bad fpcap help on msi 890fxa-gd70 mobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad fpcap help on msi 890fxa-gd70 mobo

my motherboard msi 890fxa-gd70 has blown some low esr caps and i am looking to identify as much as i can about them for replacement. they are marked in blue fp 01ad 4.7 6.3. i asume 01ad is date they are made and 4.7 is uf and 6.3 is volt but even with this much information their are more options from the nichicon manufacturer. im woundering if anyone knows the rest of the information from msi on what they should be for the 890fxa-gd70. i recognized they are bad when i noticed the dents in the sides of the cans each with an internaly loos leg after some explosions. or is the rest of the spec information on the caps not important? im not sure if they are even L8 or S8 or what other series.

Re: bad fpcap help on msi 890fxa-gd70 mobo

I think the solid polymer capacitors are Chemi-con (here).

What caused the existing capacitors to fault/fail? Excessive overclocking?

Unless the cause of the capacitor failure is remedied, the replacement capacitors will risk failure as well.

Comment

Please post a picture.

Thanks
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

nothing was overclocked but it did have overclock memory installed running at factory setting. you can see the board where i removed the 2 fpcaps right of the memory modules and the dent in the cans was the same on both but i removed the legs sence one was falling out on each cap. this board probly has 20 of these on it of the same value.

i hope i attached the photo's right.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by noise_maker_mark; 11-09-2014, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Sorry, but I can't see the photos, get some forum message "Invalid Post specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator".

Anyway, according close up photos in reviews of your motherboard, the solid capacitors are almost certainly Chemi-Con brand. If that is of any help.

Comment

sory i had taken to high a resolution on the original photo's i think i got it now
            Attached Files
            Last edited by noise_maker_mark; 11-09-2014, 11:43 PM.

Comment

That looks like L8. S8 has red printing on it, and I think L8 has blue printing, like yours. The differences are that S8 is 6.3mm wide, and L8 is 8mm.

Here you go (81 cents each):
              http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...9-1-ND/2347907
              Last edited by mockingbird; 11-09-2014, 11:45 PM.
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

i read this manufacturer had some stolen chemical formula caps that were out around the time these were made and they were faulty but who knows maybe its just got to many hours on it and the others are gona start poping to. but your link looks right.

Comment

^
                  Not at all. the FPCAPs were actually from Fujitsu's line and have only very recently been made by Nichicon. They are extremely reliable caps. Yours have physical damage that has probably been there from Day 1.
                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Looks like someone shoved a drive into it, LOL.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

32 GB G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVR

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I KNEW I saw Chemi-Con solid capacitors somewhere for this motherboard -
                      here and here. There was also another site somewhere that showed the Chemi-Cons but I can't find it.

Other review sites appear to show Nichicon (aka FPCAP ex Fujitsu) solid capacitors instead on this motherboard.

The variation of capacitor brand may depend on motherboard version and/or availability of solid capacitors at time of manufacture?

So this particular motherboard uses FPCAP's which appear to have been mechanically damaged rather than damaged due to electrical issues? According to the original post I thought the caps were "blown" and there was mention of an "explosion"!? That suggested an electrical issue.

According to the latest FPCAP catalog, the FPCAP solid capacitors are supposed to be marked in brown or dull red color. The blue colored FP caps as seen on this motherboard are maybe OEM, or maybe they are older discontinued color models?

Comment

these 2 fpcaps exploded seperate times and caused the pc to shutdown intantly each time but i could turn it on again and then after a 3rd explosion it would not turn on anymore. i saw smoke near my 1000 watt psu on the last explosion and found another kind of vented bad cap in the psu..so is it possible the psu cap was failing and just caused the two smaller fpcaps on the mobo to pop first? either way it seems the fpcaps on the mobo blew first. i do not know if the dents were there on the fpcaps before the explosions but with one loos leg (internaly) on each blown fpcap
                        and a dent in each after explosions i would think its more than damage from handling by manufaturer. i cant say if anything was bumped either but they arent real big at 8mm so i think other componets near them would have been hit and mayby taken the impact sence many of them are as big or biger. if i read it right they are 01 dated and with the legend of a bad chemical formula on some old ones around that time im not sure what was the cause..a bad psu cap or a bad fomula but if its chemical i have probly 20 more of that value on this thing and im geussing 8 fpcaps of other values so i might be in for a load of work. i had to use my 210 watt solder gun to even remove the 2, those 30 watt pencil guns dont get it hot enough. they advertise this mobo as having high quality military grade caps but they dont tell you only some of them are and i think those are tantalum...unlike the fpcaps. ohh and one other things the actual uf on them is 471 not 470 as i said but i didnt think that matered sence 470 is all i can find for sale and its only 1 off you can see it if you look close at the picture. i dont think they both could have been bumped either to cause the dents sence only one of them could have been hit by a drive standing in single line like that but they both had dents.
                        Last edited by noise_maker_mark; 11-11-2014, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Ah, Somehow, I didn't pick up that the picture was only of the can (maybe because the rest of the cap was not still attached to the motherboard in the other picture), so they probably were dented from impacting the case after the explosion.

The electrolyte issues between 2001 and 2004 only affected the HM and HN series of electrolytic caps. There have never been any problems of any kind with any of Nichicon's polymer caps or other series of electrolytics (and it was fixed in 2005 - long before your board was made)

It is entirely possible that the problem is caused by your PSU. What brand/model is it?

Any of the following would work as a replacement (assuming all of the exploded caps are 470uF 6.3V)
                          http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...9-1-ND/2347907
                          http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...365-ND/4204201
                          http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...226-ND/1826690
                          Last edited by c_hegge; 11-11-2014, 02:23 PM.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

they were attached to the mobo both legs on each cap still soldered in but one leg on each cap was not connected to anything inside the cap, loos i asume from burning out. I removed the caps before i took the pictures... the dents were their before i removed them and the s/n of the mobo seguest 2010 manufacture if im reading the s/n right 010b100526 but the blown caps seem to be 2001 if im reading them right 01ad. i have tons of various dated fpcaps in that bad time range on this if i read the codes right....03ad....01ad...04pd....04pe and those are the fpcaps but it also has many chemicons with the square symbol that i havent dated. the chemicons are a shade lighter blue than the fpcaps. but thanks this is good help anyway guys i think i got a lemon but ill have to make due.

Comment

You are reading the date codes wrong - those first two digits do NOT, in this case, indicate the year. It's a batch code that only Nichicon knows how to interpret. Those caps did not exist in 2001. Nichicon first took over Fujitsu's capacitor division in 2009, and the FP markings have only appeared on them since then.

Comment

then the funny thing is i got this kingwin psu so large thinking it might last because im only runing one video card and not much else to cause much stress but it might be the cause...if there is one. the blown cap on it i havent researched but looks like a brown 3300uf 16v su"scon

Comment

Kingwin PSUs are usually made by SuperFlower. They are a competent enough manufacturer, but Su'scon caps are total junk. Pop the cover on it and make sure none are bulging.

Comment

so far the only bulger in the psu is that blown su'scon and the other still good ones mostly seem to be nippon chemicon and several Pce-tul. whats a good replacement for the su'scon brand ?

Comment

that power supply overshot badly to blow those.you will be lucky if thats all that got killed.
                                      psu needs careful testing.

Comment

Originally posted by noise_maker_mark View Post
                                        so far the only bulger in the psu is that blown su'scon and the other still good ones mostly seem to be nippon chemicon and several Pce-tul. whats a good replacement for the su'scon brand ?
                                        Is it a 10mm diameter? if so, PM member "Behemont" and see if you can get some Samxon RS 3300uF 16V 10mm caps from him, as they are about your only option. If they are 12.5mm diameter, then you have a few other options.

Comment

Working...
                                        X