Laptop screen lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Laptop screen lines

Forgot to add... there wasn't any thermal paste on the CPU before? (strange...)

So a drop of Arctic silver ceramique did the trick.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

A roach probably took out the screen. I hate shit that had bugs in it. So many random failures. I would want my money back from the bug guy. Would never repair the shit that had bugs in it either. Laptops with bugs were the worst.

Comment

Oh well... $60 so I can't really complain.

But I have a problem now...

Um. the CPU fan goes into high after about 10 seconds of booting and CPU speed is down to only 600MHz... what the hell?

It didn't do this (IIRC) before I took it apart...

Even removing the CMOS battery doesnt change anything.
        Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

sounds like the heatsink isnt attached properly somehow..?

Comment

I've checked the heatsink and it's attached properly. I also performed a BIOS update to no help.

Damn. I feel like just selling this thing off again. It simply isn't worth the effort. Seller doesn't want to talk to me so it doesn't really help.

EDIT: I've also discovered that the USB ports don't work.

Comment

Well I have a way around the USB issue... get a $5 USB PCMCIA card... no biggie there. Now that fan issue... how to fix?

Comment

I ran i8kfanGUI and the thing is stuck on 85. no up and no down? Faulty CPU? or motherboard?

Comment

By the way... main purpose of this laptop: to type lecture notes in uni using MS word and also to browse the net. That's about it.

So basically speaking... I can live with the CPU running at 600MHz without too much harm. Though I will need to solve the USB issue first. I have however tested the PCMCIA slot and it seems to be working fine with my wi-fi card.

But still... I would prefer to find a fix around the CPU fan issue.

Comment

you got ripped off by that guy. LIAR!

he won't talk because he doesn't want to. i wonder how the fraud laws work down under?
                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                      you got ripped off by that guy. LIAR!

he won't talk because he doesn't want to. i wonder how the fraud laws work down under?
                      Yes, I realise I've been ripped off.

And no, fraud laws won't cover second hand items.

Oh well...

And yes, it's up for sale now (as a faulty item of course).

Comment

Don't say we didn't warn you.

Comment

Originally posted by NxB
                          Don't say we didn't warn you.
                          Yes, I was warned but obviously didn't listen. Lesson learnt.

Looks like that new screen my friend gave me isn't much help either...

Comment

new item for target practice?

when you buy, ALWAYS bring things to test with BEFORE you buy. if seller won't let you, walk away. they are hiding something.
                            sigpic

Comment

Well... usually my drill is if it POSTs and loads Windows then it's good... well NOT anymore!

If it were a desktop I'd open the side cover up and peer inside, but this was a laptop so couldn't do that.

You know what? The bottom bit of the internal metal frame is rusted... I suspect liquid damage... possibly a bowl of soup or something (due to the roaches + smell).

I'm using my Inspiron 4000 now and I'd have to say it's wayyy faster... and this is only a P3 700...

Comment

A complete working laptop was less than twice the price.

Comment

Check to make sure that all the wires are still good on the cpu fan. If by accident, the signal wire isn't making good contact somewhere, the mobo may just be supplying full volatage to the fan, which means full speed.

You may also want to look in the bios for a fan speed setting, or fan monitoring for the cpu fan, and see if something went wrong there.

Comment

Originally posted by NxB
                                    A complete working laptop was less than twice the price.
                                    actually a complete working one on eBay au was 220 or so...

Comment

as for the usb, can you use a mutimeter or something else to verify 5v+ on the ports? it may have blown the fuse, which can be replaced via solder.
                                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                                        as for the usb, can you use a mutimeter or something else to verify 5v+ on the ports? it may have blown the fuse, which can be replaced via solder.
                                        Nope, there's no +5V on any port whatsoever. I think its blown a fuse somewhere. But I can't be bothered anymore... it's now for sale so yeah.

But as for the CPU temperature... is it the CPU that reports the temperatures? or is it the motherboard? (not that it matters now anyway).

Comment

Okay... it's sold as of today. I got $71 for it... which is a profit of $11 thanks to eBay.

Comment

Working...
                                          X