This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post your system.......

as a little tip, for older cases with a tradtionally mounted PSU, if you have an open 5.25" bay, they make a good place to stash extra wires and whatnot... my two main desktops both have that issue and thats how i fixed it.

c_hegge, nice build. well done.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
      as a little tip, for older cases with a tradtionally mounted PSU, if you have an open 5.25" bay, they make a good place to stash extra wires and whatnot...
      Heh, I always do that too
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

as a little tip, for older cases with a tradtionally mounted PSU, if you have an open 5.25" bay, they make a good place to stash extra wires and whatnot... my two main desktops both have that issue and thats how i fixed it.
        +2
        That's where I hide mine too.
        I guess one good thing about cheap PSUs is that they don't have many cables to hide . The Deer PSU I use in my Pentium 3 PC has only 1x 20 pin main connector, 4x drive connectors, 1x floppy. That's it .

c_hegge, I really like how you rigged the LEDs on your exhaust fan. Very nice!

By the way, I have a "new" (less shitty) gaming computer . Specs:
        motherboard: ESC P4VXASD+ (S478, 2x DDR, 2x SD RAM, 4x AGP, USB 2.0)
        CPU: 2.66 GHz Pentium 4 Northwood underclocked to 2 GHz
        RAM: Corsair 1 GB PC3200 running @ PC2100
        Hard Drive: 40 GB Seagate Barracuda
        Video: MSI GeForce FX5600 (128 MB VRAM, undercloked memory and core clock for stability reasons)
        Audio: onboard VT1612A AC'97 via VIA VT8235 SB
        Optical drives: 40X Lite-ON CD-ROM (only installed temporarily)
        PSU: 250W Dell (HiPro) HP-P2507F3P
        case: good old white generic stuff. Has a FreeBSD sticker on front. Might a Fry's special. Probably a Cyberlink judging by the original PSU, though. It's missing a side too (found it that way).

The core components for this computer actually came from the dumpster. See this thread:
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=157
        PSU is my former test PSU, seen here:
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=228
        The CPU I picked up at Micro Center for ~$5. Runs much cooler than the original 1.7 GHz Willamate. Can't even get it to reach 40C when inside temperature is ~22C. I got the GeForce FX5600 also for $5 via CL. Keyboard, mouse and HD were trash picks from work. Monitor is 21" Dell (Sony) Trinitron D1626HT CRT.

It plays games better than my last gaming computer and is more quiet. In particular, Half-Life 2 Deathmatch runs much better due to faster CPU. I'm very happy .
        Last edited by momaka; 12-28-2011, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Here's my new box, courtesy of Christmas-

Same case as before, but now...

AMD Phenom II x4 970 Black Edition (3.5ghz) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103894
          MSI 870A-G46 Motherboard (with all solid caps) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130591
          8gb of GSkill DDR3 (not sure of the specs)
          Logisys "575w" PSU (max sustained output, 450w) <- this is getting replaced as soon as I have the money to get a nice modular supply.
          (1) WD 750gb Black HD as primary
          (1) Seagate 2tb "Green" drive as storage
          MSI 460GTX Hawk video card

All in all, it's running GREAT. One surprise is that my old 420w PSU wasn't enough to power the system under load. I kept getting random crashes and BSODs. Switched to the Logisys and everything smoothed right out. I say surprised, because the Logisys' +12v rail is actually rated LOWER than the 420w. Most of the amperage is made up on the 3.3 and 5v rails.

Now, under load, the +12v is dipping to 11.67v (as measured with my multimeter), which I'm not too happy about. So, like I said, it'll be replaced
          Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

looks sweet minus the PSU.

what kind of opticals you running there?
            sigpic

Comment

looks sweet minus the PSU.

what kind of opticals you running there?
              Just one... it's a cheap DVD DL SATA Burner. Not sure what brand, but it always works!
              Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

nice one!
                That PSU makes me puke but other that that looks like an awesome system!

Comment

Originally posted by dood View Post
                  Just one... it's a cheap DVD DL SATA Burner. Not sure what brand, but it always works!
                  thats cool... my main rig has twin sata dl burners, both liteon made (one's an asus, but the OEM is liteon). don't have the $ or the need for blu-ray.
                  sigpic

Comment

Blue-ray in a computer is pretty useless IMO,except in HTPCs...

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                      2 things:

1. movies
                      2. data backup
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                        Agree.
                        Discs are too expensive for backup use.
                        A hard drive is better. Better yet a dedicated NAS.
                        An old PII could do that and cost less than the RW burner.
                        The only time I'd ever use a Blue-Ray is for a movie that I couldn't get on DVD.
                        That hasn't happened yet.
                        Mann-Made Global Warming.
                        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                        -

Comment

At least that PSU isn't a Leadman or Awfull Power
                          Last edited by ratdude747; 12-29-2011, 08:41 PM.
                          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                            At least that PSU isn't a Leadman or Awfull Power
                            you mean sledgehammer bait?
                            sigpic

Comment

Nah, more like load tester bait.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

a BOOMbox

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                    you mean sledgehammer bait?
                                    Nah, more like load tester bait.
                                    that came from one of my first threads back in early 2009 (or late 2008, i can't remember)... back when I was a noob... silly me asked about recapping a 400W A-Power, and the only advice I got was to sledgehammer it... and from multiple members.

Ironically I still have the guts (or lack thereof) from it, kept as a memento from my past as a noob.
                                    sigpic

Comment

The poor Logisys' feelings are getting hurt here...

Why is it that a cheapo PSU rated at 25a +12v can keep my system stable, when a PCP&C supply rated at 30A +12v can't?
                                      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Originally posted by dood View Post
                                        The poor Logisys' feelings are getting hurt here...

Why is it that a cheapo PSU rated at 25a +12v can keep my system stable, when a PCP&C supply rated at 30A +12v can't?
                                        Perhaps it has to do with 3.3v, 5v or 5vsb.
                                        FYI: Most people miss this:
                                        There is a minimum amps required on +5vsb for mobos but only [that I've seen] Intel ever mentions it by amps.
                                        The other manufacturers just tell you what ATX PSU spec your PSU needs to be to cover that. The PSU spec they say to use will have a minimum +5vsb requirement good enough for the board.
                                        - For example..
                                        ATX12V 1.1 , +5vsb , 1.0a [required] , 2.0a [recommended]
                                        ATX12V 2.01 , +5vsb , 2.0a [required] [2.5a for 500mS max.]
                                        ATX12V 2.2 , +5vsb , 2.5a [required] [3.5a for 3 seconds max.]
                                        - Some of my server boards require 3a continuous on +5vsb.
                                        If your board actually uses around 2.5a 5vsb and you're sporting an ATX12V 2.01 PSU then it being unstable wouldn't surprise me too much.
                                        I see a lot of people show up here with blown +5vsb.
                                        It get's blamed on crap +5vsb design.
                                        Very often it happens when using an older PSU on a newer board.
                                        - I think the 5vsb gets blown most often by cheaping-out and reusing an old spec PSU on a new spec board when the old PSU isn't rated for enough 5vsb amps in the first place.
                                        - That's user/tech error. Not a 5vsb design problem.
                                        Last edited by PCBONEZ; 12-30-2011, 09:27 AM.
                                        Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                        -

Comment

Well, lets take a look.

Logisys Specs - +3.3@30A, +5V@38A, +12V@25A, -12V@0.8A, -5@0.5A, +5VSB@2A

PCP&C specs - +3.3@20A, +5V@20A, +12V@30A, -12V @ 0.8A, +5VSB@2.5A

So, the Logisys is rated higher on +3.3 and +5. Now, I would've figured that with my mobo/cpu upgrade, the bulk of the load would be on +12 and the others would've remained relatively consistant from the old system... I actually dropped from 3 hard drives to 2, and removed a PCI RAID controller.

The only other thing I can think of is the lack of an 8 pin Aux connector on the PCP&C supply. However, the board came with a cap on half of that connector if you only want to use a 4 pin, so I'd think that would be fine.

*shrugs* I'll just get a bigger supply in a month or so, and the PCP&C has become a good spare.
                                          Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Working...
                                          X