Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell G3 17 3779 - no display after mobo replacement

Hi guys,

I have a friend's Dell 3779 that came to me with severely shorted mobo. Did not manage to isolate the cause, most likely that was a bga shorted. Went for a replacement motherboard. Got one from China, apparently it's been tested prior to shipping. The mobo starts up normally but I am getting no display whatsoever.

Tried using external monitor, but being blind I am not sure if laptops goes as far as booting to Windows, a d without it I cannot get hdmi to work. Can't see boot menu options to make sure it boots to Windows. Went ahead and did a blind bios update, which I think went well (bios recovery shortcut, left arrow once, enter. After a couple of minutes got a reboot as expected.). Did not change a thing though. LCD Bist does not work, screen is still black.
    Why do I think the motherboard boots up?
    1 - trying to run bios recovery with no USB stick inside gives me a correct beep code.
    2 - keyboard and touchpad are somewhat responsive (caps lock lights up when pressed, keyboard backlight goes on when I touch the touchpad etc).

I am not sure if the mobo I received is faulty, or could the original fault damage the LCD as well. I'm wondering if is there any quite simple way to measure the Edp connector output to determine if the actual LCD is faulty, or if the signals are not produced by motherboard at all. Got the schematics (it's for la-f611p compared to mine la-f612p, but Edp output is the same). I am getting the +dcbat_lcd (18v). Not sure which line is responsible for detecting and actually powering up the screen. Could someone more experienced advise? Many, many thanks in advance.

The schematic can be found at this page , the Edp pinout is on page 29.
    Last edited by mrsith; 04-30-2023, 05:59 AM.

Re: Dell G3 17 3779 - no display after mobo replacement

Originally posted by mrsith View Post
    The schematic is attached...
    Originally posted by Vesko356 View Post
    Please link to topic in the Schematic subsection rather than uploading schematics in your post here!
    I'm tired of editing posts in the section. Finally, I will start deleting all replies with attached schematics.
    Please edit your post!
    Originally posted by Vesko356 View Post
    The name of the subsection speak for itself, all the schematics must be placed there, not all over the forum. It's interesting how you would easily find a schematic in a forum without knowing exactly which section to look in for it?
    Not to mention it is very easy to assume that if the same schematic is uploaded several times in a hundreds of created threads, it will overflow the server free space. We still have critical difficulties with this problem - there is a sticky thread regarding this issue:
    "IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT. Possible closure of Bios Requests"
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=116453
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
    Become a Badcaps supporter
    >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
    Thanks to all supporters.​
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae.

Comment

Edited the post with link where I originally found said schematic. Not sure that one has been posted correctly too, though.

Comment

Edited the post with link where I originally found said schematic.
        I've already seen that you've done it. Thank you.
        Not sure that one has been posted correctly too, though.
        What do you mean? I'm all ears.
        When you see an irregularity/rule violation, you can always use the button and describe what the problem is.

Last edited by Vesko356; 05-01-2023, 10:11 AM.
        All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
        Become a Badcaps supporter
        >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
        Thanks to all supporters.​
        Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae.

Comment

My bad, don't know why but I thought it's in a different section than it actually is. Anyway, sorry for pestering, promise I'll behave now.

---

Any advice at all how to determine if my problem is LCD or motherboard related highly appreciated <3

Comment

Working...
          X