Olevia 265-t12 - no place to turn but the Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olevia 265-t12 - no place to turn but the Internet

Hello everyone. New to the forum here. Been loking for a solution but unable to find one. Someone sent me from rc forums and spoke highly of your community. I am really hoping someone can help me out.

The backstory....

I have an Olevia 265-t12 LCD that has been good for a few years. No known events but unexpectedly when I power on the TV, the Olevia splash screen comes on then the backlight goes out. Screen is dark.

I called out the Geek Squad and they came in, looked at the problem, said it was the inverter board and that they couldnt source the parts. Left and didnt charge me. I talked to a couple of shops around and they dont seem interested in looking at it because they cannot get parts. I was surprised I was dissuaded from bringing in the unit even from my mom and pop tv repair shop. I dont have many options....

So I have been searching the Internet and posting on forums and justanswer looking for some assistance. I check the Inverter and even replaced the master and the problem continues.

I am not sure how to troubleshoot this. I am not an EE but a network engineer so I am adept at troubleshooting process but can recognize when I am in over my head. When we get to LCD components....well I am in over my head.

Is there any kind soul out there that can help me isolate and ultimately fix the issue? It was a 2500 TV in 2008 and my wife will kill me if its dead already because getting this thing was a fight in the first place.

Anyway....I am losing hope and was hoping someone out there can give me some help and get this sucker showing my movies again. Help please?

Re: Olevia 265-t12 - no place to turn but the Internet

Originally posted by chcbearsfan View Post
    Hello everyone. New to the forum here. Been loking for a solution but unable to find one. Someone sent me from rc forums and spoke highly of your community. I am really hoping someone can help me out.

The backstory....

I have an Olevia 265-t12 LCD that has been good for a few years. No known events but unexpectedly when I power on the TV, the Olevia splash screen comes on then the backlight goes out. Screen is dark.

I called out the Geek Squad and they came in, looked at the problem, said it was the inverter board and that they couldnt source the parts. Left and didnt charge me. I talked to a couple of shops around and they dont seem interested in looking at it because they cannot get parts. I was surprised I was dissuaded from bringing in the unit even from my mom and pop tv repair shop. I dont have many options....

So I have been searching the Internet and posting on forums and justanswer looking for some assistance. I check the Inverter and even replaced the master and the problem continues.

I am not sure how to troubleshoot this. I am not an EE but a network engineer so I am adept at troubleshooting process but can recognize when I am in over my head. When we get to LCD components....well I am in over my head.

Is there any kind soul out there that can help me isolate and ultimately fix the issue? It was a 2500 TV in 2008 and my wife will kill me if its dead already because getting this thing was a fight in the first place.

Anyway....I am losing hope and was hoping someone out there can give me some help and get this sucker showing my movies again. Help please?
    It's not surprising that you got little help from the regular TV service shops. For economic reasons most of them are little better than board swappers. Your problem is often referred to as 'two seconds to black'.

Many manufacturers used different subassemblies in their TVs. The first thing I need is a picture of the back of your TV (with the back removed). If you can also provide a picture of the inverter, that will help.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
      It's not surprising that you got little help from the regular TV service shops. For economic reasons most of them are little better than board swappers. Your problem is often referred to as 'two seconds to black'.

Many manufacturers used different subassemblies in their TVs. The first thing I need is a picture of the back of your TV (with the back removed). If you can also provide a picture of the inverter, that will help.

PlainBill

Fantastic. I am at work but will get those pictures this evening
      Thanks so much

Comment

I attached the pictures of the back of the LCD and from what I can tell are the master and slave inverter boards. Each of these has an inverter board directly above and below.

Is the 2 seconds to black a typical easy fix? What am I looking at?

Thanks.
        Attached Files

Comment

I attached the pictures of the back of the LCD and from what I can tell are the master and slave inverter boards. Each of these has an inverter board directly above and below.

Thanks.
          Two seconds to black has several possible causes, including bad caps, bad transformer, bad CCFL, bad component in the protection circuit. The Cliffs Notes version - the inverter controller monitors the condition of the inverters. If any CCFL is drawing too much or too little current, it is shut down.

On the lower end of the transformers are four pins. These are PROBABLY the ends of the secondaries. Since I don't see any numbers, I will arbitrarily number them 1 thru 4 from left to right. Set your DMM to the 2K range and measure the resistance between pin 1 and pin 2, then between pin 3 and pin 4. Record the numbers, and repeat for the other 17 transformers. The readings should match to within 3%. If any reads open, or too low or too high, you have a bad transformer

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

2 seconds to black can be

a) bad caps
            b) bad inverter transformer
            c) bad ccfl and/or ccfl wiring

a) The caps on the inverter board are Rubycon ZLH so they are quality caps and should be okay.

b) Measure the resistance between the secondary inverter transformer pins on all your transformers. They should be within 3% of each other. On one 26 inch TV that I picked up, it has the same symptoms and one of the 4006A transformers has an open winding.

c) This one is harder to deal with on a TV versus lcd monitor.

More details about 2 seconds to black can be found in posts #13 and #14 at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419

edit: As I was writing this, I didn't see that PlainBill had already responded. Oh well, you got the same info just different wording.
            Last edited by retiredcaps; 10-07-2011, 10:31 PM. Reason: PlainBill already answered the question
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thank you both for such great responses. I am new to component troubleshooting so I apologize if any of my questions are remedial. Please bear with me, I will pick this up quickly.

Retiredcaps is correct. The capacitors say Rubycon ZLH and from my visual inspection I havent found any to be bulging or leaking. Although I know that may not be a tell all.

The transformers each have 4 soldered pins on the side which provides the power to the backlights. On the other side there are 6 pins that are soldered to the board. There appear to be other pins that are not soldered.

I am not sure which pins I should be testing. Can you help me clarify?

Also the board is RDENC2243TPZZ IM3818-1 on the master. The slave and other boards are the same board with the ending number changing (IM3818-2, IM3818-3, etc.)

The transformers themselves have a number stamped on them:
              NMB 0016
              L7717

I'll be glad to take more pictures and try to get clearer closer pictures on the componenets themselves if it helps.

Thanks alot for the help, its truly appreciated.

Comment

Thank you both for such great responses. I am new to component troubleshooting so I apologize if any of my questions are remedial. Please bear with me, I will pick this up quickly.

Retiredcaps is correct. The capacitors say Rubycon ZLH and from my visual inspection I havent found any to be bulging or leaking. Although I know that may not be a tell all.

The transformers each have 4 soldered pins on the side which provides the power to the backlights. On the other side there are 6 pins that are soldered to the board. There appear to be other pins that are not soldered.

I am not sure which pins I should be testing. Can you help me clarify?

Also the board is RDENC2243TPZZ IM3818-1 on the master. The slave and other boards are the same board with the ending number changing (IM3818-2, IM3818-3, etc.)

The transformers themselves have a number stamped on them:
                NMB 0016
                L7717

I'll be glad to take more pictures and try to get clearer closer pictures on the componenets themselves if it helps.

Thanks alot for the help, its truly appreciated.
                Sorry for my lack of clarity. I failed to notice the two pictures were inverted with respect to one another.

I've marked up the picture I was referring to, numbering the pins 1-4. Set your DMM to the 2000 (2K) ohms scale. Measure the resistance between pins 1 and 2 and also between pins 3 and 4 on every transformer (not just the two I marked), then report the readings. I note the transformers have identifying numbers (T21, T22, etc). Use the identifier when you report the resistances.

If by some chance the meter reads open on 1-2 and 3-4, try reading 1-4, then 2-3. If that is also open on both transformers, report and I'll give further instructions.

PlainBill
                Attached Files

Comment

I wonder if I am doing something wrong or if there is a problem with my multimeter.

I set the DMM to 2K and touch the tips together to confirm function and it moves from 1. to .000. it seems to pause for a brief second on .001 or .002 before zeroing out. If I set the DMM to 200 it gives me a reading of .4. The DMM I am using is a SPERRY DM-350A. Tests voltage fine. I have the red lead in the ohm out (looks like a horseshoe) and the black in the COM port.

If I try to set any combination of pins 1-4 the meter does not move at the 2K or the 200. If I check the fuses (thats what they look like anyway) I receive a consistent reading of .5 on all three on the board I tested (the master).

I checked both a mounted and unmounted inverter boards but not with power on it. Do I need to have it powered up?

Thanks

Comment

If I try to set any combination of pins 1-4 the meter does not move at the 2K or the 200.

I checked both a mounted and unmounted inverter boards but not with power on it. Do I need to have it powered up?
                    It looks like your multimeter is working fine and you are doing the measurements correctly.

Resistance is always measured with power off and device unplugged.

If you are getting "1" on the left hand side, it means we have not identified the correct secondary pins. What we are trying to do is identify the secondary pins as per (this isn't your transformer, but just an example)

http://lcdparts.net/TransformerDetai...ProductID=3191

What is the writing on the transformer?
                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks, I figured the power is supposed to be off but I dont want to make any assumptions. The markings on the transformer is "NMB 0016 L7717" and it has NMB stamped on the end of each coil. I feel like I have tried every combination on the thing but still not getting any readings other than the 1.

Comment

I feel like I have tried every combination on the thing but still not getting any readings other than the 1.
                        Okay, let's try brute force. Report all readings for all combinations by following section 4 at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...1&postcount=14
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

To be crystal clear, you now have 10 pins to measures for each transformer. The 4 PlainBill numbered and the "top" 6. So you need to measure

1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 1-5, 1-6, 1-7, 1-8, 1-9, 1-10
                          2-3, 2-4, etc, 2-10
                          3-4
                          9-10

edit: and you want your multimeter set on 2,000 (2K) ohms for all these tests.
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

And reexamining the picture, the pin in the upper right corner is clearly marked 1. By the usual convention, numbering is counter-clockwise, so the pin I called 1 is actually 7.

PlainBill

Comment

If the pins on the transformer have any kind of 'crap' on them you may need to scrape it off,It will give you a better shot at getting a reading.
                              Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

So measuring just pin one against all I get the following in sequence I get the following. The first number is red probe, the second is black probe and the output after the equal.

Capacitor T5 on the master board 3818-1

1-2 = 1.
                                1-3 = .001
                                1-4 = .000
                                1-5 = 1.
                                1-6 = .001
                                1-7 = 1.
                                1-8 = 1.
                                1-9 = 1.
                                1-10 = 1.

2-1 = 1.
                                2-3 = 1.
                                2-4 = 1.
                                2-5 = .598
                                2-6 = 1.
                                2-7 = 1.
                                2-8 = 1.
                                2-9 = 1.
                                2-10 = 1.

3-1 = .001
                                3-2 = 1.
                                3-4 = .001
                                3-5 = 1.
                                3-6 = .000
                                3-7 = 1.
                                3-8 = 1.
                                3-9 = 1.
                                3-10 = 1.

4-1 = .000
                                4-2 = 1.
                                4-3 = .001
                                4-5 = 1.
                                4-6 = .001
                                4-7 = 1.
                                4-8 = 1.
                                4-9 = 1.
                                4-10 = 1.

5-1 = .1
                                5-2 = .598
                                5-3 = 1.
                                5-4 = 1.
                                5-6 = 1.
                                5-7 = 1.
                                5-8 = 1.
                                5-9 = 1.
                                5-10 = 1.

6-1 = .001
                                6-2 = 1.
                                6-3 = .000
                                6-4 = .001
                                6-5 = 1.
                                6-7 = 1.
                                6-8 = 1.
                                6-9 = 1.
                                6-10 = 1.

7-1 = 1.
                                7-2 = 1.
                                7-3 = 1.
                                7-4 = 1.
                                7-5 = 1.
                                7-6 = 1.
                                7-8 = 1.
                                7-9 = 1.
                                7-10 = 1.

8-1 = 1.
                                8-2 = 1.
                                8-3 = 1.
                                8-4 = 1.
                                8-5 = 1.
                                8-6 = 1.
                                8-7 = 1.
                                8-9 = 1.
                                8-10 = 1.

9-1 = 1.
                                9-2 = 1.
                                9-3 = 1.
                                9-4 = 1.
                                9-5 = 1.
                                9-6 = 1.
                                9-7 = 1.
                                9-8 = 1.
                                9-10 = 1.

10-1 = 1.
                                10-2 = 1.
                                10-3 = 1.
                                10-4 = 1.
                                10-5 = 1.
                                10-6 = 1.
                                10-7 = 1.
                                10-8 = 1.
                                10-9 = 1.

Comment

You may need to retest it on the 20K range.
                                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

What should I be expecting to see? The 1. should have value or the .000/.001 should have more specific value? It looks like there is continuity between 1-3-4-6 and 2-5 but nothing to 7-8-9-10.

Comment

What should I be expecting to see? The 1. should have value or the .000/.001 should have more specific value? It looks like there is continuity between 1-3-4-6 and 2-5 but nothing to 7-8-9-10.
                                      Values from 1.00k to 10.00k are typically expected for those types of transformers.
                                      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

2-5 = .598
                                        Okay, 2-5 is your magic combination. Test every inverter transformer with pin 2-5 combo. If 598 ohms is the "correct" reading, every measurement should be +/- 3%.
                                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                        X