Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will an HP DV9000 Boot from SSD ?

Fail.

Going to download a bootable stress test program and try to isolate the assumed faulty hardware before opening this thing up.

Comment

Turns out the freezing was a driver issue - the default Ubuntu one is no good for the installed Nvidia card.

So now the OS boots - most times. Other times it errors out into a shell. Sometimes on boot I see the Grub menu, sometimes I don't. What's up with that ?

Also tracking down one more issue. When the system boots into Ubuntu I'm faced with a blank desktop, no unity and no icons. If I wait until the screen goes to sleep when I wake it I'm faced with the logon from which I can switch users instead and logon as Guest. The Guest account looks as it should. Strange, no ?

Comment

the grub menu lets you enter parameters.
        try "XDRIVER=VESA"
        i cant remember if it needs to be uppercase.
        that should override the video driver - because the 3rd party nvidia one is crap.

Comment

I've already switched to an alternate one and it's working fine. Just have to solve my missing desktop and erratic boot and will be golden

Comment

as it leaves the bootloader and starts to boot, hit Esc to go to text and watch the messages for anything in red.

Comment

That probably flies by how do you log it ?

Comment

I think you'll find what you want gets logged in /var/log/dmesg (a text file)

You can also print the whole log out on the console with the 'dmesg' command
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

Just by typing 'dmesg' ?

Comment

Yes. You will also need to press enter of course

But looking at the text log file in an editor is easier to scroll through. And to copy out any relevant sections.

If you want to see the start of the file in the console, type 'dmesg | head' (this pipes the output of the dmesg command into the head command), which shows the first part.
                    You can also look at the end with 'dmesg | tail' (although not much use since dmesg will already show the whole file to the last entries anyway)

You can also send to the 'less' command which lets you scroll through it easily with 'dmesg | less'
                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Ok thanks

Comment

I had an Acer laptop here with a standard 250gb platter drive here and pulled it out not realizing they were compatible. Put the ssd in it and the damn thing boots up error free to the desktop in about 10-15 seconds after post. So in answer to the title of the thread NO the DV9000 will NOT boot from SSD at least not my dv-9-zero-zero-zero and not with my pny 80gb ssd.

When I put the other hard drive in the dv9000 I could install Ubuntu and boot to it but was still seeing many errors and it wouldn't shut down. After removing the wireless card most of the errors are gone and it shuts down by itself but it takes almost a minute and a half to boot up so there are still problems, probably still hardware/driver related.

For such a nice looking unit I've come to the conclusion it's just a piece of shit with endless compatibility problems unless you're running the Vista it came with.

Will mess with it again this week when the replacement wireless nic comes in.

Comment

try the very latest SuSE linux if it's out yet.
                          http://www.opensuse.org/en/
                          1 day to release as i type this.

Comment

Originally posted by mmartell View Post
                            Will mess with it again this week when the replacement wireless nic comes in.
                            STOP. If you're having wireless issues, it's 100% the nvidia chipset to blame. Replacing the wireless card will not fix anything.
                            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                              STOP. If you're having wireless issues, it's 100% the nvidia chipset to blame. Replacing the wireless card will not fix anything.
                              That MAY be true. However when I googled the Broadcom 4311 chipset I found there was a known driver issue and a workaround which I did not try as that is the same time I found out the card was only wireless G.

And I am not having display issues either. Another known driver issue forced me to switch to the Nvidia driver from Xorg and all is good.

I will say I have not used the system for any length of time yet so I am still open to your suggestion.

Comment

so you switched from Neuvou to NV driver?
                                cant you use the real nvidia driver?

Comment

Dunno, there were two alternatives and I have tried them both. One seems as good as the other, which is to say either works fine.

I was under the impression judging by the name that one of them is the real Nvidia driver but don't know that for fact.

Comment

I've installed the new wifi card now I can see all wireless networks but cannot connect. I put the card in my other laptop and same thing. Both lappies are running Ubuntu 14.10

So to rule out a bug or software issue with Ubuntu I've installed Win XP on the DV9000 but am having trouble finding a good driver. Windows seems not to even try its own database is there a setting somewhere for that ?

Comment

What chipset is the WiFi card?
                                      -David VanHorn

Comment

Broadcom 94321mc

Comment

I think your Ubuntu issue may be a firmware\driver one: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...Driver/bcm43xx not sure though, never used one of those chips myself, I think mine are all Atheros, Realtek or Ralink.
                                          -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                          X