Need advice on recently recapped capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on recently recapped capacitors

Hi forum members i'm new to this motherboard capping thing. 5 days back my pc started showing unusually high temperatures in the cpu vcore ,hdd and other components some thing like cpu=72 c, HDD= 65 c etc and i started getting really worried then the next the the computer totally started giving weird errors like blu screen and hangin and shutting etc untill 2 hrs later it stopped even booting... i used the pc anyliser (ordered from ebay 6months ago) and it atleast give me an idea that the cpu is fine the i checked the other parts one by one till i came to conclusion that the board was the culprit. then the next day a friend ofmine came to fix his pc to my place i made his pc and connected online to check for solutions of what could be the problem. after nearly half a day of searching i landed on badcaps forum and read that capacitors regulate voltage(and symptoms of bad ones were the same as mine..) so i checked board again and found 15/16 capacitors were bulging and of those 6 were in critical condition i.e. blown from the bottom..... that evening i went to nearly all the electric shops but could, get the required capacitor i.e. 820uf 6.3volt 105 c the closest i could get was a capacitor with A -->(1st issue =A=?? what brand...??? even shopkeeper doesnt know...)written on the top 1000uf and 6.3volts 85c-->(this is the second issue the 85 c instead of 105c ) which is worrying me i replaced all the caps with these ones and started up the pc and it booted and is working but i didnt use pc for more than 15 mins as i thought i'd ask here for advise as what to do
    1. 1000uf 6.3v 85c--(is the only cap available in my area)
    2. online ordering---(didnt find a site in india to order from as order from out is to expensive cause at that rate i'd get a new board)
    3. i used these and i want to know that how long it might work till i get the rated ones from one of the metro politian cities)....

please advise as i didnt turn on my pc yet and still using my friends PC...

Re: Need advice on recently recapped capacitors

Did you try this website
    http://dir.indiamart.com/cgi/catprds...tic+capacitors

http://www.mouser.com/contact-india/
    Last edited by 1supertech; 05-24-2013, 07:39 AM.

Comment

the first one is a whole sale site selling packs of 100s 1000s

and the second one is charging 8$ for 16 nichicons but shipping =40$
      40$+10$= new motherboard

the contact address u mentioned i'll try it out tomorrow during the day working hours...ist time
      and ask it they have stock there...
      thanks ...

Now on to point 3....

"*3. i used these and i want to know that how long it might work"
      Last edited by firstview; 05-24-2013, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Oh man the long text without paragraphs is killing me.

you need: 820uf 6.3volt 105 c

820uF is capacitance. You should keep it the same, since you don't seem to have experience in electronics. Sometimes it's possible to use the next standard capacitance value (which is 1000uF) but it really depends on how that capacitor is used.

6.3v is how much voltage the capacitor can handle. It's a higher limit, so you can use a 10v rated capacitor, or a 16v rated capacitor and it will still work. The rating just has to be larger than the maximum voltage going in the circuit where the capacitor is.
        However, capacitors with bigger voltage ratings also have different specifications which can affect how the circuit works.

the closest i could get was a capacitor with A -->(1st issue =A=?? what brand...??? even shopkeeper doesnt know...)

A followed by some numbers doesn't tell you anything. It's most often a company code which tells them the batch number of the capacitor for quality control purposes, or it tells you when the capacitor was made (usually in the format yyww - yy = year ,ww = weak of the year)

written on the top 1000uf and 6.3volts 85c-->(this is the second issue the 85 c instead of 105c ) which is worrying me i replaced all the caps with these ones and started up

Capacitors are rated in hours at a temperature. That value means the capacitor will work within some quality parameters (the uF value +/- 10-20%, esr +/- some percent, etc) for up to that many hours at that temperature.
        If the temperature is lower, then the capacitor will live longer.
        Traditionally, it is said that with each 10 degrees Celsius lower than the rating, the number of hours doubles.

So if you have a capacitor rated for 2000 hours @ 105c, you can say it's 4000 hours @ 95c , 8000 hours @ 85c , 16000 hours @ 75c and so on.
        Your capacitor is rated for 85c, so you may have one that's rated only for 1000 hours @ 85c which means it won't last a long time if the motherboard is not kept cool.

Anyway, the problem you have is that you don't know who made the capacitor and what specifications it has. Other than capacitance (uF) and voltage rating, you need to know how much RIPPLE the capacitor can handle and the ESR value (a sort of internal resistance).
        Motherboards require a special type of capacitors with very low ESR values and relatively high ripple values - 85c capacitors generally are not designed for this usage.

In your case, the 85c capacitors may not be up to task: the circuit which delivers power to the processor may work with them just to start the computer or watch a movie, but if you do something serious with the computer, the capacitors may be simply too bad and "stress" that circuit, making it work harder and overheat or make your computer unstable. The capacitors themselves may overheat because of the higher internal resistance.

Capacitors that work on motherboards are a bit expensive compared to those no-name 85c capacitors you find locally. Motherboard companies buy 10.000 capacitors or more at a time, so they get really good prices, compared to you buying 5-10 capacitors.

Digikey.com and Mouser.com are American companies so they'll have expensive shipping to India, it's natural.
        This site badcaps.net sells capacitors and they're reasonably priced but the shipping is 8 dollars.

You might want to check Farnell and RS-Online , they're European companies so they may have better shipping to India

Farnell (element14 is a brand of theirs, in US they use newark.com but it's same company): http://in.element14.com

RS-Online India : http://in.rsdelivers.com/?&cm_mmc=Wo..._-MainWorldMap

If those are still lousy on the shipping fees.. If you can use paypal to send money, I'm willing to mail you the capacitors you need for the price you see on Farnell (+24% as I pay VAT here) and 2$ for postage (stamps and thick envelope,usually put capacitors in cardboard box for extra protection too). I have lots of capacitors here and buy often from Farnell so i can help you out with a few capacitors at same price you'd get in store, don't need to make profit out of it.

If you get back to us with the name and model of the motherboard, i can give you suggestions as to what should work as replacements.
        Last edited by mariushm; 05-24-2013, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the detailed info i even saved this page for future refs....
          i found this one do u think i should go with it....
          http://in.rsdelivers.com/product/rub...5/7259029.aspx

Need to get 16 caps...

sorry i'm still a newbie at all this....

Comment

Yes that should work

Comment

It depends on the motherboard and where the capacitors are positioned on the motherboard.

You still don't say what brand and model of motherboard you have.

Rubycon is a very good brand, ZLH series from them is a low ESR series and it may or may not be quite up to what the motherboard needs.

Comment

My Motherboard specs:

Model = M2N68 AM PLUS
                Processor = AMD athlon 64 x2 5200+
                Ram = corsair xms2 2gb
                Gfx card = zabronic's nvidia 9600gt (synergy edition)
                HDD = Seagate 1tb (7200rpm)
                = WD 1tb green
                psu = 500w
                monitor = simple lg CRT (yeah ...i know pretty old.....)

and thats a summary of my pc.....

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                  It depends on the motherboard and where the capacitors are positioned on the motherboard.

You still don't say what brand and model of motherboard you have.

Rubycon is a very good brand, ZLH series from them is a low ESR series and it may or may not be quite up to what the motherboard needs.
                  My Motherboard specs:

Model = M2N68 AM PLUS
                  Processor = AMD athlon 64 x2 5200+
                  Ram = corsair xms2 2gb
                  Gfx card = zabronic's nvidia 9600gt (synergy edition)
                  HDD = Seagate 1tb (7200rpm)
                  = WD 1tb green
                  psu = 500w
                  monitor = simple lg CRT (yeah ...i know pretty old.....)

and thats a summary of my pc.....

Originally posted by 1supertech View Post
                  Yes that should work
                  thanks for the site info ...now all i have to do is wait for it to be delivered....

sorry for the double post.....
                  Last edited by firstview; 05-25-2013, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Those should work.

I just checked what I have here, and I have some Nichicon HN 820uF 6.3v about 35-40 pieces left from an order I made a couple of months ago.
                    Technically, they're better than the ZLH series from Rubycon but the ZLH should be good enough for your board as well.

I paid about 0.409 dollars for each which should work out at about 22.5Rs so if you have some way of paying me for them, i can send them to you for that price plus 2$ like i said, for stamps and envelope and all that. So about 8.5$ in total. Maybe add 1$ if you want expedited (to get to you in 7-10 days instead of two-three weeks).

Comment

Those should work.

I just checked what I have here, and I have some Nichicon HN 820uF 6.3v about 35-40 pieces left from an order I made a couple of months ago.
                      Technically, they're better than the ZLH series from Rubycon but the ZLH should be good enough for your board as well.

I paid about 0.409 dollars for each which should work out at about 22.5Rs so if you have some way of paying me for them, i can send them to you for that price plus 2$ like i said, for stamps and envelope and all that. So about 8.5$ in total. Maybe add 1$ if you want expedited (to get to you in 7-10 days instead of two-three weeks).
                      so if i send 10 $ u'll send me all those..???

Comment

Also as i said id try using this pc with the temperory (local)caps to see the effect and i noticed that the cpu and other hard ware component's temperature is peaking...i.e. 65c for GFX card(normally doesnt happen) 70c for processor and hdd touching58-62....
                        also if i leave my cpu without any load that is do nothing the temp drops cpu= 52, gfx= 54 and hdd=51c..

one more thing i noticed after leaving it without doing anything for an hour was that the cpu dedicated rail of 12v (aka..ATX 12v or P4 cable) started becoming hard and black like the wire is heating...and came to conclusion that the system may be unstable...
                        due to caps....

Comment

Yeah, pretty much. If you have paypal, it works out super fast and simple. Just pm your address and tomorrow (monday morning) i'll send them..

like i said, probably about 25-30 left out of a 50pcs order (click to zoom):

I keep them in matchboxes so that they aren't affected by humidity and mostly because i don't like them just thrown in a bag.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, pretty much. If you have paypal, it works out super fast and simple. Just pm your address and tomorrow (monday morning) i'll send them..

like i said, probably about 25-30 left out of a 50pcs order (click to zoom):

I keep them in matchboxes so that they aren't affected by humidity and mostly because i don't like them just thrown in a bag.
                            i dont have a pay pal account ... online net bank account only.....any options...

Comment

No, sorry, it would cost you more than 10 dollars in bank transfer fees. Western union and other payment methods also cost a lot in fees so it's out of the question.

Try to sign up to Paypal if you can otherwise i'm not sure i can help you.. anyway, this is getting off topic so better continue by PM'ing me, no point discussing it here.

(going to sleep, i'll be back in a few hours at least)

Comment

OT: or info:
                                There exsists general purpose capacitors with 1000uF 10V 105 degC which have ~1,5 or ~2 times ESR of those Rubycon ZLH, so theoreticaly speaking you "COULD" go with them (in some places, low consumption ?), but it's gamble (not recomended, GP caps have low endurance :-)...
                                (see edit note :-)

How long did old caps lasted (years of usage) ? What brand and serie were they ?

You should check PSU too, so big number of dead caps on modo -> probably some dead in PSU too. Gfx card should be examined too ( search for Sacon caps)...
                                Last edited by tmiha71; 05-28-2013, 02:46 PM. Reason: missed post #12

Comment

I have to 2nd that.
                                  If your HDD is getting that HOT! without a heavy disk load, it only gets its power from the PSU. Only ultra low voltage stuff comes across the SATA cable for data transfer purposes. So that shouldn't "technically" be a source of the problem.

Those temps for an HDD are waaaayyyy too hot. Not to mention your 4(2x2)pin CPU 12V cable should not be getting hot or changing color in any way at all!
                                  I would advise that you stop using your PC and leave it off.... RIGHT AWAY! Until you get this fixed. Lest it go....

Check that PSU as advised, unplug it from the wall, drain it by holding the PC power button for about 15 sec. Then unplug it all and tear it open, get acquainted with your flashlight & digital camera. Pictures would be excellent of the old caps you pulled out, the new ones you put in, the board & of course the PSU.

To upload your photos, so they can be preserved on the BadCaps servers for all to see down the road. Use the "manage attachments" button at the bottom of the full post editor, up to 2k resolution is fine. Use one of the formats for your photos that as listed in that upload window.
                                  This way we'll all get nice, high quality shots that we can zoom in on.
                                  Be sure to crop out any stuff that doesn't pertain to what we're looking at. IE, fluffy the cat, or your entire dining room table.

The CPU & GFX card are hot, but not exactly alarming.
                                  Ath64s get pretty stinkin' hot.
                                  I would check the thermal grease on your CPU HSF. Make sure the computer is free from dust buildup & that the CPU fan works & spins freely. As well as the other case fans & the PSU fan too.
                                  It's not the sole source of your problem, the other needs attending to 1st. But the computer's cooling systems need to be checked.

Here's a good read on doing thermal grease like a pro!!
                                  How to properly apply TIM (Thermal Grease)
                                  How to properly apply thermal grease - Y_not's way.

Comment

Ok first of thanks everyone for helping and yaa i didn't turn of my pc till i fixed that over voltage issue

i went out for a while then returned on the 1st of june. i started working on my motherboard again with
                                    the new ZLH series i got from RSdelivers and removed the temporary ones(image below).

this is one of the old busted cap 1 of the many 16 caps. i don't know what make it is(only written TK)

and this is the new good one

fixed all new caps and now my board is back to normal with hdd temperatures around 39-45 c
                                    the cpu normal temperature is around 52-55 and gaming temp is 59-64 which i guess is ok cause my friend
                                    said AMD athlon 64 x2 tends to heat a lot and thats normal (lol i wonder) and that left me with just the gpu
                                    heating 64c to 68 c weird but then when i asked in another a tech here he said Zotac gpu have heating
                                    problems so watch out for that...

well all is ok now... My system is 4years and 3 months old (including the GPU) and all parts served well
                                    without any issue till this problem.

I guess its time to bid them farewell and get a new system......

One more thing i forgot to mention...My smps power line for the board cpu (the 4pin socket ) i said in previous
                                    post that the wires were hard and they were like burnt, well i had and old broken smps so i switched the wires with each other and i noticed the old ones wire had more temperature tolerence than my current smps (old broken smps 95 degree c and the burnt one i removed was 85 c) and also the wires were more thick....
                                    Now everything is working fine.....
                                    Thanks everyone for the help ......
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by firstview; 06-09-2013, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Looks Good. Your old caps were TK brand. It stands for Terrible Kapacitor (OK, just kidding. It's Toshin Kogyo). They are one of the most unreliable brands I know of.
                                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

That looks like a Partsnic cap

Comment

Working...
                                        X