No announcement yet.

Windows 10 benefits - Are there any?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows 10 benefits - Are there any?

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    As for the updates:
    Your grandma does not know whitch updates to install.
    So it is better for them to install automatically...
    And then she calls you the next day and says her computer is no longer working

Comment

Looks like some bullshit table with no real information or features...

... Your grandma does not know whitch updates to install.
      So it is better for them to install automatically...
      Unfortunately for Microborg, most users are not the retards they would like them to be, and thus are not interested in bullshit operating systems.

Comment

On new PCs windows users will be stuck with 10 for support:

http://www.computerworld.com/article...re-itbwcw.html

Comment

while the forum wa down, lots of news came out.
          m$ is going to re-write the erg keys on 7 & 8 to keep the "get 10" harrasment popups working,
          AND they are going to start hitting the corps with internal nets too - so NO, business licenses are NOT exempt from this shit.

links later.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
            On new PCs windows users will be stuck with 10 for support:

http://www.computerworld.com/article...re-itbwcw.html
            That is total BS as long as the CPUs are still standard architecture (x86/x64) it takes no effort on Microsoft's part to make it compatible, so they are deliberately detecting the newer CPUs and making it not work/become un supported.

This is going to definitely piss off a lot of business users most of which have no plans to update to Win 10 any time soon, and even the ones that do will likely take years to make the transition due to the need to make their business software compatible or replace it with software that is (most of the software vendors we use at work haven't put any significant effort in making their software win10 compatible/compliant aside from MS itself, so it will be years until most business software id compatible/certified for win 10).

Microsoft is getting way too aggressive at pushing Win 10 and it has really bitten them in the ass, so what do they do push it even harder and it is only going to fan the flames of discontent and possibly push their biggest/most valuable customers (business users) to look elseware.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              m$ is going to re-write the erg keys on 7 & 8 to keep the "get 10" harrasment popups working,
              AND they are going to start hitting the corps with internal nets too - so NO, business licenses are NOT exempt from this shit.

links later.
              Still no harrasment popup here on my 7, and it's those corps that don't use WSUS. So real business networks with proper admins aren't going to see any change nor any pop ups.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                So far it only affects those business that are small enough to get their updates directly from MS. Most larger business have their own update server since updates must be tested and verified by IT personnel on test systems before they are sent out to the general user base (too many bad updates leading to downtime/business impacts to trust MS).

However this could be a major issue for small/medium sized business, especially those who don't lock down permissions on their systems (so a user could actually download and install win10), imagine a bunch of "non-technical" not knowing any better clicking on the pop-up and installing Win10 and breaking most of the business software on their machines, which could lead to major downtime and serious business impacts as the affected systems have to be reverted to win7 or re-imaged (especially for small companies that don't have dozens/hundreds of space computers like most major corporations do to get users back up quickly after a major failure, or large numbers of IT personnel to fix the problems).
                Last edited by dmill89; 01-17-2016, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post

However this could be a major issue for small/medium sized business, especially those who don't lock down permissions on their systems (so a user could actually download and install win10), imagine a bunch of "non-technical" not knowing any better clicking on the pop-up and installing Win10 and breaking most of the business software on their machines, which could lead to major downtime and serious business impacts as the affected systems have to be reverted to win7 or re-imaged (especially for small companies that don't have dozens/hundreds of space computers like most major corporations do to get users back up quickly after a major failure, or large numbers of IT personnel to fix the problems).
                  If businesses haven't got their systems secure and can let users install software, Windows 10 is the least of their worries. (cryptoware)
                  There are enough support companies and individuals about to support businesses of all sizes, so this shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                    If businesses haven't got their systems secure and can let users install software, Windows 10 is the least of their worries. (cryptoware)
                    There are enough support companies and individuals about to support businesses of all sizes, so this shouldn't be an issue.
                    Who are these small/medium businesses? Do they have the capital to pay for the needed extra support that could be necessitated by this move? Do you realize that an awful lot of small/medium networks are actually in local and regional governments and education campuses who are chronically underfunded? Who's gonna pay for the work? I don't see a lot of qualified volunteers lining up, do you? It will undoubtedly be an issue for some rather important functions that society relies upon.

Comment

i just read my last post - apologies over missing letters etc, i am going to smash this keyboard and replace it with a decent one next week!!

Comment

A 6 lb sledge will fix them stuck keys real good.

BTW, I do believe you're getting soft, I don't recall you apologizing for anything before

Comment

it wasnt that bad before!
                          it's not "stuck" keys, it's keys that arent sensitive enough when i speed-type.
                          time for the sun type5 - once i get a cable for it.

win10 shit here:
                          http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01..._business_pcs/

and here
                          http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01..._2016_patches/

Comment

Who are these small/medium businesses? Do they have the capital to pay for the needed extra support that could be necessitated by this move? Do you realize that an awful lot of small/medium networks are actually in local and regional governments and education campuses who are chronically underfunded? Who's gonna pay for the work? I don't see a lot of qualified volunteers lining up, do you? It will undoubtedly be an issue for some rather important functions that society relies upon.
                            ^This, sure the support exists if they can/want to pay for it, but it would be a major expense for many such businesses/organizations and if even if they can afford it they may not be able to get it quickly enough (negotiation of contracts, availability of contractors, training on company specific systems, etc.).
                            In my senior project in college we worked with such a company, a local manufacturing company with a couple hundred employees (most of whom had/used a computer) that made and repaired electronic control modules. They had 1 "IT guy" in the entire company and none of the prescribed procedures/standardization that major companies have (many different OSs, sketchy access controls/user security, etc.), these companies simply don't have/prioritize the resources for things like this.

There are a lot of businesses (as well as schools and local governments) like this that often put little thought/resources into IT.

Comment

Yes, I'm aware of businesses that don't spend on IT because "it just works" like the person that buys a car and drives it until it breaks. Then they realise they need someone with knowledge and expertise.

Computers are a tool and as such they need setting up correctly and maintaining.

As several high profile attacks showed last year setting up and maintaining a reliable and secure network is not a 5 minute job nor is it cheap depending on the complexity of the network.

And whilst i'm happy to donate some of my time to "charity jobs" they don't pay my bills so i much prefer paid work.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                                Yes, I'm aware of businesses that don't spend on IT because "it just works" like the person that buys a car and drives it until it breaks. Then they realise they need someone with knowledge and expertise.

Computers are a tool and as such they need setting up correctly and maintaining.

As several high profile attacks showed last year setting up and maintaining a reliable and secure network is not a 5 minute job nor is it cheap depending on the complexity of the network.
                                Absolutely, I definitely don't condone companies/organizations that treat IT like this, this is 2016 not 1990, and any company/organization that handles IT like this these days is just asking for problems. That being said Microsoft should not be further contributing to these issues, it is bad enough to have to worry about hackers, malware, and identity thieves, and then to have a major vendor (MS) using similar tactics to push an "upgrade" that may cause a major disruption of business, will surely alienate many of their customers (even those that might not be directly affected by this after seeing such tactics being used).

Comment

Windows 10 benefit: When I take a hammer and smash my laptop to bits because it's fucking up and the latest W10 update broke all my apps, I won't be half as upset as I would be if I'd smashed my W7 laptop.
                                  ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

Win 10 is more convenient because all you need to to is install it and if you have a working internet connection, it does everything for you.

Comment

Win 10 is more convenient because all you need to to is install it and if you have a working internet connection, it does everything for you.
                                      Definitely true!

Comment

To include spying too! I'd rather do things myself and know they were done right ... not let the OS do it all for me and screw it all up.
                                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

whoa, at this rate ppl and businesses will be willing to pay to use linux and paying to make it work for them. thanks micro$heet!

Comment

Working...
                                          X