clamp Meter

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32609859833...Bk9SR8yryP_iYw

The difference between these two clamp on meters is about double the price
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 04-25-2024, 07:21 PM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post

How well does this meter do on DC current measurements I know how well Flukes do on AC current measurements but have no experience with them with dc clamp meters and if you want for DC current measurements is worth the extra money compared to the Fluke 902FC

Because I am looking at this one but I want to know is worth the difference between the one I have and the capability of this one

What are you looking for to do with it? What are your minimum requirements?

Comment

from what i have read there aren't any dc clamp meters that are accurate at low currents ,

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post

from what i have read there aren't any dc clamp meters that are accurate at low currents ,
            Yes and no. While current clamps aren't the best way measuring low current accurately, some with a small jaw are better than a big one. I've got 2 current clamps. One is a normal one that has a big jaw (Fluke) for my solar panels. The second one has a very small jaw (the round hole is just as big I can put my pinky finger through) to read lower current with higher count read out (Extech) all depends on for what are you diagnose
            Last edited by CapLeaker; 04-26-2024, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
              All depends on for what are you diagnose
              I have wanted to use a DC clamp on meter to measure current above 5 amps and I had bought years ago when I worked for the metal company and it lasted for a couple of years of use but one day I tried to use it and it was not working properly anymore so
              I basically used it to see how much current the electric magnet lifting device was using to determine weather or not it was functioning properly and how good the battery was in it
              I also used on semi trucks to determine weather or not the alternator was functioning properly or not and what the starting current was too determined if there was an issue with the battery or the starter

I have been reluctant to buy another one but getting into using high current capacity battery cells
              I also plan on getting some solar panels used ones if I can find a good source for them or news ones if not

I going to need one again

How low of current can it read accurately the Fluke 376FC

What model Fluke meter do you use for your solar panels system to measure current with

How low can the Extech read low current which model are we talking about here and how many years of use and how often do you use it

Thanks for your reply

Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 04-26-2024, 05:36 AM.
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

I have wanted to use a DC clamp on meter to measure current above 5 amps and I had bought years ago when I worked for the metal company and it lasted for a couple of years of use but one day I tried to use it and it was not working properly anymore so
                I basically used it to see how much current the electric magnet lifting device was using to determine weather or not it was functioning properly and how good the battery was in it
                I also used on semi trucks to determine weather or not the alternator was functioning properly or not and what the starting current was too determined if there was an issue with the battery or the starter

I have been reluctant to buy another one but getting into using high current capacity battery cells
                I also plan on getting some solar panels used ones if I can find a good source for them or news ones if not

I going to need one again

How low of current can it read accurately the Fluke 376FC

What model Fluke meter do you use for your solar panels system to measure current with

How low can the Extech read low current which model are we talking about here and how many years of use and how often do you use it

Thanks for your reply

Look at an Extech 380942 or 380950, but they only do 30A or 80A and go down to 1mA resolution AC and DC. The Fluke 376 is a differ t beast and depending on how you use it it does 1000A or 2500A using a accessory with a resolution of 100mA. It all depends on what you want to do. I have the small Extech with the little jaw for the bench. I use the big Fluke 393FC for solar array, GTI, ground fault, electric motor, isolation fault repairs along with a Fluke 1587. The Fluke 393FC can do a few things the 376 cannot do. as for accuracy, them are about 2 percent or so.However IF you need to get more exact than get it with a calibration certificate. Now for me there are some meters and other tools that I send in every year for recalibration as it is a requirement. I know some of the crap is expensive, but it really depends on what level of repair you carrying out. If it's just hobby wise, look at Extech, Reed etc. Reed stuff is pretty cheap compared to the other name brands, but you can also get it with a calibration certificate!

Comment

and with perfect timing for this thread,
                  i just got a letter through the door,
                  some contracter is spending the next 2 months ripping out the Iron gas line along my street and replacing it with a poly one.
                  how ironic that another contracter last year came round and earth-bonded the gas line that now wont be conductive! - assholes.

Comment

stj
                    Huh? They ripping out the old gas line replacing with new poly and are they going to fix the grounds too or is this going to be on your pocket book? I mean that is kind of dangerous if someone disconnects your earth ground from your power entrance and nobody tells you anything!?

Comment

it should be safer to have it gone then its safer in case of a broken PEN so long as there is a PME in place

Comment

the house ground is not done through the gas line, the bond is to prevent static or differential currents on the gas pipe.
                        although it will also atract lighting IMO!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                          the house ground is not done through the gas line, the bond is to prevent static or differential currents on the gas pipe.
                          although it will also atract lighting IMO!
                          As long as it is bonded to the main ground at the power entrance , NO!

Comment

Would this meter work for leaking testing

Handheld Digital Clamp Meter Leakage Current Tester AC DC Ammeter Non-contact

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16654049269...Bk9SR9aykPTkYw
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

heavy rain last night and rcd tripped again . might have been me with wet outdoors plugs . 100ma time delay rcd on the way along with 2 x 30ma rcd.s between 2 of us other lines already have them . this should narrow down what circuit is doing it . but maybe we will never know as that 30ma rcd in question is running close to the edge to start with .. the 100ma one will have 28ma constant plus minus unknown but withing 30 percent so ok .

Comment

heavy rain last night and rcd tripped again . might have been me with wet outdoors plugs . 100ma time delay rcd on the way along with 2 x 30ma rcd.s between 2 of us other lines already have them . this should narrow down what circuit is doing it . but maybe we will never know as that 30ma rcd in question is running close to the edge to start with .. the 100ma one will have 28ma constant plus minus unknown but withing 30 percent so ok .
                                A couple of questions

One is your wiring in conduit and is the wire rated for underground use and is the conduit buried in the ground was the conduit glued because all of these can cause issues when it rains a lot I have personally ran into this before tripping GFCI breakers before and I can tell you it is very time consuming endeavor to figure out exactly what was causing the tripping issue but it turned out that the electrical box cover gasket was deteriorating and was allowing water to leak in - in two different electrical boxes and after that I used electrical box type GFCI breaker that fit the electrical panel not the outlet type I had way to many issues with them

I have another issue with GFCI electrical outlet tripping every once in while when there is a lot of rain and or a lot of lighting near the house there are two of them that do this the one porch and one down the driveway

But this one is going to be harder to track down because the conditions have to just right for one or the other to trip or both of them tripping together but because it tripping so rarely I have not done anything to try to figure out what is the issue at this point

One other thing that can cause issues if you use plug replacement parts that are not mold to the prongs this will cause issues and if you have a device plug that is not long enough and just use an out door rated extension cord is fine until it rains heavy for a while
                                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 04-28-2024, 07:52 PM.
                                9 PC LCD Monitor
                                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                1 Dell Mother Board
                                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

what is wet outdoor plugs?
                                  the only connectors i allow outside are rainproof 16A industrial ones.
                                  i hope you dont use those stupid indoor sockets with a flappy cover over them!

Comment

no conduit here . its mainly swa .

Comment

A faulty RCD can randomly trip too.

Comment

It's aggravated by rainfall or not? I would look at outdoor outlets as stj mentioned and also outdoor lighting fixtures.
                                        Here, some people have those light posts on their front lawn and the wiring run to them is pretty hokey.
                                        30mA is still several watts, it should cook or steam out... Does it dry out?

Uni-T UT211B mini-clamp meter 60A high precision 0.1mA looks interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post

Uni-T UT211B mini-clamp meter 60A high precision 0.1mA looks interesting.
                                          I got mixed feelings with Uni-T stuff. Some is not bad other things are crap.

Comment

Working...
                                          X