No announcement yet.

Windows 10 benefits - Are there any?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows 10 benefits - Are there any?

Originally posted by momaka View Post
    (For those of you who don't know, that laptop has a Pentium 3 CPU @ 700 MHz and 512 MB of RAM.)
    Another "Adam-puter," this time a portable one. Remember how intel killed the P3s off because they couldn't stand the "old tech" P3s outclassing Netbusts?

Funny how intel admitted defeat by drawing on P3s afterwards? Everything since Core owes their existence to the humble P3.

The "Adam-puter" was a P4P800-E system that got run over by a Deer. Had a P4 3.4E-HT. (HT=heater tech?) I got it to try to fix back in 2007. Tried a new power supply/reinstall, but it came back a few months later. Saw KZGs/KZJs and thought chips on mobo got damaged before I replaced the power supply; we didn't seem to know much about those cap series back then, so I assumed mobo was no good.

I felt bad for the fella, so "traded" him one of those early 2000's Gateways with a 700MHz P3 CPU- would you be surprised if it was more stable and "on the ball" than the old P4 Asus spaceheater?

Granted, it wasn't being used for extreme-for-2007 stuff, but navigating torrents of whitewater and CD burning was no problem. It had the same case as this:

That little story only sticks with me because I thought I'd try Mr. Deer til I got the new supply. Well... it whined and complained after I applied some settings in MSCONFIG. Made a beeline for the plug, just as it settled down. Miracle it didn't kill the HDD... Ripple throughout entire system; even when idle you heard the beat note, from VRM freq beating with the SMPS freq and affecting feedback loop, in every motor- fan and HDD.

What fun...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kaboom; 11-27-2015, 08:41 PM.
    "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
    Originally posted by shango066
    All style and no substance.
    Originally posted by smashstuff30
    guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
    guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post

I felt bad for the fella, so "traded" him one of those early 2000's Gateways with a 700MHz P3 CPU- would you be surprised if it was more stable and "on the ball" than the old P4 Asus spaceheater?

Granted, it wasn't being used for extreme-for-2007 stuff, but navigating torrents of whitewater and CD burning was no problem. It had the same case as this:
      That's the same case style that late-1990s Katmai-based Gateways used.

Like a PIII 500 I once worked on, to get rid of junkware!
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I didn't read the entire forum here, getting ready for bed. Sooner, rather than later, I believe Microsoft will stop supporting 7 / 8 / 8.1 (in that order I believe). They'll support the newest OS though, until a newer one comes along. So eventually, you'll stop getting security updates for 7 and 8.1. Windows 10 is a bit unstable still. I like how they kind of brought back the start menu though. I thought 8 / 8.1 was god awful. For XP, Microsoft supported it for a very long time. I remember reading an article where they said they weren't going to support the other OSes nearly as long. Right now, Windows 10 is also a free upgrade if you're running a semi-new OS, like 7 or 8. Don't know if Vista is covered. Come June, I believe you'll have to pay for a copy if you want it. Just some stuff to think about.
        -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
          Windows 10 is a bit unstable still.
          For 10: Remember the letters: L T S B
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I didn't read the entire forum here, getting ready for bed. Sooner, rather than later, I believe Microsoft will stop supporting 7 / 8 / 8.1 (in that order I believe). They'll support the newest OS though, until a newer one comes along. So eventually, you'll stop getting security updates for 7 and 8.1. Windows 10 is a bit unstable still. I like how they kind of brought back the start menu though. I thought 8 / 8.1 was god awful. For XP, Microsoft supported it for a very long time. I remember reading an article where they said they weren't going to support the other OSes nearly as long. Right now, Windows 10 is also a free upgrade if you're running a semi-new OS, like 7 or 8. Don't know if Vista is covered. Come June, I believe you'll have to pay for a copy if you want it. Just some stuff to think about.
            Yes, EOL for Vista is 2017, 7 is 2020, 8 is 2023.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/lifecycle

Comment

2023 ?
              other than the xbox division, i doubt micro$oft will make it that long!

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                For 10: Remember the letters: L T S B
                Okay. I'm a bit confused about the whole Current Branch / Long Term Servicing Branch. Could you or someone else explain it to me? Found an article on it but it was a bit confusing.

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-10/u...nch-windows-10

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                  Yes, EOL for Vista is 2017, 7 is 2020, 8 is 2023.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/lifecycle
                  Thanks! I almost thought they were going to end them maybe 2 years after a new Windows OS comes out. For the numbers you listed, is that for the latest service pack? Like Vista Service Pack 2 ends 2017 or is that for Vista no-service pack?

Comment

Like Vista Service Pack 2 ends 2017 or is that for Vista no-service pack?
                    It doesn't matter. Vista support ends April 2017. No more updates or patches.
                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                      It doesn't matter. Vista support ends April 2017. No more updates or patches.
                      So it's not like XP, where the ended XP support but kept SP1 support going for a bit, and then ended that but kept SP2 support going, and then ended that but kept SP3 support going until that finally ended as well? It's all of Vista ends April 2017, etc? Thanks.

Comment

So it's not like XP, where the ended XP support but kept SP1 support going for a bit, and then ended that but kept SP2 support going, and then ended that but kept SP3 support going until that finally ended as well? It's all of Vista ends April 2017, etc? Thanks.
                        XP support was extended several times due to customer demand (because Vista was such a failure and a large percentage of PCs, especially businesses, still had XP at the original end of support). Vista on the other hand has very few users and Microsoft has no plans to extend the support beyond the original "End of Life". It will be interesting to see what happens to Windows 7, it is currently planned to EOL in 2020, but I don't see many business users moving to Windows 10 (a spyware/adware OS may be ok for most home users, lets face it most people don't care and/or are too dumb to realize what the OS is doing in the background, but businesses aren't going to put up with that if it could jeopardize their customer data or trade secrets) so I'd say there is a pretty good chance it will end up being extended as well.
                        Last edited by dmill89; 11-28-2015, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
                          XP support was extended several times due to customer demand (because Vista was such a failure and a large percentage of PCs, especially businesses, still had XP at the original end of support). Vista on the other hand has very few users and Microsoft has no plans to extend the support beyond the original "End of Life". It will be interesting to see what happens to Windows 7, it is currently planned to EOL in 2020, but I don't see many business users moving to Windows 10 (a spyware/adware OS may be ok for most home users, lets face it most people don't care and/or are too dumb to realize what the OS is doing in the background, but businesses aren't going to put up with that if it could jeopardize their customer data or trade secrets) so I'd say there is a pretty good chance it will end up being extended as well.
                          That would be real nice if they continued 7. Out of all of Microsoft OSes, 7 is our favourite. We upgraded the laptop to 10 because it was free and we knew eventually, 7 would be discontinued. Almost all the sensitive stuff we do on the Linux box. There's still a few sensitive stuff my wife does on her laptop here. I just don't trust Windows security. Never really have. Generally, it's fairly easy to get into a Windows machine, especially if it isn't fully updated. Linux tends to be a bit harder.

Comment

hmm im not too concerned about the industrial espionage part even on business pcs. remember how the badcaps fiasco started? someone thought he pulled off a really good one. a heist that will be remembered. he got that right. remembered for all the wrong reasons!

its fine to put your trade secrets in a pc that u know will be spied on. just dont put all your secrets in! save the really good secrets in your head. dont be intel outside, brainless inside.
                            Last edited by ChaosLegionnaire; 11-29-2015, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                              hmm im not too concerned about the industrial espionage part even on business pcs. remember how the badcaps fiasco started? someone thought he pulled off a really good one. a heist that will be remembered. he got that right. remembered for all the wrong reasons!

its fine to put your trade secrets in a pc that u know will be spied on. just dont put all your secrets in! save the really good secrets in your head. dont be intel outside, brainless inside.
                              I would rather not have any data of that kind shown the the advert networks....
                              But to each his own i suppose.
                              Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                                hmm im not too concerned about the industrial espionage part even on business pcs.
                                https://duckduckgo.com/?q=airbus+esp...t-wt&kv=1&kh=1

Comment

Businesses should be using Pro or Enterprise versions. No tracking or spying with those versions, it's the home users that are the beta testers for the Enterprise version.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                                    Businesses should be using Pro or Enterprise versions. No tracking or spying with those versions,
                                    if you believe that i can sell you some cheap land and a few bridges.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                      I'll take a bridge, depending on the condition. Got any pictures?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                        Got anything to prove otherwise ?

Comment

if your an it admin for a company that loses millions - or in the airbus case, about 11Billion,
                                          they will blame you for running an unsecured system.
                                          you dont think anybody at board-level will take the blame do you?

Comment

Working...
                                          X