This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post your system.......

I am trying to play games that only run under Windows 95/98. Also, that computer's onboard video can not be disabled. The Compaq has the best graphics chip. The Gateway has poor 2D video performance and the HP does not display 3D graphics or resolutions below 800x600 properly.
    Last edited by lti; 08-18-2011, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
      I am trying to play games that only run under Windows 95/98. Also, that computer's onboard video can not be disabled.
      pci video card? or did compaq only allow that on the deskpro?
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I did install a PCI video card and both the onboard video and the PCI card displayed an image at the same time. However, games ran slower, Windows claimed that the SiS 5598 driver files were missing, and 3D graphics caused the computer to freeze.

Comment

I did install a PCI video card and both the onboard video and the PCI card displayed an image at the same time. However, games ran slower, Windows claimed that the SiS 5598 driver files were missing, and 3D graphics caused the computer to freeze.
          considering that it has SIS graphics, I am not surprised.

Back then, presarios were crap... some even had cardboard air ducts!
          sigpic

Comment

compaq presarios are still junk to this day.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
              compaq presarios are still junk to this day.
              the Athlon and pIII systems with amd chipsets were not bad after a recap.

the 5000 (amd) had stripped down FIC boards... they still had 3 pc133 slots and AGP. used to have one, was traded for an Emachine with an intel board.

The intel based 5000? junk. no AGP (4x pci), 2 sdram slots, meh.

the 7000 was weird... the PIII version had a board of unknown OEM (Elise 2) but was reliable after a recap. In fact, one was my first successful recap. my only beef with the pIII was that they used tiny foxconn coolers... good fans, tiny heatsink. that, and the boards had no 512mb pc133 module support (bios issue, chipset could handle it).

If I only knew who made the ELISE 2 board...

pic:

its not my pic... but see what I mean about the bad caps and tiny stock cooler?

the plus was that it had 4 usb and 2 firewire by default (evenly split front and back). the minus is the usb header uses a bizzare pinout identical to the oddball FIC amd board in the 5000.

also, this board has an weird connector for what my research tells me is some kind of lcd front panel... only seen this mentioned once so i don't know about the validity of it .

edit- I also found the poorly written service manual for it...
              Attached Files
              Last edited by ratdude747; 08-19-2011, 03:50 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                If I only knew who made the ELISE 2 board...
                Mitac
                http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/mo.../Mitac/6513VX/

Fan should be fine for P-III. - Plenty of fins there if you have a good fan.
                Other than the 800 and 866 Coppermine-T all the socket 370 CPUs were 33 watts or less - including Tualatin 'S' versions.
                - That's less TDP than the T7700 in your laptop.

You do want a good fan on it though.
                Some cheap P-III coolers come with crap 10 CFM fans. [Junk]
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

Years ago my brother gave me a way over clocked AMD/K6/2 PC. He had ditched the little CPU fan all together. He had cut a hole on the side of the case and mounted a large case fan blowing directly on the CPU heat sink. It worked great for a few months then I killed it. The large fan went bad and I kept running the PC. It lasted and hour or so then the CPU burnt out. Got to keep those fans a blowing you know.
                  Last edited by Junk Parts; 08-19-2011, 07:13 AM.
                  "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                  Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                  John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                  Rod Serling

Comment

I haven't seen a Compaq that worked properly. They were always slow and unstable.

This computer originally had a Cyrix MII CPU and a big passive heatsink. I reused the heatsink and added a fan. The fan is powered by a homemade fan controller based on a Microchip TC648B IC with a temperature alarm.

Comment

Mitac is the parent company of Tyan so if that board doesn't run good it's probably the POS Compaq BIOS.
                      Mann-Made Global Warming.
                      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

I haven't seen a Compaq that worked properly. They were always slow and unstable.
                        I had to work on one a few years ago. It was exactly as you stated. It wasn't even mine, but this is what I wanted to do to it:
                        Recovering a BEFSR41 v1 and v2 router from solid red DIAG Light
                        I have two v2s and one v1.

I am still looking at these boards nearly every day.

What I'm doing: Planning an upgrade of my mining setup from Block Erupters to Red Furys. Though, if the Block Erupters don't sell, I will keep using them for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                          Mitac
                          http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/mo.../Mitac/6513VX/

Fan should be fine for P-III. - Plenty of fins there if you have a good fan.
                          Other than the 800 and 866 Coppermine-T all the socket 370 CPUs were 33 watts or less - including Tualatin 'S' versions.
                          - That's less TDP than the T7700 in your laptop.

You do want a good fan on it though.
                          Some cheap P-III coolers come with crap 10 CFM fans. [Junk]
                          the board is cumine only... and the lin-lin is not bootable.

no bios anywhere... so it is stuck at max 768mb.

the stock cooler was gutted years ago... I put the fan on a pII cooler used on an athlon classic.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by holmes222 View Post
                            E5300 oc'ed @3,4ghz
                            ASUS P5E X38 mod to RAMPAGE FORMULA bios
                            4x512mb DDR2 ECC PC5300
                            Galaxy 9800GX2
                            ZEUS 850W -ST85ZF
                            Samsung 19" LCD
                            2x80GB raid0 2,5" seagate momentus 5400.3
                            1,5TB WDC Grenn Storage
                            no case ..for better airflow

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                            you realize that that motherboard has no ECC support. Your ram might have it, but its not being used
                            yea..doesn't matter ..no spare memory kit here

Comment

Here's the Pentium 3 computer at my grandmother's house in the countryside:

- 933 MHz Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 133 MHz FBS
                              - Gigabyte GA-60XT ATX motherboard (Socket 370)
                              - 512 MB SDRAM @ 133 MHz (2x 128 MB and 1x 256 MB)
                              - ATI Radeon 7200 with 64 MB video RAM
                              - 1x 17 GB Seagate ST317221A, 1x 20 GB Maxtor 5T020H2 (Diamondmax VL-40)
                              - Yamaha DS-XG (DS1x??) PCI audio
                              - LG CED-8080B CD-RW (W @ 8x, RW @ 4x, R @ 32x)
                              - 250W Deer DR-250ATX (partially recaped, most voltages are spot-on ATX specification)
                              - HP A4032A 17" CRT monitor (Sony Trinitron M41KKA16X - very old, manufactured in 1994 - made to last)
                              - Windows XP SP2

I think this is the only computer that I don't change the hardware that often. Then again, I only go there for a few weeks every year, and that's when I usually use it.

One thing I absolutely love about this computer is the audio. That Yamaha audio card has a built-in amp - probably a TDA1517 or something similar because the audio output can be turned very very LOUD. At just quarter volume (half Master, half Wave), my headphones sound like speakers and I can't keep them over my years (they are old, over-the-head type, not some crappy earbuds). Not only that, but the bass output is excellent. So far, I haven't actually found any audio card that can output this kind of bass (perhaps SB cards can?). The audio quality is great as well and many times better than most integrated audio ones I've heard.
                              If I could find another of those Yamaha audio cards, I'd definitely buy it.

The case, on the other hand, is the most disappointing item about this computer. It actually has a good internal layout and visually looks okay, but what good is that when the steel it's made from is no thicker than a tin can. Add to that lots of sharp edges around every corner. The hardware that came with the case was also rather disappointing - lots of M3 screws for the 5.25" drives, but only a few for hard drives. Even worse, there were only 2 metal standoffs for the motherboard - the rest were all plastic stand-offs. As a result, I got some minor garbage sounds in my audio until I installed more metal stand-offs.
                              If you see a case like this or one from the same manufacturer (the logo looks like a yin yang symbol), definitely avoid it.

I included a few pics of the computer (taken this summer). I think this will be its final look. It hasn't changed much other than the LG CED-8080B CD-RW drive that I added this summer (along with the 20 GB Maxtor and a 128 MB stick). It probably would stay like this for a few more years if not more.

By the way, the LG CD drive is also a favorite of mine. It's very quiet and reads everything I throw at it - even stuff that other drives may not be able to read. Never got a coaster from it, either.
                              I got this one for free on Craigslist because the belt for the tray mechanism was missing. I found a rubber band that fit and the drive has been working fine for 2 years now.
                              I have another one in a different computer that I have been using for even longer. Same results, though - quiet and reliable drive.

Originally posted by holmes222
                              no case ..for better airflow
                              Nice. Just don't sneeze or bring any drinks near it.
                              By the way, for the metal piece that holds the motherboard is installed in - was that part of a normal case that you cut out? If so, that's a really neat idea, especially for testing motherboards.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by momaka; 09-02-2011, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                By the way, for the metal piece that holds the motherboard is installed in - was that part of a normal case that you cut out? If so, that's a really neat idea, especially for testing motherboards.
                                I did have one of those once...

what I did was I had the large removable mobo plate from an old atx case and I put the standoffs in backwards, securing them to the plate with screws. that way I could set the board on it quickly.

I stole the front panel I/O a long time ago... I still have the plate somewhere.
                                sigpic

Comment

- 250W Deer DR-250ATX
                                  That's the same one I had with my Athlon 900 Mhz! (Used from 2001 to July, 2002. )

Then when I inspected it one day, a while after I stopped using it, the caps looked fine, but saw darkening around what appears to be resistors.
                                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                    That's the same one I had with my Athlon 900 Mhz! (Used from 2001 to July, 2002. )
                                    Then when I inspected it one day, a while after I stopped using it, the caps looked fine, but saw darkening around what appears to be resistors.
                                    Those are the minimum load resistors - very common on cheap PSUs. I removed them for the very same reason. They aren't quite useless since they provide a minimum load and stabilize the outputs, but they heat up so bad, I'm sure they do more damage than good. In my case, the wires on the 3.3v rail were scorched. Not sure how the caps next to that one survived. Regardless, I changed those resistors with the following:
                                    47 Ohm on the 3.3v rail, 150 Ohm o 5v rail, and 2x 1 kOhm in parallel on 12v rail. The rest were okay IIRC.

Comment

Nice. Just don't sneeze or bring any drinks near it.
                                      he2..
                                      yup ..thats the part of normal case from old desktop ..cut it into small part only for accomodate motherboard ..inspired by expensive bench table ..whahaha

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                      I did have one of those once...

what I did was I had the large removable mobo plate from an old atx case and I put the standoffs in backwards, securing them to the plate with screws. that way I could set the board on it quickly.

I stole the front panel I/O a long time ago... I still have the plate somewhere.
                                      nice ..caseless cpu

Comment

Originally posted by holmes222 View Post

nice ..caseless cpu
                                        It was a test board... nothing permanent.
                                        sigpic

Comment

You may have seen my earlier post, but you will be happy to know I have retired both of those machines. Now, here is my main pc specs:
                                          My main PC: Intel D875PBZ desktop board, 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 HT, 2GB DDR RAM (4x 512MB Dual Channel), WDC WD2500JD SATA HD (primary), WDC WD800JD SATA HD (secondary), HP dvd640 LightScribe DVD+RW drive, ATi Radeon 9000 64MB AGP, SB Live Value, Thermaltake Purepower 350W, all housed in a beat up Antec SX1030b case (black with side window) OS: Windows XP MCE 2005
                                          Yeah, I'm not THAT rich...

Comment

Working...
                                          X