No announcement yet.

Windows 10 benefits - Are there any?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows 10 benefits - Are there any?

Sony, target, talktalk, vtech just off the top of my head.
    All nothing to do with Windows10.

Not an IT admins job in those places to write policy, that's a more senior role and the failings were all due to piss poor management, not IT admins. In fact most big businesses don't want to pay for InfoSec, there's nothing to show for it.

Comment

I got this Asus gaming laptop loaded with w10. All the software downloads on asus's website are w10/w8.1

I managed to get win7 on here and it works fine but even if I install the asus ATK package (keyboard hotkey manager-the 8.1 download has 7 support) it refuses to change brightness on wake after sleep. if I do uninstall the manager that works, but the keyboard refuses to turn the backlight on. I might have to switch to w10, seems only w8.0 and w7 users are having these problems
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by reaper57 View Post
        Hi, I want your opinions on something. Pretty much every review site and youtube channel is praising windows 10 for being revolutionary, amazing and what not. Is everyone high, or is there something wrong with me? Every single windows 10 installation that I've done and used for more than a few weeks has managed to "break" itself in a way. I mean they still boot, but are slow, choppy, the start menu takes like 10 minutes to open (not literally of course), the bult in apps like calculator and calendar display errors or close themselves, immediately after opening them. Worst case was when I got a "start menu and cortana can't start" loop after an automatic update... TWICE!
        At first I thought, maybe it's because I'm using it on all of these "old" core 2 duos and first gen i3 laptops. However, I tried it on a desktop system with an i5-2400 and 8gb of ram, but nope still the same shit.
        I would have suspected sick hardware, such as a bad drive, bad ATA cable or a bad ATA port.
        Maybe a bad RAM slot, especially with Windows error messages. (Suspected with false file-not-found errors)
        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 01-01-2016, 04:10 PM.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
          I am not disagreeing that Windows 10 may do that... but the NSA doesn't care about the conversion I'm having with somebody on Skype (I'm sure they record those too) about WooCommerce theme development.
          I agree, it's not like living in Saudi Arabia and being pissed off at the government. Or living in PRC and being pissed off at the government.
          (Or the above mentioned two, I would take PRC over Saudi Arabia!)

(In PRC, I 99 percent would have to trash-talk the government to get executed or jailed for life)

(In Saudi Arabia, it's very likely for a folk to get executed or jailed for life even when just a bystander!)

(Yes, radical muslims are that mean, they make PRC look like a saint!)
          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 01-01-2016, 04:25 PM.
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

what the government agency's record / transcribe today they may use against you a year or even a decade from now.
            dont be thinking your fucking safe, the hammer came down on eastern europe in a matter of months - the u.s. could go full-stalinist much faster because the infrastructure and frankly the political will is already in place.

europe is already there, if i say HOLOHOAX in france or germany or badmouth a rich footballer or visiting chinese politician in the u.k. the police will send a terror-squad to break the door down - literally - to arrest me.

Comment

Originally posted by reaper57 View Post
              Hi, I want your opinions on something. Pretty much every review site and youtube channel is praising windows 10 for being revolutionary, amazing and what not. Is everyone high, or is there something wrong with me? Every single windows 10 installation that I've done and used for more than a few weeks has managed to "break" itself in a way. I mean they still boot, but are slow, choppy, the start menu takes like 10 minutes to open (not literally of course), the bult in apps like calculator and calendar display errors or close themselves, immediately after opening them. Worst case was when I got a "start menu and cortana can't start" loop after an automatic update... TWICE!
              At first I thought, maybe it's because I'm using it on all of these "old" core 2 duos and first gen i3 laptops. However, I tried it on a desktop system with an i5-2400 and 8gb of ram, but nope still the same shit. All of the built in apps, except onenote and one drive stopped working, when I log in, it feels as if I don't have a proper video driver, since everything is popping up in segments... choppy segments. And on top of that the clock disapears from the full screen picture that's displayed, when you send the PC in standby mode.
              Enough complaining, what do you guys think? Is it something on my end or is win10 just bad?
              P.S. That last i5 system is running with no AV.
              and what u are describing with win10 sounds more like shitty coding/programming.

Comment

just found this on facebook

Attached Files
                Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

zomg! a girl pregnant with win10! what is the world coming to! looks like some guy just got made a cuckold by bill gates and m$!

Comment

Windows 10- Don't even trust it with Red Star OS.
                    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

I have been using it for around 3 months and have had zero issues. Apart from it installing the wrong version of the touchpad driver for my laptop every few hours, but that was fixed by disabling automatic driver updates.

It is faster and more stable than any Windows version i have used so far, and it's also slimmer, coming in around 4-5GB smaller than Windows 8.1. That would be a first for any Microsoft OS, being smaller than the previous version. I have installed it so far on a variety of hardware old and new with no issues. If it ran Win7, it's gonna run 10. Chances are it's gonna run it better than it did 7. I have disabled Cortana and all that nasty tracking stuff from the start.

One thing i disliked about it is that it's UGLY by default. However, this, this and this made it look great.
                      Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 01-02-2016, 11:12 AM.
                      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I did try Windows 10 Pro (had a spare 8 Pro key) on my gaming laptop.
                        I've disabled unneeded features (Cortana, tracking stuff, etc.), used a local account and installed Start10. With these tweaks, W10 works almost the same as W7.

W10 is fine for me, but I would not switch from W7 (maybe from W8, but not from W7).

Comment

I actually like the new start menu. Unlike W8.1 where i would run Classic Shell, i did not install any start menu replacements on Win10.

I know of one other person who has a high-end workstation laptop and upgraded from W7, and he says it performs better than 7 did, and he's had no major issues so far, either.
                          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

This table summarizes how supremely clever and bright is "upgrading" from Se7en to X:

Comment

So... Windows Se7en is the best OS released by MS. Hands down.
                              Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                              Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                                I do like the soulness of the OS. Using 7 SP1 on my Maximus II Gene, which has my Halo CE server!

Right now, using 8.1 x64 on my FX system, in the sig.

Prime95 passed on my FX rig today!
                                Glad that Prime95 passed on my Sabertooth 990FX R 2.0!
                                I gave it a 6 hour run for the monster RAM! No signs of RAM instability...
                                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 01-05-2016, 05:38 PM.
                                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                                  no, dos7
                                  the first dos to operate with fat32

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                    I do like the soulness of the OS. Using 7 SP1 on my Maximus II Gene, which has my Halo CE server!

Right now, using 8.1 x64 on my FX system, in the sig.

Prime95 passed on my FX rig today!
                                    Glad that Prime95 passed on my Sabertooth 990FX R 2.0!
                                    I gave it a 6 hour run for the monster RAM! No signs of RAM instability...
                                    Server- 14/16 users

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TELVM View Post
                                      This table summarizes how supremely clever and bright is "upgrading" from Se7en to X:
                                      What do the bangs mean? I imagine that it would be that it can be done, but with aftermarket solutions. I'm especially looking at the one about uninstalling all bundled "apps." I'd require that before 10 would become an option-- and I mean ALL "apps," including bits of the UI that use apps instead of traditional dialogs.

Windows knows my PC is not a mobile device with a tiny touch screen meant to be operated with big, fat, clumsy fingers, so there's no reason I should ever be looking at any metro/modern/universal stuff, whatever they are calling it these days.

That's in addition to the other stuff, like a Win7 level of control over updates, a way to turn off ALL telemetry permanently without having to resort to "hacks," and a way to eradicate Cortana completely.
                                      Last edited by Ascaris; 01-09-2016, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TELVM View Post

http://cdn.overclock.net/3/37/379434...roversions.PNG
                                        Looks like some bullshit table with no real information or features...

Well, DX12 is Win10 exclusive...

As for the updates:
                                        Your grandma does not know whitch updates to install.
                                        So it is better for them to install automatically...

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
                                          Looks like some bullshit table with no real information or features...

Well, DX12 is Win10 exclusive...

As for the updates:
                                          Your grandma does not know whitch updates to install.
                                          So it is better for them to install automatically...
                                          And that's how previous versions came out of the box. Grandma would not know what updates are or that they can be turned off.

Comment

Working...
                                          X