Turbolink 350w with bad Fuhjyyu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbolink 350w with bad Fuhjyyu

I opened my 350w turbolink power supply and it had 2 bad 10mm 10v 1000uf caps made by Fuhjyyu. All the others are Fujyyu but they aren't bad so I Just replace the two while I'm at it.
    Last edited by willawake; 12-28-2005, 04:48 PM.

Re: Albatron 865PE PRO II with some bad caps

on second thought should i replace all the caps in the PSU ecept for the two big ones because I haven't seen those go bad. Well it has lasted this long so it must be fairly desent. Sorry about all the Q's

Comment

i am not familiar with that brand. for your main system it is a good idea to find a psu with a reasonably good design according to your budget and then recap it with good caps. then you have no worries about it failing and possibly nuking your investment in parts. Fuhjyyu is the new king of crap caps in psus, also caps can be off spec but not look bad. i would replace all Fuhjyyu personally.
      Last edited by willawake; 12-28-2005, 04:49 PM.
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

here is what it looks like, might just replace it with a more efficient psu
        Attached Files

Comment

Re: Turbolink 350w with bad Fuhjyyu

what do you think PSU experts?

Comment

Turbolink 350's are usually Deer... I'm shocked there are actually caps as good as Fuhjyyu in there, and it's not loaded with Rulycons or some of the other "fell off the back of a truck" brands out there

To be fair though, Turbolink does have one or two other suppliers - it could also be a Real Power Enterprise Co. unit, which is a little bit better quality. If it were me, I'd just replace the whole PSU rather than throw money into recapping it.

I wonder how many Fuhjyyu caps are actually failing outside of CWT/Antec units... been doing a lot of poking around at the Terasan site, and have spotted quite a few units from Enhance, Wintech, and Topower among others with Fuhjyyu caps in them. Haven't heard too much about Enhance made (Silverstone) units failing, perhaps due to not being that popular, but Topower is everywhere now that OCZ's units have really taken off in popularity. Would be interesting to lift the lid on am older Powerstream to see how the caps are doing.

Still wondering if poor cooling doesn't have a part to play in the number of failing Fuhjyyu caps out there. They're definitely not good caps to be sure, but I'm just curious how bad they really are.

Comment

yeah i was reading a post somewhere which said something like "my antec smells like burning when i play games but antec said that is normal"

quiet fans are so BS. by the way that HEC hardly pushes any air but the temps seem good. i guess dual fan is the way to go. i will keep an eye on it though. actually i would like some good air noise, i am so used to servers. have you ever heard a DL380? its got 6 delta fans. nasty...

Comment

Never heard a DL380... with 6 Deltas I'm not sure I want to now

That reminds me... the exhaust Yate Loon in my FSP 530W is on its way out now. It's making an intermittant grinding noise but still working for now - just like the Adda did before dying in my CWT 420W. And it's a 20mm thick model I can't find a replacement for

My new FSP 600W will hopefully arrive soon, but I'm not sure I should run it in this system due to the heavy 5v demand. Hope the Yate Loon can hold out for another 4 months or so yet. Maybe I'll take the FSP apart and try to replace the bearings in the fan sometime in the next two days.

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                  what do you think PSU experts?
                  Well I know you've seen more PSUs then me. I've actually only seen the inside of two PSUs. I don't really know what the inside of a good PSU looks like.

Finally I ordered those nichicon caps for my mobo and PSU. It was less than $2 to get 4 caps for the tubolink PSU. I figure it has gone this long, so why not keep it a few more years.

As for installing them, well I hope it isn't too difficult. I did put mod chips in two xboxes and everything when ok for both except a wire fell off the bottom. I told my friend to wait and I'd fix it, but NO, he couldn't wait so he messed up the mobo taking it out. This is what I wanted to do to him

FYI: The air going in the PSU is 79F and going out it is 80F so maybe that is why it has lasted so long.

So Oklahoma Wolf you thing its made by Real Power Enterprise Co or some other supplier. I just love finding out what company makes something for another company.

Turbolink is what Aspire calls their cheap PSUs. see look

Comment

Originally posted by tylerlough
                    Well I know you've seen more PSUs then me. I've actually only seen the inside of two PSUs. I don't really know what the inside of a good PSU looks like.
                    Here you go - this is a 600W Zippy: http://terasan.info/dengen/no076/index.html

I can make out UCC and Hitachi caps in there. Delta also has a good reputation: http://terasan.info/dengen/no082/index.html

I spotted a couple Turbolink reviews online once upon a time that had legible UL file numbers on them (beneath the backwards "UR" symbol, begins with an "e") - once I saw those it was an easy matter to do a certification search at www.ul.com to see what company they came from. It doesn't always help me track down the OEM, companies like PC Power and Cooling, Antec, and Vantec have their own number, but most of the time it works.

Comment

those are out of my price range, well not really but it is just more than I choose to spend. How good is Hipro compared to the mainstream brands like thermaltake, enermax, antec and FSP Group. Look they're cheap

Comment

Given the size of the heatsinks and the power transformer, I think 250W might be pushing your luck on the P/S that is in the pic. I'd rather have louder fan noise and good cooling than "quiet" fans (lower RPMs) and system reliability issues. Do the 6 Delta fans sound like a small helicopter, ?
                        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Do the 6 Delta fans sound like a small helicopter
                          no they sound like someone set fire to the beehive

more pics here
                          http://www.techmati.com/reviews/dl380g4/index.htm

actually looking at the photos it has 8 fans with the 3 redundant i put later.

it's a 20mm thick model I can't find a replacement for
                          i dont know how the vent looks but you could consider putting it on the outside of the unit (if you are talking about the rear fan).
                          Attached Files

Comment

Later today I'm going to pull that 20mm thick Yate Loon out of the PSU and try to replace the bearings I think from another 80mm fan I have lying around. Hopefully it'll work

those are out of my price range, well not really but it is just more than I choose to spend. How good is Hipro compared to the mainstream brands like thermaltake, enermax, antec and FSP Group. Look they're cheap
                            Zippy was out of my price range too last week - I bought another Fortron for my upgrade instead.

Not sure about Hipro these days... the only Hipro I've seen was in my old Compaq Deskpro, which is nowhere around here at the moment to check on it. It looked halfway decent in terms of build quality though.

Comment

Look they're cheap
                              You should keep in mind that a powersupply that can deliver 300 actual watts for power costs about 30$ to manufacture so looking at that page and seeing a "true 300 watt" psu for 8.99$ makes me want to kill somebody...

Granted this was a few years ago but development in this area is about as quick as that of the gasoline combustion engine so I would not be suprised if it costs more than 30$ to build it today...
                              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I was wondering about Hipro myself. My Compaq I use everyday has a Hipro and it has been running 27/7 since about March. Its only 250w and I added FX 5200, more memory and second hard drive and seems to do fine. Maybe they are so cheap because of mass production, being Compaq oem.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
                                  so I would not be suprised if it costs more than 30$ to build it today...
                                  In china the parts are dirt cheap and the labor is next to free (I feel bad for the workers). It also has no box, no cord and is possibly factory direct to newegg. I didn't really even look at the $8.99 one, it was this one that seemed good.

Comment

tylerlough; well, I'm probably not the one to listen to then. It's just that I would never buy a cheap powersupply, afterall, if it fails it can start a fire or destroy every component in your thousand dollar computer...
                                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
                                      tylerlough; well, I'm probably not the one to listen to then. It's just that I would never buy a cheap powersupply, afterall, if it fails it can start a fire or destroy every component in your thousand dollar computer...
                                      bingo!
                                      and no cheap plastic surge strips or ups either.
                                      ever see a wounded mov get pissed off?
                                      after repeated surges a mov will get leaky.
                                      they start heating up and can go incandecent.at well below the 15a breaker current.
                                      yes a little incendiary grenade in your 1.99 odd lots surge strip.

Comment

I don't believe in buying cheap crap that will break after 6 months, I just like to get the most for my money at a low cost. That is why I believe in buying japanese cars, they cost a little more up front but their the same or cheaper than domestic cars in the long run because resale value and are also better quality. This is just an example don't start flaming each other over it. I would have used a different example but could think of any others
                                        BTW I'm not that cheap, and I do realize the importance of a good PSU

Comment

Working...
                                        X