No announcement yet.

Windows 10 benefits - Are there any?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows 10 benefits - Are there any?

Originally posted by stj View Post
    gotta love that "NSAtc.net" address!!!
    m$ needs to go fuck themselves.
    Not all of that is telemetry. For example MSN Search and NCSI, as well as "watson" crash reporting. nsatc.net is normal I think.
    Last edited by yuhong; 05-19-2016, 04:40 PM.

Comment

hello.

nsatc.net = scum looking at what software,fims,audio you have by the look of this:
      Domain Name: nsatc.net
      Registry Domain ID: 77842413_DOMAIN_NET-VRSN
      Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.markmonitor.com
      Registrar URL: http://www.markmonitor.com
      Updated Date: 2016-02-17T04:00:41-0800
      Creation Date: 2001-09-26T17:25:53-0700
      Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2016-09-26T17:25:53-0700
      Registrar: MarkMonitor, Inc.
      Registrar IANA ID: 292
      Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abusecomplaints@markmonitor.com
      Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.2083895740
      Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited (https://www.icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited)
      Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited (https://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited)
      Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited (https://www.icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited)
      Registry Registrant ID:
      Registrant Name: Domain Administrator
      Registrant Organization: Level 3 Communications, LLC
      Registrant Street: 1025 El Dorado Blvd.,
      Registrant City: Broomfield
      Registrant State/Province: CO
      Registrant Postal Code: 80021
      Registrant Country: US
      Registrant Phone: +1.7208881000
      Registrant Phone Ext:
      Registrant Fax: +1.7208885619
      Registrant Fax Ext:
      Registrant Email: domainregistar@level3.com
      Registry Admin ID:
      Admin Name: Domain Administrator
      Admin Organization: Level 3 Communications, LLC
      Admin Street: 1025 El Dorado Blvd.,
      Admin City: Broomfield
      Admin State/Province: CO
      Admin Postal Code: 80021
      Admin Country: US
      Admin Phone: +1.7208881000
      Admin Phone Ext:
      Admin Fax: +1.7208885619
      Admin Fax Ext:
      Admin Email: domainregistar@level3.com
      Registry Tech ID:
      Tech Name: Domain Administrator
      Tech Organization: Level 3 Communications, LLC
      Tech Street: 1025 El Dorado Blvd.,
      Tech City: Broomfield
      Tech State/Province: CO
      Tech Postal Code: 80021
      Tech Country: US
      Tech Phone: +1.7208881000
      Tech Phone Ext:
      Tech Fax: +1.7208885619
      Tech Fax Ext:
      Tech Email: domainregistar@level3.com
      Name Server: b.ns.nsatc.net
      Name Server: l.ns.nsatc.net
      Name Server: e.ns.nsatc.net
      Name Server: c.ns.nsatc.net
      Name Server: a.ns.nsatc.net
      Name Server: g.ns.nsatc.net
      Name Server: d.ns.nsatc.net
      DNSSEC: unsigned
      URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: http://wdprs.internic.net/
      >>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2016-05-20T03:42:59-0700 <<<

The Data in MarkMonitor.com's WHOIS database is provided by MarkMonitor.com for
      information purposes, and to assist persons in obtaining information about or
      related to a domain name registration record. MarkMonitor.com does not guarantee
      its accuracy. By submitting a WHOIS query, you agree that you will use this Data
      only for lawful purposes and that, under no circumstances will you use this Data to:
      (1) allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission of mass unsolicited,
      commercial advertising or solicitations via e-mail (spam); or
      (2) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes that apply to
      MarkMonitor.com (or its systems).
      MarkMonitor.com reserves the right to modify these terms at any time.
      By submitting this query, you agree to abide by this policy.

MarkMonitor is the Global Leader in Online Brand Protection.

MarkMonitor Domain Management™
      MarkMonitor Brand Protection™
      MarkMonitor AntiPiracy™
      MarkMonitor AntiFraud™
      Professional and Managed Services

Visit MarkMonitor at http://www.markmonitor.com
      Contact us at +1.8007459229
      In Europe, at +44.02032062220

For more information on Whois status codes, please visit
      https://www.icann.org/resources/page...-2014-06-16-en
      if i could be bothered i would lookup ALL those domains!

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post

No offense, but leaving over 50 tabs open... sounds just lazy .
        Not to brag, but...
        Though that's not my "record". I've actually done ~1000 tabs a few times.
        Keyboard not detected, press F1 to continue...

Comment

No offense, but leaving over 50 tabs open... sounds just lazy . How can you even keep track of that many anyways? I know I can't (but I am a bit slow too... so maybe that's why ). I read what I read, but at the end of the day my PC has to be shut down and all browsing history and cache is cleared. No exceptions. And yes, I have to restart my browsers mid-session sometimes too. While FireFox is indeed a bit memory-hungry, it isn't the only one. Even good old Opera 10/11/12 will hoard too much RAM after a while. I think it's more to do with the web coding and active content these days - many websites load way too much unnecessary crap for no reason. Badcaps and a few other small websites are really the only places that I haven't seen degrade to that path. I can still view BCN on my Pentium 3 laptop with 512 MB of RAM never hit pagefile, even after browsing all day.

But with FireFox 24, I can have a maximum of 10-20 YouTube tabs open before I run out of RAM (1.25 GB on this PC) and start hitting pagefile. I suppose that is good enough for now, though.
          Originally posted by reaper57 View Post
          Not to brag, but...
          Same here, I'm guilty of hogging tabs. wikipedia is the main culprit.
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I dont run anymore than 3~4 tabs per browser window. I ALWAYS have 3 browser windows open...spanned over 3x 27" monitors.... Thats plenty.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Not to brag, but...
              Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
              Same here, I'm guilty of hogging tabs. wikipedia is the main culprit.
              I still stand by what I said. There is NO WAY you will actually remember what you have and haven't opened, especially if you leave the computer away for some time and come back. So I don't get what's the point of leaving so many tabs open anyways. I think y'all just need to learn to use the bookmarks/favorites . At least that's what I do when I want to get back to something that I don't think I will be able to find again easily.

Think of this as doing paperwork on your desk: you obviously shouldn't take out every single document you have and dump it on your desk, because in a week/month/year, you will get lost in all of the documents. It's better just keep the ones you are working on and put the others in a drawer. Or one-up that and have two drawers: one for keeping documents for reference only (that you likely may not need anytime soon) and one for documents that you do need to work on sometimes again in the future (but just not now).

Plus, in case of a browser crash, the bookmarks won't get lost. Most browsers nowadays also have crash-recovery, so in theory you shouldn't ever loose your tabs if the browser crashes... but only in theory . I've lost plenty of open browsers sessions so I know better now.

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              I dont run anymore than 3~4 tabs per browser window. I ALWAYS have 3 browser windows open...spanned over 3x 27" monitors.... Thats plenty.
              ^ And that's why your shop is so organized! (at least from the pictures you showed us... I sincerely hope you're not pulling an "HGTV special series" on us ). Staying "on top of it" is the only way to stay cluster-free.

I sometimes may have up to 20-30 tabs open (typically a long session of eBay or badcaps.net). But the norm is usually 3-8 per browser (and I only use 2 browsers). And it all has to get shut down at the end of the day, cache + history cleared, and PC looking fresh again on next boot
              Last edited by momaka; 06-02-2016, 07:27 PM.

Comment

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06...re_no_way_out/
                http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06...ws_10_upgrade/

After everything Microsoft has done in the past year, it would surprise me if they released any security updates for vulnerabilities that don't affect Windows 10.

I need to completely disable Windows Update like Topcat does. After KB3035583 installed itself on my computer without my permission, I noticed that the updates for Windows Update automatically install themselves if you don't install them shortly after they're released.

Comment

Fellow multi tabbers. Is there a way to keep chrome from loading them all?

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                    I need to completely disable Windows Update like Topcat does. After KB3035583 installed itself on my computer without my permission, I noticed that the updates for Windows Update automatically install themselves if you don't install them shortly after they're released.
                    I noticed that KB3035583 marked itself as "important" and was selected for installation on my Win 7 laptop the other day. My desktop, though, showed no important updates; KB3035583 was simply unhidden again, but still unchecked and listed as optional.

I think I found why they behaved differently.

I didn't realize it, but I'd apparently (at the time of installation last year) left Windows update set to "Give me recommended updates the same way I get important updates," and to "Download the updates, but let me decide whether to install them" rather than "Notify me updates are available, but let me decide whether to download and install them." I have since fixed both, which puts them in the same configuration as my desktop PC.

The fact that it went this long without me noticing the error (though something in the back of my mind tells me it's been like this a while, so I am sure it was my error and not some MS chicanery) suggests to me that until now, all of the KB3035583 rereleases have not been upgraded to "important" even with the "give me" box checked. I can't say for sure that it didn't happen and that I just re-hid it as I had so many times and went about my business, but when the adware update came through as important this time, it really jumped out at me, so I don't know.

The upshot is that if you have the "give me" box checked, apparently it doesn't just install recommended updates according to the same rules you've defined for important updates anymore-- it actually upgrades the update to important, at least in the case of this adware update. (Why isn't that thing detected and blocked by antimalware programs? Are they afraid of MS? Clearly, this would be blocked if it were anyone else BUT MS pushing it.)

I've been all over the web denouncing Windows 10. I feel it's my duty to evangelize against this evil piece of crap, to try to keep as many people as possible from falling victim. The ones who actually want that abomination... well, it's their choice, but I think they're fools. It is imperative that MS fail in this push; if they treat their customers as badly as they have and actually profit from it, that sets a very bad precedent, and others will be likely to follow.

People may call me a Microsoft hater, accuse me of being a shill for Apple or a Linux fanboy, but none of those are true (though I am getting pretty close to the first one). I like Windows and I wish to keep using it... just not in the 8 or 10 form. I don't like Apple and while I like the idea of Linux, it just doesn't run the stuff I want to run, and I don't really want to fiddle with WINE and see if I can convince it to work (although I may eventually end up there if Windows keeps going as it is). I like Windows 7 and I liked XP; before that, I used ME (which I actually liked; I never had the issues others did), 98 SE, 95 OSR2, 95, 3.11, 3.0, MS-DOS 4.01, and MS-DOS 3.31. That's a lot of MS for a so-called hater.

Comment

m$ just released an "update" for seven that breaks vmware!

http://www.networkworld.com/article/...-software.html

they must work real hard to develop malware like that!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                        m$ just released an "update" for seven that breaks vmware!

http://www.networkworld.com/article/...-software.html

they must work real hard to develop malware like that!
                        "Just"?

From the page: Feb 10, 2011 12:53 PM PT

Comment

wrong link, they broke it again i should have said - this time it's the usb or serial ports.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascaris View Post
                            The fact that it went this long without me noticing the error (though something in the back of my mind tells me it's been like this a while, so I am sure it was my error and not some MS chicanery) suggests to me that until now, all of the KB3035583 rereleases have not been upgraded to "important" even with the "give me" box checked. I can't say for sure that it didn't happen and that I just re-hid it as I had so many times and went about my business, but when the adware update came through as important this time, it really jumped out at me, so I don't know.

The upshot is that if you have the "give me" box checked, apparently it doesn't just install recommended updates according to the same rules you've defined for important updates anymore-- it actually upgrades the update to important, at least in the case of this adware update. (Why isn't that thing detected and blocked by antimalware programs? Are they afraid of MS? Clearly, this would be blocked if it were anyone else BUT MS pushing it.)
                            I unchecked and hid that update every time it appeared, and it still installed anyway. I looked on the internet and found other people saying that the same thing happened to them on the same day. I think it was June 1, 2015. There were no other updates available on that day.
                            Last edited by lti; 06-04-2016, 05:29 PM.

Comment

I think y'all just need to learn to use the bookmarks/favorites
                              I have about 1K of them, it's pointless at this point.

I unchecked and hid that update every time it appeared, and it still installed anyway. I looked on the internet and found other people saying that the same thing happened to them on the same day. I think it was June 1, 2015. There were no other updates available on that day.
                              Originally posted by Ascaris View Post
                              I noticed that KB3035583 marked itself as "important" and was selected for installation on my Win 7 laptop the other day. My desktop, though, showed no important updates; KB3035583 was simply unhidden again, but still unchecked and listed as optional.

I think I found why they behaved differently.

I didn't realize it, but I'd apparently (at the time of installation last year) left Windows update set to "Give me recommended updates the same way I get important updates," and to "Download the updates, but let me decide whether to install them" rather than "Notify me updates are available, but let me decide whether to download and install them." I have since fixed both, which puts them in the same configuration as my desktop PC.

I've been all over the web denouncing Windows 10. I feel it's my duty to evangelize against this evil piece of crap, to try to keep as many people as possible from falling victim. The ones who actually want that abomination... well, it's their choice, but I think they're fools. It is imperative that MS fail in this push; if they treat their customers as badly as they have and actually profit from it, that sets a very bad precedent, and others will be likely to follow.

People may call me a Microsoft hater, accuse me of being a shill for Apple or a Linux fanboy, but none of those are true (though I am getting pretty close to the first one). I like Windows and I wish to keep using it... just not in the 8 or 10 form. I don't like Apple and while I like the idea of Linux, it just doesn't run the stuff I want to run, and I don't really want to fiddle with WINE and see if I can convince it to work (although I may eventually end up there if Windows keeps going as it is). I like Windows 7 and I liked XP; before that, I used ME (which I actually liked; I never had the issues others did), 98 SE, 95 OSR2, 95, 3.11, 3.0, MS-DOS 4.01, and MS-DOS 3.31. That's a lot of MS for a so-called hater.
                              http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06...re_no_way_out/
                              http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06...ws_10_upgrade/

After everything Microsoft has done in the past year, it would surprise me if they released any security updates for vulnerabilities that don't affect Windows 10.

Just disable auto updates, I've been doing it for years.
                              Last edited by reaper57; 06-05-2016, 06:58 AM.
                              Keyboard not detected, press F1 to continue...

Comment

I have about 1K of them, it's pointless at this point.
                                Well, not to brag like you said, but I have about 1.5K... if not more. I know that just when I started to abandon IE6 some many years ago, I already had about 700-900 favorites. Probably have at least 2x that amount now. Hard to count, though, since I use three browsers now. Just my weekly eBay + Craiglist bookmarks averages around 100 (I constantly add new bookmarks but I also delete old ones that are for listings that have expired).

It's certainly not pointless if you keep them organized. Mine are all sorted in appropriate categories and folders, so even if I forgot I had something in bookmarks/favorites, it doesn't take me long to find out if I do. I will admit that a few times I did look for stuff that I already had in my bookmarks. But for the most part, I don't have problems finding anything.

Just disable auto updates, I've been doing it for years.
                                +1
                                Same here - at least for my own personal computers (or other people's personal computers that I've set for them).
                                Last edited by momaka; 06-06-2016, 06:20 PM.

Comment

What i've learned the hard way throughout years , never install a new windows until they release its correspondent service pack 3 . Let them discover their always goofs from their own pocket . I don't like to be the test field of Microsoft .

Comment

if your in Lebanon you should not be using an o.s. partly written in ISreal

Comment

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
                                      What i've learned the hard way throughout years , never install a new windows until they release its correspondent service pack 3 . Let them discover their always goofs from their own pocket . I don't like to be the test field of Microsoft .
                                      So you're running Windows 2000, or better yet NT4? :P
                                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                        So you're running Windows 2000, or better yet NT4? :P
                                        There was a SP3 for XP x86. XP x64 only got SP2. W2K got an "unofficial" SP5. IIRC, NT4 got SP6.....but I'm really digging in the archives to remember that!
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                        http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                        Team : 49813
                                        Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

Well, not to brag like you said, but I have about 1.5K... if not more.
                                          I just had my puter count mine. 22,841.

The earliest entries I found date back to 2003. More than likely, some were earlier than that, as I had always imported my old bookmarks when I switched to a new version of Netscape (starting with 2.0), and I certainly would have done that when I went to Mozilla in 2002 and FF in 2003 (and I suspect that the imported entries received the date of import). I have tons and tons with the same date on them in 2003, so I was either really busy that day, or that was when I switched to FF.

That was the last time I switched browsers.

Many are dead, I am certain; probably most of them, given how fast links decay and how old so many are. The median age, though, is a lot closer to the present than it is to 2003.

Comment

Working...
                                          X