Would these old rubys still be good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would these old rubys still be good

I have in front of my an older socket 7 board that I killed by scratching a trace around the CPU socket. It has 11 Rubycon YXG 1000uf 6.3v in 8mm diameter. Harder to find in 8mm, but are they worth pulling considering their age?
    Ludicrous gibs!

Re: Would these old rubys still be good

sure I think it's worth the hassle. You never know when you might need them. I would put them it a board but away from the cpu cause that is a high heat area; sorry if I just stated the obvious.

Comment

I was taught to never reuse a cap, but I would decide on each situation.
      Jim

Comment

I reuse good caps from dead boards. Now I use ESR meter to test them but I haven't seen bad one yet.

Comment

i often pull high quality caps from scrap boards.
          mostly polymers/mlcc
          do it at the same time as heatgunning mosfets and vrm chips.

Comment

If you want a somewhat better measure of comfort, charge each cap to ~6V through a 1K resistor and leave it connected to the P/S for an hour or so. This is what the cap mfrs recommend for caps that have not been used for a year or two.
            PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
            To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              If you want a somewhat better measure of comfort, charge each cap to ~6V through a 1K resistor and leave it connected to the P/S for an hour or so. This is what the cap mfrs recommend for caps that have not been used for a year or two.
              That is because the dielectric components of the cap breaks down and to rebuild it you need to give it a voltage. for example a cap that is still good but unused for 10 years i would feed a low voltage and gradualy increase it but i tend to use 2.4K OHM resestors for a nice state of current building. of course you would need a desk PSU w/ variable voltage like my 0-30V 0-10AMP one that i built from instructions on the I-Net.
              Sorry if that sounds weird. i didnt sleep last night so i am extremly tired.

Stats Reset Every Month.
              My Forums

Comment

Rubycon YXG are general purpose caps and should not be used in P3/K7 or newer motherboards.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil_123
                  Rubycon YXG are general purpose caps and should not be used in P3/K7 or newer motherboards.
                  No, it is should be YXA(general purpose), not YXG. You should be made a mistake. YXG can find in many P3 motherbaords. I don't suggest YXG in P4 or above systems.
                  My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Comment

Working...
                  X