Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silverstone ST56F with Teapo capacitors – Is there any need for replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silverstone ST56F with Teapo capacitors – Is there any need for replacement?

Hi there,

My new SilverStone power supply model ST56F is using Teapo caps in both of its filtrating stage. Just curious if the Teapo caps still are garbage or become better quality in recent years. Is there any need of Teapo replacement from my side? I have purchase this ST56F model for $ 77.

Thanking you so much.

Re: Silverstone ST56F with Teapo capacitors – Is there any need for replacement?

Teapo are not the worst out there, and will probably survive in most well-designed and well-ventilated PSUs. However, if you've got the PSU out and opened, you might as well use the opportunity to replace the caps as a preventive measure.

Comment

Re: Silverstone ST56F with Teapo capacitors – Is there any need for replacement?

>Is there any need of Teapo replacement from my side?

no

>you might as well use the opportunity to replace the caps as a preventive measure.

there are some chances he would even increase the ripple by doing that....

Comment

^^

Hes right, on jonnyguru he recapped a psu (can't remember what it was,) and it got even worse ripple than before. Teapos will be fine in a nicely designed and cooled psu like that silverstone.

Comment

Was a Fortron Bluestorm or something like that..

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
            ^^

Hes right, on jonnyguru he recapped a psu (can't remember what it was,) and it got even worse ripple than before. Teapos will be fine in a nicely designed and cooled psu like that silverstone.
            Was the test repeatable on an identical psu? Age of capacitors/Burn in? Maybe bad source of capacitors?

Comment

i think it was actually two psus(one was fortron, yes) but can't now be bothered to find the link...because i remember how j.guru site looks rather disorganized once you start looking for that particular article...is it under articles, under reviews...
              only heavens knows...

yeah, screw the google too for making me use my brain...give me a fuckin' rest...
              <wink>

Comment

I've seen the article several months ago. IMO their experiment was flawed.

Comment

why would that be?

all they did was change the caps and measure the ripple....

how would you do it?

Comment

I believe he changed the caps to UCC, so they did use good caps.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory&ndar_id=8

It was an Antec Neo, yup, replaced with UCC's. From those heatsinks, that antec looks like a Deer?

The second one is a 600w FSP recapped with UCC's, and thats the one with worse ripple afterwards.

Comment

Does this FSP have CLC filter network? Sometimes these uses specific capacitors to damp out the ripples/noise without need of a CLC filter network (pokey indeed).

What I refer by this is capacitor then inductor, then cap in series. Plus a inductor after the diode as well to keep diode from over heating from sharp transtitions.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

yes, like i said there were two(both got worse ripple afterwards), and both got increased ripple after being recapped with those top caps everybody here likes so much...(except me...muahahahaha...)

it seems recapping should be done with the help of scope, but then it alse means you need some load, and that just makes it "bleeeaahhhh"....

OR, recapping should be done with new caps that have same esr as original caps when they were new....

wolf(if he wrote it...don't see signature) said it well
                        "What can be done about the ripple then? Well, short of a total redesign on the pi filters, nothing. And that redesign must be done at the factory I'm afraid."

teapos are good in psus, end of story...i have them in my fortron and i won't be touching them unless they bulge, and chances are they won't....i equaly won't be making load tester or making one...fuck it....i trust fortron...

Comment

yes it worse then before it recapped but it was negligible/small i wont call it "worse".
                          days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

so would you call it "better" or "the same"?
                            hehe...

Comment

Originally posted by i4004
                              i think it was actually two psus(one was fortron, yes) but can't now be bothered to find the link...because i remember how j.guru site looks rather disorganized once you start looking for that particular article...is it under articles, under reviews...
                              only heavens knows...

yeah, screw the google too for making me use my brain...give me a fuckin' rest...
                              <wink>
                              It's under articles because it isn't a review

The units in question were an FSP Epsilon variant and an Antec Neopower 480W. Caps used were limited to what I could get my hands on at the time. My first choices in caps weren't available.

Comment

Originally posted by Oklahoma Wolf
                                It's under articles because it isn't a review

The units in question were an FSP Epsilon variant and an Antec Neopower 480W. Caps used were limited to what I could get my hands on at the time. My first choices in caps weren't available.
                                Wolf, now that we have choices what would should be? Just to hear and for curiosity.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

I noticed that too!

Worse ripple after a recap that is.

Right after I had finished building my PSU load tester, I obtained 2 brand new identical Enhance 300w PSUs for about $10 each.

They tested the same, actually not bad at all.

So I recapped one and surprise! Higher ripple.
                                  I had taken out Teapo and maybe some Ltec and put in mostly Nichicon PW, a Rubycon MBZ and a UCC KZJ. The MBZ was on 5VSB, 12, 5 and 3.3v were all PW series. I didn't have an ESR meter at the time.

Testing them against each other was a lesson in humility.

Similar results from pulling the OST out of an Antec Earthwatts. Put them back in, back to normal.

The ripple is still well within ATX spec but this unexpected outcome was puzzling.

On another note, recapping a 300w Allied PSU had no ill effects. Replacing the "YC" (or CY?) brand caps with PW series had no effect on ripple. The ESR on the YC caps was pretty close to that of the Nichicon PW ones.

Have Fun,
                                  Keri

PS. I just started on building PSU load tester #2 with Analog panel meters instead of Digital.
                                  Last edited by KeriJane; 04-29-2009, 05:24 PM.
                                  The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

>It's under articles because it isn't a review

articles has 4 subcategories, and it's not in the "troubleshooting" but in "diy"...
                                    and it's named "Capacitors and the Computer PSU"

frankly, the last place to look..hehe...that subject looks like it's theory of operation of capacitors..

anyho, it's located now...

>Wolf, now that we have choices what would should be?

well, now he would put caps with even lower esr, for even more ripple, offcourse...
                                    <wink>

>PS. I just started on building PSU load tester #2 with Analog panel meters instead of Digital.

can it also go higher with the load?
                                    500-600w at least?

Comment

Hi i4004!

No, it won't be any higher in load because I'm using the same housing and it has a limited amount of room for the power resistors...
                                      The totals are:

12v+ has 4 50w resistors at 4a each for 192w total
                                      5v+ has 3 25w resistors at 5a each for 75w total
                                      3.3v+ has 3 20w resistors at 6a each for 54w total
                                      12v- has 1 10w resistor at .4a for 3w total
                                      5vSB has 1 10w resistor at .5a for 2.5w total

There is room for 2 more resistors so there is a little room for increase...
                                      Any suggestion as for which voltage?

The whole point of constructing it was to provide a reasonable load to stress the PSU for testing. It was not intended to test PSUs at maximum capacity or burn them out. Well, not on purpose anyway. It did kinda smoke that old 185w Gateway PSU.... but only at 134w!

Have Fun!
                                      Keri
                                      The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
                                        Wolf, now that we have choices what would should be? Just to hear and for curiosity.

Cheers, Wizard
                                        It's been a while, but IIRC what I asked for were Panasonic FC. Nichicon PW was also discussed if memory serves.

Comment

Working...
                                        X